Sponsored Links

Huawei B310, no ASDA/Vodafone 4G?

Gache

Hi, longtime lurker here but first post! I've just acquired a Huawei B310s-22 to replace the Zyxel 4g router I've been using since 2020. I'm with ASDA Mobile so using Vodafone's network.

Problem is, the B310 can't seem to see a Vodafone 4G signal. 4G is on Band 20, which the B310 is supposed to support? It can see and connect to 3's 4G, also on Band 20, just fine; but can only see Vodafone 3G (band 8, 900 MHz).

I'm a bit lost. Any suggestions for what I might be missing?

Hi,

The Huawei B310s-22 was first announced 7 years ago.

It should support, B1, B3, B7, B8 and B20 on 4G.
What firmware is it running?

What zyxel have you been using?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll try and work through from the top...

The Zyxel is an LTE3202-m430. Bought it in 2020 when lockdown sent the local ADSL from ~600k to 74k. It was "used" but I think it was a customer return, there was a break in the power adapter cable, at any rate I used a spare adapter and all worked fine for 18 months. Then it took to having an unresponsive admin interface or spontaneous reboots if it wasn't manually restarted often enough. 4G is now effectively unusable, it reboots every few minutes. 3G is *mostly* ok if it's manually rebooted once a day, but not always – recently it rebooted during a Zoom call. Factory reset doesn't help; I can't reflash because I didn't keep a copy of the firmware and Zyxel seem to have stopped distributing it.

SIMs have been 3, Smarty, and then Asda since they switched to Vodafone. 3 & Smarty give 3-5 Mbps down / 1-2 Mbps up while Asda is 6-8 Mbps down/2 Mbps up. Speeds are usually lower at weekends and in the tourist season so I've always assumed they're mostly driven by contention rather than signal quality.

The B310. Not sure what firmware version it's running. It's Huawei branded and said there aren't any updates available. Admin interface not loading at the moment, so another reset in order before I can check the exact version.

I did try manual network selection; this works ok with a 3 SIM in there, but with the Asda SIM it mostly says "failed" rather than producing a list of networks. The two times it came up with the list, it then failed to connect to a chosen network.

Hadn't thought that there might be a problem with the Asda SIM card. It's back in the Zyxel at the moment, I'll have to investigate at an hour when I can take it out without cutting off the rest of the family's internet access!

Never heard of the idea of factory reset when swapping SIM cards before. I'll try that when changing them over later!

Hi,

The Huawei B310s-22 was first announced 7 years ago.

It should support, B1, B3, B7, B8 and B20 on 4G.
What firmware is it running?

What zyxel have you been using?
It says it's running 21.313.05.00.00. I guess it's Huawei firmware? There's no carrier branding anywhere.

It says it's running 21.313.05.00.00. I guess it's Huawei firmware? There's no carrier branding anywhere.
That's from 2016, the latest according to 4pda is 21.333.

Looks like it has never been used, there's a good discussion here if you use google translate:

Modified firmware here: https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=700481&st=880#entry55558024

This will require taking the unit apart to use the needle method of flashing.

Last edited:
That's from 2016, the latest according to 4pda is 21.333.

Looks like it has never been used, there's a good discussion here if you use google translate:

Modified firmware here: https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=700481&st=880#entry55558024

This will require taking the unit apart to use the needle method of flashing.
Thanks meritez, I'll have a look, but people who take their routers apart are usually a lot braver than I am 😉

After another reset, the B310 is precising a good stable connection, even if only on 3G. A couple of times it's switched to 2G. Trying to set connection choice to manual, though, I noticed that although it announces the connection will stop, the connection light doesn't actually go red. It just stays blue and after a while the admin page says "Failed." With the Three SIM, the light goes red, the connection stops, and then it produces a list of networks.

The ASDA SIM seems to work ok in my phone though, so I'm not sure what to make of that!

Sponsored Links
I think you're dealing with very old modem firmware.

Regarding your zyxel, it does look like a discontinued model, I can find firmware for the m432 and m437 but nothing for the m430.

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5512)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules