Sponsored Links

Huawei 525 4g router - issue with iPhones

TomC

Casual Member
Hello. We have a B525s-23a 4g router. This works well for everything (Laptops, Sky, Nest etc.), but we have big issues with our iPhones. Some of the apps seem to work ok some of the time, but most the time they do not connect. It looks like there is a handshake issue as it starts to load, then gets stuck. If I switch off the phone wifi connection (i.e. use my phone 4g connection) the app will load. I can then switch back to the wifi and it will be ok. A good example of this is on the Sky Go app. If I do a network reset on the phone it can start working again ok for a few moments.

This happens for both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Does anyone recognise this issue please?

Are you on Three network?

Sponsored Links
The reason I asked about you being on Three is because they do all sorts of traffic shaping and inspection that lead to abnormalities such as hanged SSL handshakes and others, causing all sort of head aches.
Vodafone however is not known for this kind of behaviour and I tend to think it's not that given how only the Iphones are affected.

Ok that’s interesting thanks. Do you think it sounds like hanging ssl handshakes?

To expand the example, I can open the Sky Go app on the WiFi, and select to watch the cricket. Nothing happens. I then come off the wifi and the cricket starts playing. I then go back onto the wifi and the cricket continues to stream without any issues.

Hm, but besides the Sky Go app, do other apps work, such as web browsers?

Can you read/send email for example?

Other apps have the same issue. Some apps are ok most of the time, some apps are not most of the time. I can email.

Sponsored Links
Hm, could be a number of things. Let's try DNS first:
- If you get the app from Cloudflare called 1.1.1.1 (I guess, don't have Iphone) and enable it (go in it's settings and choose 1.1.1.1 _without_ warp), your DNS requests will go to Cloudflare. Does this help?
- If not, enable 1.1.1.1 _with_ warp and see if that fixes anything.

Oh, another thing that bit a user recently on this forum, do you have any sort of content blocking in your Vodafone account that could stop certain traffic? Try to disable it.

Oh, another thing that bit a user recently on this forum, do you have any sort of content blocking in your Vodafone account that could stop certain traffic? Try to disable it.
Yes we do have some content blocking - I’ll try this first. Thank you.

Ok so the vodafone block didnt seem to help. I have installed 1.1.1.1 - both the without and with warp seem to help the issue. From initial testing the with warp seems to help a bit more. What does this mean? :)

Sponsored Links
Well, first one means that just by changing the DNS you improved the experience. If your router allows it, set your DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 or any if the NextDNS ones etc. Or do it locally if the Iphone allows it, that's what the app does.

The second option is a VPN, it actually tunnels all your traffic via Cloudflare, this sorts out DNS issues as well as other network "quirks" such as MTU etc.

Hth

Ok so on my Huawei router, I have changed the DNS to 1.1.1.1. It doesnt make a difference. I then put Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 back on (without warp), and it starts working again. So I then disabled Cloudflare, and set my iPhone DNS to be 1.1.1.1, and that works ok as well. I'll test this on my partners iPhone too (who has the same issue), and if that works, does that mean we have "fixed" it? Or is our router broken?

Would you recommnend we continue to use Cloudflare with WARP?

thank you for all your help on this.

See if in the router settings for DHCP you can also set the name servers for the LAN to 1.1.1.1, if it doesn't allow it, then set it manually, if the setting sticks and survives reboots and reconnecting then no need for the app.

the router seems to be holding the DNS now, thank you. Things are now a lot better, slightly slower than using the 4G, but still better.

why does setting the dns manually fix this?

thank you again for your help - it’s a big relief! Fingers crossed it keeps working!)

Sponsored Links
Well, DNS is key to translating domain names into IP addresses which is the level that the Internet operates at .. and it has been a solved problem for decades as it's a simple protocol, but due to either incompetence (more often than not) or malevolence ISPs keep messing it up.
I can't know what is wrong with name resolution in your case, I'd have to be there to test, I hope the fix will last.

Changing the DNS should not slow you down. If you feel it's slower double check you're not using the Cloudflare warp vpn thingy.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules