Sponsored Links

How do OpenReach engineers test whether the CBT on a pole is activated?

dqj999

Casual Member
I've recently had a failed FTTP Full Fibre installation (for BT) because the CBT (Connectorised Block Terminal) on the pole had not been activated. My question is this: how do the installation engineers determine this? Can this be tested remotely?

In my case the contractor for OpenReach connected my house to the CBT, installing a Nokia ONT but then found that the LOS light was Red (presumably Loss Of Service). At this point he said that he couldn't do any more and a new visit (3 weeks later!) has been arranged. It seems impossible to get OpenReach to confirm whether they are going to activate the CBT on the day, or whether some hapless contractor is going to find exactly the same problem. If this happens how can I get this fixed on a priority basis.

If by chance some well informed OpenReach person should see this, then a photo of the pole info is attached. My house will be the first to be connected to this CBT,

Derek

Attachments

• CBT.jpg
    CBT.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,076
So that's an odd one. While we do tend to see delays with the PON side going live (flashing green PON light on the wall ONT unit), the CBT side of things is usually all sorted out before that. I'd suggest raising it via Openreach's twitter team as all of our contacts are pretty slow or absent this week due to holidays etc.

Thanks Mark, I've attempted to post something to their Twitter account. OpenReach are due back tomorrow so let's see what happens!

Sponsored Links
I've had this recently on an install. ONT was pre-installed in the business unit but after order, no service. OR engineer came out and confirmed that the cable was connected to the CBT so then needed to escalate to FND team as it would either be that the CBT wasn't spliced into the nearest node or at the exchange.

I think in the end it took around a week to get everything resolved and the service activated for the customer.

So that's an odd one. While we do tend to see delays with the PON side going live (flashing green PON light on the wall ONT unit), the CBT side of things is usually all sorted out before that. I'd suggest raising it via Openreach's twitter team as all of our contacts are pretty slow or absent this week due to holidays etc.

I've tried using the suggested Twitter link but all I get is their TwitterBot that sends me on a loop and ends with "Please speak to your phone or broadband provider (the company you pay your bills to) as they hold all your personal information and will be able to check things for you. Your service provider will have access to Openreach updates that they can share with you."

To make matters worse now, Openreach failed to turn up for their last appointment and now I have to wait till Wednesday after the Bank Holiday to get another home visit appointment that would be probably not be needed if they fixed the original problem with the installation.
OTU.jpg

Even with a CBT that is not commissioned (active) it would not bring on a Loss light, the loss light means that there is not enough or to much light coming down the fibre from the CBT, so the issue with yours seems to be either a dirty port in the CBT, not spliced, the engineer has broken the cable when pulling, or his splice in the CSP is broken, if light is good the LoS would not show, but a flashing PON light if the CBT is not active

Even with a CBT that is not commissioned (active) it would not bring on a Loss light, the loss light means that there is not enough or to much light coming down the fibre from the CBT, so the issue with yours seems to be either a dirty port in the CBT, not spliced, the engineer has broken the cable when pulling, or his splice in the CSP is broken, if light is good the LoS would not show, but a flashing PON light if the CBT is not active
Neil, Thanks for that info. Let's see what the next engineer makes of it all.

Sponsored Links
Same here, Digital Voice install for my elderly mum. Install completed, then OR engineer discovered no light on at pole connector (2 out of 4 ports were lit, but were connected already). So, no phone access over Christmas for her, lucky her fall alarm pendant connects by sim card..

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules