Sponsored Links

Huawei B535-232 4g/LTE Router Issue

I am still convinced there is an issue with the WiFI on my B535, when the browser fails I jump onto the other WiFi router and it works.
But does it ever 'fail' if you stick to using your PlusNet router only? If you wait on it failing on the B535, then switch to the PlusNet, by the time you've done that, the DNS lookup (or whatever is going on) could've been completed by the B535, making the PlusNets job easy (just a guess).

I'm not sure if the problem you're having with your B535 on Vodafone, is the same problem everyone else is having with it on Three. Who knows though, difficult to tell.

BTW, use Huawei lan 2-4 port and not port 1, as this is also used for wan.
Port 1 is meant to be a Gigabit LAN/WAN port, so it should be possible to use it for LAN connections. Presumably, Network Settings > Ethernet Settings > Connection mode = LAN only

Tried using a second router as WiFi but had the same stalling problem. Tried every tip mentioned on here but nothing worked

Tried every tip mentioned on here but nothing worked
Did you try a VPN? That should work, but obviously it'll be slower unless you have a paid VPN subscription. And I don't think there are any easy VPN services for devices like XBox's (but certainly you can install a free one on your phone/laptop and eliminate the stalling problem on those devices).

Didn't try one on the router as I don't really want to spend any more money on it. Did try 1.1.1.1 Warp on my phone and it helped a lot but obviously just the phone. Does make me think though something like Nord VPN might help. Tried 1.1.1.1 in the DNS on the 535 but very limited if any effect

But does it ever 'fail' if you stick to using your PlusNet router only? If you wait on it failing on the B535, then switch to the PlusNet, by the time you've done that, the DNS lookup (or whatever is going on) could've been completed by the B535, making the PlusNets job easy (just a guess).

I'm not sure if the problem you're having with your B535 on Vodafone, is the same problem everyone else is having with it on Three. Who knows though, difficult to tell.
Yeah, it seems its still happening even on PlusNet router.

You are happily browsing, then it just stalls on someones device (not all devices at the same time), then times out, usually disconnecting and connection WiFi sorts it otherwise you have to wait for a while and it springs back to life.

Router stats don't look too bad but I would like to get the SINR up above 10 to rule that out.

You are happily browsing, then it just stalls on someones device (not all devices at the same time), then times out........

I wonder if three are limiting connections? So when you reach a specific number.

You can reproduce this by throwing 50 (well seeded) torrents into your favorite client and forcing them all to start. What happens is it gets to around 150+ connections and you momentarily watch in awe as you see what amazing bandwidth your getting.......... then quick as a flash your bandwidth tanks at that point the webpage issue arises instantly when this happens.

However if you then pause 25 of the torrents, it zooms back up to maximum download bandwidth again.

Of course this can also happen fairly easily with multiple browser connections simultaneously as most browsers now use multiple connections and instances these days.

Update: Just tried it with 2 torrents both heavily seeded with around 90 connections each it was downloading at around 1-2MBps with webpages timing out. However pausing one results in it going up to 5MBps and the page loading issue vanishes.

Honestly, Three don't have a clue how to manage its network, do they!!

Didn't try one on the router as I don't really want to spend any more money on it. Did try 1.1.1.1 Warp on my phone and it helped a lot but obviously just the phone. Does make me think though something like Nord VPN might help. Tried 1.1.1.1 in the DNS on the 535 but very limited if any effect
That 1.1.1.1 WARP service from Cloudflare is a VPN not just an alternative DNS. They route the traffic through Cloudflare for better performance.

you’ll likely have significantly improved service with pretty much any reputable VPN service.

Just tried the WARP thing on my mobile and I'm very impressed. Its certainly the quickest VPN solution I've seen, and considering its free I can't wait for them to release the windows desktop solution!

For me i think and what I have read and seen from my own experience, the SINR has a big impact on connection bandwidth. All of my other parameters are good, but the bandwidth was never good. I can tell especially when i am netflix streaming/youtube/video calls. Since sticking my antenna on a broomstick about 2.5 meters out the window, the SINR improved to 7 and vastily improved the quality of the connection. Everything was streaming HD.
“Speed” was always 30mbps, even with internal antenna.

I believe a wildly swinging SINR can be a side effect of contention on your mast as it struggles to keep up with requests as its bandwidth drops.

Only downside on android is its a bit of a battery hog with WARP running the VPN in the background constantly.

Looking forward to the desktop version, seems like it'll solve a lot of three problems.

I believe a wildly swinging SINR can be a side effect of contention on your mast as it struggles to keep up with requests as its bandwidth drops.

I managed to find a sweet spot for my router in the loft using rabbit ears. The SINR is now between +6 and +12, which made a big difference to stability of the connection.

If I can get the RSRQ from -10 to -6 I will be happy as that will keep my speed constantly high. Its maxing out at about 25mb up and down now and seems to be staying there. Only had 1 timeout in 2 days now using the B535 WiFi.

I cant get LTE+ no matter what I try.

I think we're aware that the B535/Three 'page-load-stall' issue, is something to do with Three's 'inspection' of the data traffic from the B535 onto their network (perhaps something to do with how they determine when you're using 'Go Binge' data). And I think we've seen that using a VPN to encrypt your data prevents Three screwing about with the data & alleviates the page-load-stall issue. However, reputable VPNs cost money (and as someone said in another thread "why should I have to pay for a VPN to get the service I already pay Three for"?).

This got me wondering about the data going across to Threes network, and a little bit of Googling taught me that DNS lookups are completely open & unencrypted (so your ISP can freely log what websites you visit). And of course, some clever people have long ago come up with a solution to unencrypted DNS lookups.

You can now use "DNS over HTTPS" (DoH) and there is a developer setting in Chrome & other browsers to switch this on (Google it).

However, you can also set up a DoH service on a PC or Linux box and use that as your LAN DNS server.

If, like me, you already have a cheap & tiny Raspberry Pi computer and can install "Pi-hole" on it as an 'ad-blocker' and DNS server, then you can also set that up as a DoH service. In fact, there are two options in this respect: cloudflared DoH and dnscrypt-proxy:

The general consensus seems to be that dnscrypt is the faster/simpler solution. I tried both & at first found cloudflared DoH to work well, but then I ran into issues with the service on my Pi which I couldn't figure out. I found dnscrypt to be more robust & faster.

Anyway, the reason for posting about these here, is because encrypting my DNS lookups seems to have resolved the 'page-load-stall' issue for me - opening url's is fast & pretty immediate (presumably because the initial DNS lookup is encrypted and Three can't screw it up).

Now, it's possible that the page-load-stall issue had already been sorted by Three and I'm just seeing the results of that, but I don't think that's the case. I think dnscrypt has certainly helped with my issue & as generally encrypting DNS queries is a good thing, I will continue to use it.

You can run dnscrypt-proxy on a Raspberry Pi Zero W which you can buy for under £5 (although you will probably have to buy a few connector cables if you don't already have them + shipping). And setting up Pi-hole to block ad's and dodgy internet lookups on your ENTIRE network, is a real worthwhile exercise anyway.

Buying a Raspberry Pi Zero W & installing Raspbian OS on it, is quite easy. Setting up Pi-hole on it, isn't rocket-science. Installing dnscrypt service is a bit more tricky, but perfectly manageable if you follow the instructions.

Anyway, it certainly seems to have helped with my issues with the B535 on Threes network.

It's important to say, dnscrypt is NOT a VPN. It is not encrypting all your data, it's only providing a secure & fast DNS resolution service which seems to have helped with my issue with Three's network.

Also, using Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi to block ad's & other nasty/dodgy internet sources for your entire LAN, is a well worthwhile exercise in its own right.

This might be why I've never really experienced the stalling then - I've used PiHole for years and then setup dnscrypt about a year before I switched to using Three.

Excellent deduction and investigation if it turns out that it does indeed resolve it for you once and for all!

It's important to say, dnscrypt is NOT a VPN. It is not encrypting all your data, it's only providing a secure & fast DNS resolution service which seems to have helped with my issue with Three's network.

I was under the impression that Cloudflare's WARP was end to end encrypted. Certainly on my mobile it provides an alternative external IP address and behaves exactly like its using an a-typical VPN.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules