Sponsored

How reliable is ubiquiti Er-4/12 and will it handle 900Mbps pppoe?

ztolley

Casual Member
I have Zen 900Mbps FTTP and use the provided Fritzbox 7530 with wireless turned off and ethernet run through the house with a mesh network.

The fritzbox is fine but I find once a week or more the download speed goes goes as low as 150 instead of the 300 I used to have and the 900 I have now. Rebooting the box fixes it but I want something rock solid that doesn’t need a regular reboot. now maybe the fritzboxes are actually normally real good, but... if I went for a ubiquiti edge router, the 4 or 12, would it be any more reliable and would it be able to handle the speed? I’m still amazed the fritzbox handles gigabit down and when it’s working and not at peak time I get 918 which is probably the limit of my cabling.

more than happy configuring via command Line and if I can pull stats from it then even better

kommando828

Top Member
From my reading on the subject its the Firewall speed capability that's the issue, eg my Draytek 2925 has gigabit wan connectors but its firewall can only handle 300mbs due to software limitations. So you need one of the few other routers with a gigabit wan connection plus firewall also gigabit capable. As the Fritz is going flaky after a week or so I would be doing a factory reset and then upgrading to the latest firmware, if the same issue arises then it likely to be a bad component such as memory chip and a new box from Zen should sort it.

Cei

Casual Member
I went for the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and it has been doing a bang-up job at full line speed with IPS turned on etc. The ER-4 will do the speeds you want, but with various firewall features turned off - Ubiquiti haven't yet updated the ER products with the new hardware seen in the Unifi line (UDM Pro/UXG).

DaveD

Casual Member
I went for the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and it has been doing a bang-up job at full line speed with IPS turned on etc. The ER-4 will do the speeds you want, but with various firewall features turned off - Ubiquiti haven't yet updated the ER products with the new hardware seen in the Unifi line (UDM Pro/UXG).
I am running the UDM Pro too but would advise a little caution, it has the potential to be an awesome little box but..

1) It sucks up the power (the UDM Pro and 1x16 port switch draw 40w at the wall).

2) You can't assign multiple WAN IP addresses (VMB gave me 5 i think but i can only use one of them).

3) They are not as stable as I would expect but it is getter better as the firmware matures (random disconnects).

4) Enabling DPI breaks Sky's on demand downloads (sometimes movies eventually download, mostly not) - Turn off DPI and the problem immediately goes away.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2769)
  2. FTTP (2756)
  3. FTTC (1785)
  4. Building Digital UK (1743)
  5. Politics (1667)
  6. Openreach (1622)
  7. Business (1434)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1241)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1227)
  11. Fibre Optic (1064)
  12. 4G (1057)
  13. Wireless Internet (1021)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1015)
  15. Virgin Media (1006)
  16. EE (697)
  17. Vodafone (669)
  18. Sky Broadband (668)
  19. TalkTalk (663)
  20. 5G (517)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules