Sponsored Links

Huawei B525-65a Bands on Three

dan_b

Hi folks!
My first post here so please go easy and thanks in advance for your advice.
So, I have a B525-65a on Three. I’ve read about turning on and off bands to get locked to a possibly weaker band, but with a higher speed so I thought I’d look into it.
I downloaded the LTE Manager app on my iPhone then had a nosey. I’m aware of the long list of 4G bands the 65a variant can use, but can anyone tell me why the app isn’t showing them all?? Specifically I was looking into turning on band 32 (and the other band it can join with which I’ve forgotten right now!). Where I was trying it out there’s only masts with bands 1, 3 and 20, so my thought that the app only showed what bands the router picks up is obviously wrong as it shows numerous others, but no band 32?? Can anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers!!

32 is not used on many masts by Three yet. I have only 3 and 20 and no 1. You would have to speak to the app developers on why only some bands and not others are displayed. This is the first mention of an iPhone Ltd manager app, all previous ones are android or windows.

Presumably its this one, who's version history shows it's only been around for a few months and looks to be from an Italian developer.

What I am surprised about is that it works with the B525 - I thought the firmware on those were Huawei's previous version and may not have the same APIs as the newer models do.

AFAIK, the Huawei APIs don't advertise which bands are detected/broadcasting in the area, rather they list which bands the device hardware is capable of, however the receiving app must also be able to interpret the API data to decode it and be programmed to display that accordingly.

My guess is that they haven't including programming for B32 - it's not a band that is used widely in other countries, including Italy- so its not unexpected that software developed by someone from there hasn't included the necessary configurations for it. I see that the B525 isn't a device they have noted as being tested against (B535, B818 and B618 are listed).

As kommando says, contacting the developer would be the way forwards - it looks like in the latest v1.2 version they have added B8 and B40 so its should be technically possible, once the appropriate message is programmed into the software.

FYI: I've heard of an instance with HuaCtrl (Android app) where it shows B32 as lock-able, but when selecting that doesn't actually do anything within the router - it can't be sending the appropriate message for that to be applied successfully, so the router ignores it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just downloaded the app on my iPhone. I believe the EE mast I connect to only has Band 3 (2 carriers). The app shows me correctly with primary band 3 and 4G+. In the currently enabled bands list shows B1+B3+B7+B20, with the ability to add B8 and B40 (or set to Auto). Oddly (the app writer is Italian), the non-selected bands (8 and 40) are shown as "BANDA" rather than "BAND".

Oops, yes it's clearly Italian - I must not have had enough coffee this morning - or I'm blaming being on a conference call with our French colleagues at the time...

As suspected, the router/APIs/app all need to be in sync with what bands are supported by each - I'm not sure what router you have GaryW, or what bands it supports, but it sounds like the app perhaps doesn't filter out the B8/40 as available options (either if the API doesn't return them as available, or there is a per-device config within the app to whitelist the bands per model)

Hey folks, I’ve managed to grab a screen shot of the ban selection screen for your info. Also FYI... I selected the auto toggle which is below the band listing (you have to scroll to see it) and it’s switched some bands off... no idea why haha

Attachments

• 579891EB-8592-47B9-B6E7-FC973659A5C9.jpeg
    579891EB-8592-47B9-B6E7-FC973659A5C9.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 135
Hey folks, I’ve managed to grab a screen shot of the ban selection screen for your info. Also FYI... I selected the auto toggle which is below the band listing (you have to scroll to see it) and it’s switched some bands off... no idea why haha
Here's the bands comparison in HuaCtrl with the deselected selection on Auto.

When you first select auto most of them are on, then the router says, nope not having that band, nope not that one either and the grab below is what's left. :giggle:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210127-132525_huaCtrl PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20210127-132525_huaCtrl PRO.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
Hi folks!
My first post here so please go easy and thanks in advance for your advice.
So, I have a B525-65a on Three. I’ve read about turning on and off bands to get locked to a possibly weaker band, but with a higher speed so I thought I’d look into it.
I downloaded the LTE Manager app on my iPhone then had a nosey. I’m aware of the long list of 4G bands the 65a variant can use, but can anyone tell me why the app isn’t showing them all?? Specifically I was looking into turning on band 32 (and the other band it can join with which I’ve forgotten right now!). Where I was trying it out there’s only masts with bands 1, 3 and 20, so my thought that the app only showed what bands the router picks up is obviously wrong as it shows numerous others, but no band 32?? Can anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers!!
I’m struggling to get this app to login via router settings. Any advice? I’m just using default IP, admin as user name and the password I use to login via web interface

Hi @dan_b On my B525 and local Three PoW mast ( bands B1,B3,B20,B28,B32 and n78) then the only combo the router can manage CA with B32 involved is B20+B32. If you add in any other bands like B1 or B3 then it will not kick in the CA for B32...

With UL band lock to B20 I.e band filter set to just B20+B32 I was getting 100 DL and ~8 UL. The UL is about the best you can hope for on B20...

This was an acceptable trade-off for me as it is just a back-up router (now replaced with a 5G Huawei CPE Pro). The VoIP SIP worked very well and while it lasts 3G calling if you want to just plug an analog phone in the back.

I’m struggling to get this app to login via router settings. Any advice? I’m just using default IP, admin as user name and the password I use to login via web interface
Try selecting menu Configuration and in the login panel select Method:API

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules