Sponsored

How to terminate account?

GTS

Casual Member
Does anyone know the correct/effective way to cancel my dial-up account? According to their FAQ and from the control panel, I should call them. However on their T&C it says I should write to them. I tried to call them today, but either could not get through, or was placed on a queue that was later cut off. This happened throughout the day (costing me £££). I will try again tomorrow, and meanwhile I will prepare a letter. However I find two addresses. From the contact details on their website, it is 211 Piccadilly, London. But on the T&C it is in Camberley, Surrey. Which is the right one?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Fast4 was run by NJP Services, which last year merged into Breathe and Breathe is currently having a lot of "fun" after causing problems for ZetNet's customers so I imagine their tiny support staff are swamped under complaints. Sadly you're stuck in the classic catch-22 situation of being unable to cancel because you cannot contact anybody at the ISP.

The Fast4.net domain is currently registered to Breathe's CEO, so your best bet looks to be the Piccadilly address but I'd just write to both and make sure it's sent via recorded delivery. You should also DEMAND a written confirmation of the cancellation and make sure to keep a scanned signed and dated copy of your letter:

admin-c-firstname: Marcus
admin-c-lastname: East
admin-c-organization: Breathe Networks Limited
admin-c-street1: 211 Piccadilly
admin-c-pcode: W1J 9HF
admin-c-city: London
admin-c-ccode: GB
admin-c-phone: +44.9010230373

Should you need to open a complaint then this section will help to resolve your problem:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/complain.shtml

GTS

Casual Member
Thanks Mark. I decided to send them a letter yesterday evening (to 211 Piccadilly), by recorded delivery. Incidentally the postcode they give on their website appears to be wrong - it belongs to some solicitors on Clarges Street.
The one you gave was correct.

Anyway I called them again this morning, and finally got through after 40 minutes. (There is a separate number for ZetNet customers, so in theory we shouldn't be swarmed.) I told them I wanted to cancel my account. Initially they said that would take place after 30 days, which meant the next payment would be collected. But when I said their FAQ state that "Cancellation for dial-up accounts can be done with immediate effect .... if you wish to cancel you MUST call on the day your (sic) wish your access to stop", they agreed to close my account immediately and not collect the next payment. Now I will see if they are true to their words.

To give credit where credit is due, the person I spoke to, Paul, was polite and helpful.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Did you catch his second name?

GTS

Casual Member
No, he didn't say and I didn't ask. I was just relieved to get through after two days of trying.

Mender

Top Member
...they agreed to close my account immediately and not collect the next payment. Now I will see if they are true to their words...
I would suggest you cancel your direct debit immediately so they can't take any more payments.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Most CC payments will have an ID attached to them and you can usually ask your bank to block any future collections from that. Mind you I'd always suggest getting the cancellation in writting (email/letter) first - evidence, though you shouldn't need to cancel if they've promised not to take another payment.

GTS

Casual Member
It's three weeks since I terminated my account and so far they haven't tried to collect extra payment from my credit card. Hopefully that's the end of the matter, though my status is still active (whatever that means) when I checked (using another ISP).

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2528)
  2. FTTP (2246)
  3. FTTC (1671)
  4. Building Digital UK (1615)
  5. Politics (1442)
  6. Openreach (1428)
  7. Business (1255)
  8. Statistics (1108)
  9. FTTH (1101)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1054)
  11. Fibre Optic (977)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (917)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (868)
  16. EE (601)
  17. Sky Broadband (598)
  18. TalkTalk (583)
  19. Vodafone (531)
  20. 3G (416)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules