Sponsored Links

How to setup router in place of sky hub

Knowing what speed tier FTTP you went for, and what WiFi devices you are using could help us offer better guidance as WiFi will always be variable - location in the house, age of device, WiFi capabilities etc will all have a bearing on the achievable speed over WiFi
I think the OP said they had a 35M service. (Sky were selling 40/10 FTTP recently, instead of the 80/20 tier, but they've now gone back to 80/20)

Hi Hope you can help, so we have had sky fiber broadband installed. Openreach came and installed an ONT FTTP box to the property. It has an ethernet cable coming off it into the provided sky hub router. Were not getting consistent wifi coverage and the speeds vary.

Were on a 35mbps line. i was wanting to get rid of the sky hub and install a 3rd party modem router in like the tp-link ones. I understand that the ethernet cable from the ONT box will plug into the WAN port of the vdsl tp link modem router. But what configuration will I need to do to allow the sky internet to work with the new router? Many thanks
If you want to improve wireless, why don’t you add something like a ubiquity wireless point (or repurposed router) to your sky router. If you have any issues with your connection, your isp may well only support you when you use their router.

No, you would need to manually enter some settings into the Asus router, but its very easy to do this. Go to Advanced Settings > WAN > DHCP Options

Dhcp option 61
client identifier anything@skydsl|anything
Vlan id is left unticked
If asked for mtu 1500

Capture.jpg

Btw you may not need to install Merlin firmware on your RT-AC68 as the latest official Asus firmware may already show DHCP Option 60/61 in Advanced Settings > WAN.
Hi so got round to playing with the router. To test and to put the router on the latest firmware I've hooked it up to my other location (virgin media) and accessed the router settings. The latest firmware is now installed and it does look like it gives me the option for option 61

However when the router reset after firmware installed it went back to a fresh router setup screen (which is fine). After selecting what mode the router should be in (in my case default router mode) the next question was: does the ISP have any login requirements?

I hear that I should get this from the sky router, but where from? or if not do I just select no and follow the instruction you posted above?

Hopefully, this makes sense haha

Thanks again.

After selecting what mode the router should be in (in my case default router mode) the next question was: does the ISP have any login requirements?

I hear that I should get this from the sky router, but where from? or if not do I just select no and follow the instruction you posted above?
When you are asked 'does the ISP have any login requirements?' select NO. Then follow my earlier instructions.

When you are asked 'does the ISP have any login requirements?' select NO. Then follow my earlier instructions.
Brilliant thank you! And finally, if the router doesn't work well or can't get it connected for any reason then I can re connect the sky hub to the openreach ONT box and it will work as before?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry but they're telling you porkies. The VR600 100% supports DHCP Option 60/61 on Sky adsl/fttc lines (at least). The support agent clearly hasn't got the foggiest idea, you might as well have asked your cat (or any cat on the street)

However..............for Sky FTTP lines it seems any TP Link modem/router loses its Sky MER DHCP Option 60/61 setting once you put in in router mode only (ie switch off the modem)

If you have already bought the TP Link VR600 and it can't be returned, then the only way you can use it is to connect it to the Sky router, as an access point. Otherwise buy something like the Asus RT-AX86U which will easily work on Sky FTTP (you might need to install Merlin firmware on it)
Hi, jumping in here on the same topic for a bit of guidance please. I unfortunately have had to switch to Sky as Virgin isn't available where I've moved to. I used to be able to run the Virgin hub on modem mode and run my vpn off an asus ac86u. I would like to be able to run the asus vpn off the sky - how do i go about this in terms of settings on both the sky router and asus? Not ompletely clued up on bridge/ap modes. Many thanks

Hi, could anyone help me with the same issue. I want to use my asus ac86u with the skyhub and configure VPN. I have tried the asus on AP mode, but AP mode loses it's VPN functionality. Is there a better way of connecting the 2 routers to enable VPN mode on the asus? Thanks

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules