Sponsored Links

Huawei 5G CPE and Vodafone Speed Switching from Three

dboy3

Casual Member
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help?

I currently have a Huawei 5g CPE (H112-372), I'm currently on three but whant to switch to Vodafone Max Unlimited data, voice and messages SIM, as a neignbour of mine is getting over 150Mbits/s and on three, I'm not getting anywhere near that!

The issue is, to test the router and new vodaphone SIM would be OK, I first put it in my phone, and doing a speed test, can get over over 150Mbits/s when I put it into the H112-372 I can only get 15-20Mbits/s max. I checked the APN and the APN on the phone, and there is a distict lack of settings on the router. The H112-372 picks up a APN that works for Vodafone.

I chose the data, voice and messages SIM as it is currently cheaper than the DATA SIM.

Do I need the DATA only SIM? or can I get the 150 Mbits/s from the data, voice and message SIM, if yes, how ?

Thanks in advance

So do the APN match, phone vs router?
Any SIM should work, even a Voxi one, though of course some Vodafone ones are speed capped, 10 Mbps if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, the APN match, as much as they can, on the router, it is very limited, save for user name, password, authentication, IP type, APN and set DNS manually - that is it. On the phone there is a whole host of additional settings.

I don't think it is speed capped as I say, in my phone, I can get over 150 Mbits/s with the same SIM, in the router, I cannot get over 20 Mbits/s

Sponsored Links
I think it’s your router. I had one of these routers and the 5G in my area can do 500Mbps where as I was only get about 120 at most.

You need to make sure that your router is actually receiving 4g+ as opposed to 4g. The router's home page should show it after logging in. On mine it shows below the signal strength graphic next to the provider name. If your router doesn't allow you to select particular bands, get an LTE monitor such as LTEH Monitor or LTE Inspecteur for your PC where you can play around with band selection. Your router may be automatically selecting the strongest signal which may not be the fastest.
Since you currently have two sims to play with you might want to try band selection with both. With LTE Inspecteur you can select carrier aggregation to combine bands, with LTEH Monitor just select additional band(s) in the radio menu.

Thanks for that - I've been using LTE H Monitor, it shows 4G+

I'll have go at the band selection

Sponsored Links
You need to make sure that your router is actually receiving 4g+ as opposed to 4g. The router's home page should show it after logging in. On mine it shows below the signal strength graphic next to the provider name. If your router doesn't allow you to select particular bands, get an LTE monitor such as LTEH Monitor or LTE Inspecteur for your PC where you can play around with band selection. Your router may be automatically selecting the strongest signal which may not be the fastest.
Since you currently have two sims to play with you might want to try band selection with both. With LTE Inspecteur you can select carrier aggregation to combine bands, with LTEH Monitor just select additional band(s) in the radio menu.
I've managed to eck out some more speed from my three sim but nothing more from the Vodafone sim.

Using data from LTE H Monitor, the three cell tower I'm picking up, isnt actually the closest - looks to be 1-1.5 miles away.

Its quite frustrating as I know that Vodafone cell tower that I should be picking up, is within 600m of my house, and practical line of site!

Oh well, partial success. Is the performance improvement from Three enough to favour it over Vodaphone? In my location Three's performance fluctuates considerably, between around 30 mb/s down at peak times to 160mb/s down late at night. But they don't seem to worry about how much I download and HD streaming is fine. Oh, and it's cheap!

Yes, I can confirm that three performance absolutely pings pongs from good (for me) to poor. In the middle of the night, I can get upto 60-70 mb/s then during the day it can be as little as 8 mb/s typically it is around about 20-30 mb/s.

This is still better than my (now discountined) fibre connection, which was at 10 mb/s.

Frustratingly, Vodafone, is capable on my phone of 150 mb/s + just not in the expensive router I have.

I'm considering on getting the Vodafone SIM and putting it into an old phone and connecting a wireless bridge into my network and getting the 150 mb/s speed that way.

The cost of the Vodafone sim right now, is £25 per month on Unlimited Max on a 24 month contract, the three sim I have now, is £18 per month, which is coming to an end shortly

If I could get anywhere new 150 mb/s I would all over the Vodafone sim!

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely an old phone would be able to reach 150 Mbps over LTE, let alone sustain that over wifi. Maybe over usb tethering.

Can you try another router, maybe a B818-263? (quick return if it doesnt work)

The Vodafone can be got cheaper not going direct and getting rebates, my Draytek 2925ac router can connect to a mobile hotspot and use it as a WAN. As long as you get the ac version the wifi connection should match the Voda speeds the phone gets,

It's unlikely an old phone would be able to reach 150 Mbps over LTE, let alone sustain that over wifi. Maybe over usb tethering.

Can you try another router, maybe a B818-263? (quick return if it doesnt work)
Oh, when I say old phone, I just mean a phone that isn't my current one, I have a old Xiaomi 5G Mix 3.

I was thinking of trying another router, but a bit loathed to given the amount of money that I spent on the Huawei 5G CPE

But I will try the USB tethering as I do have a travel router - if I can find it!

The Vodafone can be got cheaper not going direct and getting rebates, my Draytek 2925ac router can connect to a mobile hotspot and use it as a WAN. As long as you get the ac version the wifi connection should match the Voda speeds the phone gets,
Thanks, I appreciate that you could possibly get it cheaper, I'm a heard a few horror stories of getting the rebates and not turning up.

Not had an issue with mine, email the bills and get acknowledgement 2 days later and the refund another 4 days back into bank account. Affordable Mobiles.

Sponsored Links
Not had an issue with mine, email the bills and get acknowledgement 2 days later and the refund another 4 days back into bank account. Affordable Mobiles.
Wow! I've just checked - its way cheaper. Its actually cheaper than my three sim!

I've decided I'm going to swap to Vodafone and get myself a DrayTek router, so that I can use it the phone tethered to the router, that way the phone is powered by the router (only one plug to worry about)

Thanks for everybodies replies !

Now, which DrayTek!?

Only a limited few,

and obsolete so I bought an unused one off ebay for £60.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules