Sponsored Links

Huawei B535 tether to mobile phone data

motorhomer

I all,

I would like some advice please. I have cancelled my fibre broadband as we don't use it enough to warrant the cost but would like internet access.
I currently have a mobile contract with unlimited data and no restrictions to tethering. Its a huawei p30 so can tether by USB or wifi

I was wondering If I get the Huawei B535 will this device allow a mobile phone to tether to this as a mobile connection and so I can then Ethernet connect this to my netgear router

If not then I will have to insert a SIM card into it

Second question when connected to mobile network can I connect this device to my netgear R7000 or should i just sell this off as this device already has all the connections required

The B535 is an LTE router, if you use it the way it was meant you could then connect various devices to it via WIFI and ethernet, phones, PCs etc.

It's got decent WIFI and does DHCP by default, there's no need to use another router. If you insist to use another router, then you could set it in bridge mode, so that it only acts as a modem only.

If you are going to buy a new B535, then I suggest to pay a bit more and get the B818 which is prolly the best consumer LTE router at the moment.
Regardless which router you get, you do need to put a SIM in it.

The B535 is an LTE router, if you use it the way it was meant you could then connect various devices to it via WIFI and ethernet, phones, PCs etc.

It's got decent WIFI and does DHCP by default, there's no need to use another router. If you insist to use another router, then you could set it in bridge mode, so that it only acts as a modem only.

If you are going to buy a new B535, then I suggest to pay a bit more and get the B818 which is prolly the best consumer LTE router at the moment.
Regardless which router you get, you do need to put a SIM in it.
Thanks for this info.

Sponsored Links
I all,

I would like some advice please. I have cancelled my fibre broadband as we don't use it enough to warrant the cost but would like internet access.
I currently have a mobile contract with unlimited data and no restrictions to tethering. Its a huawei p30 so can tether by USB or wifi

I was wondering If I get the Huawei B535 will this device allow a mobile phone to tether to this as a mobile connection and so I can then Ethernet connect this to my netgear router

If not then I will have to insert a SIM card into it

Second question when connected to mobile network can I connect this device to my netgear R7000 or should i just sell this off as this device already has all the connections required

The router will do the same thing as your mobile does when you tether, that's why you need a sim in the router.

So when you use tethering on your mobile it essentially does this, giving your devices access to your phones mobile data by assigning them IP addresses over DHCP (the same as the router.)

So you either tether with a phone, or use a 4g router.

Motorhomer, I read your post a little different and what you wanted to do was utilise your Phone SIM and reduce your overall current cost. My assumption is:
1) That you do not require 24/7 broadband at home
2) You have acceptable indoors 4G reception
3) As you were considering phone tethering your broadband needs are moderate (higher speeds are desirable but not essential)
4) That you will be sharing the connection but otherwise your broadband is more personal in nature (TV or Streamed Music or PC etc) not concurrent demands of more than 2/3 devices.
5) You already have a Netgear R7000

Buying a cheap 4G Router now or investing more in a device like the CAT 19 capable 818 (which may have a longer life) will depend on how much you want a "fixed" broadband at home and the level of investment you want to make. You have already concluded that you cannot justify your monthly ISP charges, a 4G or even 5G router will require a SIM package and even data shared SIMS are starting at £10 per month. We appear to have been through a relatively competitive period with very good unlimited SIM deals but now even Three's pricing is increasing again. Costs can be reduced by managing usage within a limited plan or PAYG but it is still an additional cost. The UK mobile service remains a moving target.

There are a number of routers that can except a USB feed but you have to be very careful regarding compatibility, the complexities involved and practical considerations such as the powering of the phone while connected for data. It can work out quite costly for good kit.

One option you could consider is the humble TL-WR902AC AC750 Wireless Travel WIFI Router (currently about £35 new). Connect to your phone hotspot using 5Ghz to give a reasonable connection speed to other devices. Ignore any references to the 3G/4G USB socket, just use this socket to power your phone with a charging lead whilst in use.

In Client mode the TL-WR902AC would basically connect to your phone hotspot and provide an Ethernet out which you could then feed a LAN port on the R7000 which you would set to AP mode and IP to “Get dynamically from existing router”. The downside is the Ethernet feed would be only 100Mb. Obviously the R7000 would be compromised but if it only being used for range, connectivity and would be no worse than DSL.
In Extender Mode the TL-WR902AC would connect to your phone hotspot and also provide a WIFI Access Point for other devices. The Ethernet can be used for a fixed connection to a TV box or PC. The range from this little device is restricted possibly to an adjoining room but may provide what you need. If may be you don't need the R7000.

The advantage of using the phone WIFI hotspot in this way is that you can pick up the phone for use and as long as you do not go out of range of the router the connected devices will not be disconnected.
Another benefit is that the device is USB powered so it could be easily moved to your motorhome while you are away and if you stay where there is free WIFI you can connect the TL-WR902AC in the same way (Extender).

Yes a limited but possibly a cheaper option. Remember you will be restricted in the number of devices that can be supported simultaneously. If your demands are higher then go for a 4G/5G router.
As always you need to check the exact specifications of all hardware as models/firmware can change.

Cheers Meetball lot to consider there but you are correct about my question. I understand how tethering works and as you say trying to cut costs. I currently pay out for unlimited mobile phone and have an unlimited mobile dongle. Also payout for two kids phones and my wife's so trying to cut out the land line
I know I can insert the sim from the dongle and this maybe best way forward. But on occasions I need this to go with me so annoying keep putting it in/out of home router which was why I was wondering if the mobile phone could tether to the router and provide network around the house. Some what you have said makes sense. I am on three and do have good coverage. We mainly use internet to watch Netflix and web search which works all ok on the dongle.

The router I'm looking at also has external aerial so we can take this with us in a motohome and have external aerial

Sounds to me that your dongle is the best bet. Get a router with a USB port that supports a 4G dongle, many do. I don't know your circumstances of course but I would assume you need to take your phone with you at least as often as you need to take the dongle.

Or how about sticking one of the unlimited SIMs into your home router, and get a Smart 30gig SIM for the dongle (or phone) for £10/month.

Sponsored Links
If proposing to use Dongle check compatibility or get combination verified.

If you are to base your broadband on mobile and there are four users a 4G/5G router with a SIM slot is probably best.

If your phone is unlimited surely an unlimited dongle is not required and its SIM can stay at home.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5511)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules