Sponsored Links

How can they offer such low prices? Is it sustainable?

Even at the current pricing, assuming their installation methods are uniform (so it's easy to tell) I would estimate a 10% take up after a year or so of availability.
This is unrelated, but I can say that on my street takeup as at least 50%. I can tell because I see the black fibre cables with the signature service loop that looks the same on every property. The only other thing coming from the utility poles is Openreach VDSL2 and those are thicker and look different.

Our options on our street are Openreach (VDSL2 only), VM (HFC only), CF, and very recently Hyperoptic, but they are so much more expensive than CF for the same product that I don't see anyone choosing them unless they didn't know about CF.

So basically, on our street almost everyone had Virgin because even their cheapest plan is much better than VDSL2. But since CF came, they've switched en masse to it because you can get 940/940 full fibre for the same price as VM's 135/20 HFC, plus everyone hates VM, so it's a no brainer...

And CF has made sure everyone around here knows about them because they send promo materials aggressively. I actually had to contact them and ask them to stop because I was getting letters every 2-3 weeks for years.

Last edited:
This is unrelated, but I can say that on my street takeup as at least 50%. I can tell because I see the black fibre cables with the signature service loop that looks the same on every property. The only other thing coming from the utility poles is Openreach VDSL2 and those are thicker and look different.
After just over two years live in my area they're past 20%, but I'm also seeing a similar number of Openreach FTTP connections. Goes to show that it's all about marketing and pricing, not technology.

After just over two years live in my area they're past 20%, but I'm also seeing a similar number of Openreach FTTP connections. Goes to show that it's all about marketing and pricing, not technology.
Yes but marketing costs money too. In my street they have done little advertising and it's about 10-15% after 1 year.

really informative discussion in this thread. thanks all.

I never checked my monthly data be honest. since joining CF definitely changed a lot as you can imagine...

Download:
Max speed (includes manual limiter): 2.98 Gb/s
Avg: 11.0 Mb/s
Total: 2.86 Tb

Upload:
max speed (with limiter): 2.72 Gb/s
Avg: 17.9 Mb/s
Total: 4.64 Tb

(influxdb/grafana stats, not a vnstat or something better)
What program/website can you use to check this data?

CF also conveniently provides a Technicolor WiFi 6 router with only 1Gbps LAN switch ports on the 3Gbps service I believe, would be grateful if someone can confirm this.

Sponsored Links
CF also conveniently provides a Technicolor WiFi 6 router with only 1Gbps LAN switch ports on the 3Gbps service I believe, would be grateful if someone can confirm this.
I believe the Technicolor FGA 5330 is a multi-gigabit router. See this thread:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/3000mb-service.39515/

But I am familiar with their latest tactics. One users said they left him a gigagit router on the 3Gb service as they didn't have any other routers...

I believe the Technicolor FGA 5330 is a multi-gigabit router. See this thread:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/3000mb-service.39515/

But I am familiar with their latest tactics. One users said they left him a gigagit router on the 3Gb service as they didn't have any other routers...
Just found the CF suport page for the Technicolor router. 3x gigabit LAN ports and a single 10Gb LAN port, with SFP+ port for connecting to Adtran ONT.

The yellow ports are for Local Area Network (LAN) connections up to a maximum of 1 Gbps.

The red port is for a Wide Area Network (WAN) connection up to a maximum of 1 Gbps.

The silver port <...10...> is for a LAN connection up to a maximum of 10 Gbps., however it will deliver the maximum speed of your 3 Gbps package on the LAN side of the network.

1699178654092.png

Bit stingy as the LAN ports should be minimum 2.5GbE.

But that's also because you have Openreach FTTP, we don't. Only VDSL2. That's why CF absolutely dominates my street.

What program/website can you use to check this data?
I run a docker based influxdb + grafana + telegraf setup. its self-hosted not some website.

And CF has made sure everyone around here knows about them because they send promo materials aggressively. I actually had to contact them and ask them to stop because I was getting letters every 2-3 weeks for years.

I remember seeing coils of "wire" on the pole outside my house 2-3 months back. I didn't realise it was fibre. I'm not up on FTTP so didn't know it was delivered from the poles. I haven't one one single bit of literature off CF to say the service is available to me, I'd never even heard of them until coming on here to see if I could find any info on Open Infra who are looking at installing in our area and have dropped a couple of items through my letter box and had cold callers coming round too.

Sponsored Links
I remember seeing coils of "wire" on the pole outside my house 2-3 months back. I didn't realise it was fibre. I'm not up on FTTP so didn't know it was delivered from the poles. I haven't one one single bit of literature off CF to say the service is available to me, I'd never even heard of them until coming on here to see if I could find any info on Open Infra who are looking at installing in our area and have dropped a couple of items through my letter box and had cold callers coming round too.
Yeah their marketing is patchy. In some areas they hammer people and in others they seem to ignore.

@MrMellie

Is Community Fibre actually available to you yet according to (say) one of the price comparison websites?

It is well within the bounds of the possible that your pole is done but something elsewhere prevents service being offered.

If the Community Fibre offer meets your requirements then it is worth investigating.

@Barnet Well according to their website when I bang in my post code and confirm my address, yes it is available. I can get an appointment for installation next week.

Is Community Fibre actually available to you yet according to (say) one of the price comparison websites?

Thank you for making me not go directly with them. By going through USwitch, I've hopefully got a £120 Amazon voucher heading my once service is up and running.

None of us really know the answer but I suspect they're trying to expand as fast as possible so they can sell to whoever wants to buy up all these altnets. One day we'll have Open Reach, Virgin, and one or two other networks. Hopefully that'll result in the end costs to us being fairly low

I referred a few people in the last week and CF are giving away 12m free with every 24m 1Gbps or above contract! So a good time to join if you’ve been sitting on the fence, however no referrals accepted as only one offer allowed.

If I emailed a CF investor the situation here I dont think they would be happy. Doing city rollouts that take 3+ years, and not connecting ISP's prior to going green but instead leaving people sitting for 6+ months with a rolled out infrastructure but no ability to order.

If I emailed a CF investor the situation here I dont think they would be happy. Doing city rollouts that take 3+ years, and not connecting ISP's prior to going green but instead leaving people sitting for 6+ months with a rolled out infrastructure but no ability to order.
Indeed. This month marks 6 months since they did the fibre under the pavement and up the poles. If I look at our poles they all have the gubbins and there are signs on the poles warning of fibre above (I didn't know such signs were necessary).

We also had them come back about a week ago and they were doing testing with tablets and things on the poles.

That's 6 months they could have been receiving money from customers just like you're saying, not great for investors.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules