Sponsored Links

Huawei B818-263

Sad story with EE. I'll try to keep under 600 gb then...

Looks like I am going to have to find a new home for my B818-263, unless this new CPE Pro falls flat on its face due to the lack of Bridge mode.

I really detest using eBay. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, I must be cautious!

Looks like I am going to have to find a new home for my B818-263, unless this new CPE Pro falls flat on its face due to the lack of Bridge mode.

I really detest using eBay. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, I must be cautious!

Backup on another network :D

Actually I'm doing this. 5G CPE pro 2 on three... 818-263 on EE but the latter is my work one so I can only really use it for work purposes. It's a totally fallacy for me though as they're both on the same mast so if one fails, probably the other will too... but I might consider putting a different chip in there like Vodafone maybe..

Actually I think it might be nice if we had a buy and sell bit on here, not sure how @Mark.J feels about that though. I'm sure some of us have some interesting kit lying around.

I've bought a B818 as a GradeA condition from efones as moving to a house that only offers copper and slow speeds.
I've ran some tests and admittedly less than impressed with it running some quick tests at current house.
Just using my three sim card the results are below:
B818 to laptop - 15-20Mbps
three on phone (sony xperia 1 ii) - 53.6Mbps
three one phone 25-35Mbps
phone as hotspot to laptop - 40.7Mbps

Virgina Media to laptop 112.52Mbps

As far as I could tell APN autoselected to 3internet when in the b818, truthfully I was expecting close to phone speeds. I was expecting similar speeds to my sim card in my phone going by other results of poeple even having increased speeds.

Any thoughts?

Just realised the 53.6Mbps three on phone speed was wifi. I also appreciate the "30seconds" it takes to swap the sim around is all the difference it takes for speeds to change, but enjoying just moving phone or router around the room is enough to notice speed differences.

Last edited:

Not a fan of Ebay myself, recently had a prime case of retail arbitrage. It seems a lot of folks are building up a good rep then signing up for FBA using amazon (shipping with their prime accounts) any old stuff and make a profit immediately.

I've bought a B818 as a GradeA condition from efones as moving to a house that only offers copper and slow speeds.
I've ran some tests and admittedly less than impressed with it running some quick tests at current house.
Just using my three sim card the results are below:
B818 to laptop - 15-20Mbps
three on phone (sony xperia 1 ii) - 53.6Mbps
three one phone 25-35Mbps
phone as hotspot to laptop - 40.7Mbps

Virgina Media to laptop 112.52Mbps

As far as I could tell APN autoselected to 3internet when in the b818, truthfully I was expecting close to phone speeds. I was expecting similar speeds to my sim card in my phone going by other results of poeple even having increased speeds.

Any thoughts?

Just realised the 53.6Mbps three on phone speed was wifi. I also appreciate the "30seconds" it takes to swap the sim around is all the difference it takes for speeds to change, but enjoying just moving phone or router around the room is enough to notice speed differences.

tried locking the bands on your 818? You can download the huactl app to do it. (There are other apps/software, this one is just my go to one) also were you in the same place in the house when you tested phone vs the 818 ?

Might be worth doing some traffic analysis, see where the big chunks of traffic go to. Perhaps videos could be streamed in 720p instead of 1080 or 4k etc.

Might be worth doing some traffic analysis, see where the big chunks of traffic go to. Perhaps videos could be streamed in 720p instead of 1080 or 4k etc.
Yep I know that's where most of mine goes with having a 4K TV and 4 of us constantly using the internet

Via email smarty have just confirmed that unlimited is capped at1000gb.
How on earth can they say unlimited when it's not errrrr

Three doesn't seem to have an email, i want info written down so if they change contract i can refer to it.

I have 9 days left with EE (monthly reset yesterday) and i think they have slowed it down again, was working brilliantly yesterday and finally got to see how the B818 can work.

This tech stuff is so stressful

I admit was wrong about smarty their FUP slipped my mind. I 100% promise you that three is completely unlimited. Their number if you wanna call them to confirm too is 0333 338 1001

EDIT: they literally have a whole website about it three.co.uk/unlimited-data

I admit was wrong about smarty their FUP slipped my mind. I 100% promise you that three is completely unlimited. Their number if you wanna call them to confirm too is 0333 338 1001

EDIT: they literally have a whole website about it three.co.uk/unlimited-data
thank you i will ring them. EE & smarty have all the same stuff on their site about it being unlimited, but i could only find info about unlimited on EE T&C. I have really lost more trust. I will call them after i have tested out trial sim, whenever that arrives. Thanks again. This site has been very helpful.

tried locking the bands on your 818? You can download the huactl app to do it. (There are other apps/software, this one is just my go to one) also were you in the same place in the house when you tested phone vs the 818 ?
Sorry just seen this.
Within the same place as far as reasonably possible, devices either side of laptop.
I think it's just rubbish Three in Edinburgh issues. Today, on my phone it's still only 25Mbps, and speedtest is showing it's 3G. Even on LTE in the city centre on friday evening was 29Mbps down.

Which is all rather disappointing if I'm honest, even being in one of the small 5G areas around Edinburgh I only got 62Mbps down when I noticed and tested.

I purchased a refurbished B818-263 from Amazon. Its web UI is Optus branded.

The short story is that, no matter what I try, it seems that certain services or protocols (identified perhaps by specific IP ranges or ports) just cannot be made to work through my particular unit. Regular HTTP/HTTPS web browsing works, as does text-based messaging in applications such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and so on. However, applications that will not work are as follows (these are all being run on desktop or laptop PCs connected via WiFi to the B818):
  • WhatsApp voice or video calls: Ingoing or outgoing calls just hang on 'connecting'.
  • Skype (same problem as above; perpetually 'connecting')
  • Facebook messenger voice and video
  • My work laptop's VPN software, ZScaler (refuses to connect).
  • Tor browser (will not connect to relay server)
  • My wife's laptop's VMWare
Additionally:
  • Amazon Echo Dot won't connect
All of the above applications/services do operate absolutely fine when the host laptop/desktop is instead tethered to my Huawei P20 Pro with Hotspot enabled.

I am using EE SIMs (I have three EE SIMs in total). I have contacted EE by phone (and also checked in the EE portal myself) to confirm that all SIMs have content restrictions lifted. I've swapped SIMs between the B818-263 and my P20 Pro phone. The problem persistently remains with the B818-263 no matter which SIM is used.

I've tried the following configuration changes in the B818 (not methodical problem-solving as such, but rather just trying everything out of desperation):
  • Disabled all firewall settings
  • Manually specified primary and secondary DNS (with the fields made visible initially using the JQuery console 'hack')
  • Tried both NAT types
  • Checked the B818 is using the EE "everywhere" APN (seems to be the one and only correct APN to use for EE)
  • Disabled SIP ALG and UPnP
I've used LTE H-Monitor to confirm that the B818 is using the same cell and band (band 3) as my P20-Pro (though my knowledge here is limited). My P20 Pro indicates LTE+.

Some selected (hopefully pertinent) device information for my B818-263:

Serial number: VNNDW20409000xxx Hardware version: WL3B818M Software version: 10.0.2.2(H190SP5C74) Web UI version: WEBUI 10.0.2.2(W2SP6C74) Configuration file version: B818-263-CUST 8.0.1.4(C74) WAN IP Address: Unknown WAN IPv6 Address: 2a01:4c8:43:1323:5a02:3ff:fe04:506 PCI: 349 CELL_ID: 4268800 RSRQ: -7.0dB RSRP: -106dBm RSSI: -77dBm SINR: 4dB Upload bandwidth: 20MHz Download bandwidth: 20MHz band: 3 CA Mode: deactivated Wireless transmit power: PPusch:22dBm PPucch:9dBm PSrs:23dBm PPrach:23dBm Uplink mod/demod of MCS mcsUpCarrier1:29 Downlink mod/demod of MCS mcsDownCarrier1Code0:2 mcsDownCarrier1Code1:15 PLMN 23430

I've given up hope. At a total loss. I can only assume here that there is something funny going on here with Optus-branded firmware, though I find it strange that I cannot find reports of other people with the same problems. Going to attempt to return it to Amazon. Any other avenues of investigation I can try before I do so would be appreciated.

Trev

Without being hands on, it feels to me it's due to your device only being assigned an IPv6 address and no IPv4. Try changing/setting/creating a new APN to only IPv4.

Have you tried with an IPv4 only network (PAYG for testing!!!). Maybe Vodafone or O2? They are the ones that deffo don't have IPv6. Three assigning people IPv6 addresses once in a while and EE has them fully implemented.

Thanks gents. This is most interesting. The APN settings in the B818 sadly don't provide an IPv4/IPv6 section. Except... guess what? There *is* such a field - but it needs to be unhidden using the browser developer tools. I'll fiddle with this and report back.

Thanks gents. This is most interesting. The APN settings in the B818 sadly don't provide an IPv4/IPv6 section. Except... guess what? There *is* such a field - but it needs to be unhidden using the browser developer tools. I'll fiddle with this and report back.
Just a question, what is your MTU set at? Set it to 1400 if anything else.

Guys, this is just amazing.

Thanks to your suggestion about the IPv4 APN issue, and after a bit of F12 hacking to reveal a hidden IPv4/IPv6 field in the B818's APN settings so that I could select IPv4 (rather than the hidden default of IPv4 and IPv6), all of the applications I mentioned in my first post (at least my work laptop VPN, Tor browser, Skype video, Facebook messenger video that we've tried so far) now work.

Note: I was not able to modify and submit the existing "hard-coded" EE APN profile. I had to create my own new APN profile (using the "+" button), this time calling it everywhere_hacked or something, and using the existing EE APN settings but also setting the hidden field to IPv4.

Also, something else quite curious happened. After I submitted those new settings, the router alerted me to there being a new firmware version available, 10.0.5.2(H190SP1C74). Previously, the firmware page always indicated an error checking for firmware updates. It actually seems that the router's own firmware update code relies on IPv4 perhaps, and fixing (hacking!) the APN to IPv4 only brought that to life.

I cannot say thanks enough. I'm just amazed.

Oh, for info, when creating the new APN profile, you can make the IP type field visible in the console using:

$("#ip_type").show()

So, should I also allow it to do the firmware update? Or keep it on the existing 10.0.2.2? I'd have a very sad face on if it all broke again.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules