Sponsored Links

Huawei B818-263

Guys, this is just amazing.

Thanks to your suggestion about the IPv4 APN issue, and after a bit of F12 hacking to reveal a hidden IPv4/IPv6 field in the B818's APN settings so that I could select IPv4 (rather than the hidden default of IPv4 and IPv6), all of the applications I mentioned in my first post (at least my work laptop VPN, Tor browser, Skype video, Facebook messenger video that we've tried so far) now work.

Note: I was not able to modify and submit the existing "hard-coded" EE APN profile. I had to create my own new APN profile (using the "+" button), this time calling it everywhere_hacked or something, and using the existing EE APN settings but also setting the hidden field to IPv4.

Also, something else quite curious happened. After I submitted those new settings, the router alerted me to there being a new firmware version available, 10.0.5.2(H190SP1C74). Previously, the firmware page always indicated an error checking for firmware updates. It actually seems that the router's own firmware update code relies on IPv4 perhaps, and fixing (hacking!) the APN to IPv4 only brought that to life.

I cannot say thanks enough. I'm just amazed.

Oh, for info, when creating the new APN profile, you can make the IP type field visible in the console using:

$("#ip_type").show()

So, should I also allow it to do the firmware update? Or keep it on the existing 10.0.2.2? I'd have a very sad face on if it all broke again.
AFAIK it would keep the settings as you have configured the APN and it saves the settings no matter what you do. Don't trust me tho I'm not accountable for you having to do it again ;-) (I have no faith in myself lol). At least you do know what to do now if it does go south.

Note: I was not able to modify and submit the existing "hard-coded" EE APN profile. I had to create my own new APN profile (using the "+" button), this time calling it everywhere_hacked or something, and using the existing EE APN settings but also setting the hidden field to IPv4.
AFAIK you can't modify the 'default' APN in Huawei routers, you have to do as you did and create a new one and switch to it and/or use as default.

AFAIK you can't modify the 'default' APN in Huawei routers, you have to do as you did and create a new one and switch to it and/or use as default.
Indeedy Gavin, even the latest Huawei CPE Pro 2 carries on this same APN milarky you describe. :giggle:

I kind of like it, it makes it somewhere fool proof in that you (should) have a working APN to switch back to if your new one doesn't work for some reason.
It is handy, because it switches automatically to the one you want, as in my case from 3internet to goto.virginmobile.uk when i'm bored and want to experiment. :rolleyes:

Slightly angoying though when there's about 10 default APNs. (looking at u Lebara and Vodafone)

Interesting, I might chuck a EE sim in my B535 just so I can get a new firmware! I'm still using 10.0.1.1(H191SP63C983)
I'm on 10.0.1.1 as well with lebara, haven't tried updating yet tho, will report back if I can update with vodafone :)

Guys, this is just amazing.

Thanks to your suggestion about the IPv4 APN issue, and after a bit of F12 hacking to reveal a hidden IPv4/IPv6 field in the B818's APN settings so that I could select IPv4 (rather than the hidden default of IPv4 and IPv6), all of the applications I mentioned in my first post (at least my work laptop VPN, Tor browser, Skype video, Facebook messenger video that we've tried so far) now work.

Also, something else quite curious happened. After I submitted those new settings, the router alerted me to there being a new firmware version available, 10.0.5.2(H190SP1C74). Previously, the firmware page always indicated an error checking for firmware updates. It actually seems that the router's own firmware update code relies on IPv4 perhaps, and fixing (hacking!) the APN to IPv4 only brought that to life.

I cannot say thanks enough. I'm just amazed.

Oh, for info, when creating the new APN profile, you can make the IP type field visible in the console using:

$("#ip_type").show()

So, should I also allow it to do the firmware update? Or keep it on the existing 10.0.2.2? I'd have a very sad face on if it all broke again.
I'd be slightly wary of updating the firmware unless you're having significant problems with the current firmware (and know what's in/out of the new firmware). In the past, for example, the bridge mode capability has disappeared from some older Huawei 4G routers as a result of upgrading firmware. As there's no way of downgrading the firmware it's a bit of a gamble!

I'd be slightly wary of updating the firmware unless you're having significant problems with the current firmware (and know what's in/out of the new firmware). In the past, for example, the bridge mode capability has disappeared from some older Huawei 4G routers as a result of upgrading firmware. As there's no way of downgrading the firmware it's a bit of a gamble!
Seems a bit stupid theres no way of downgrading it.... Meh i never had bridge mode anyways so imma do it anyways :p.

The whole firmware debacle with Huawei is a bit of a mess IMHO. Sending improvements annually should be expected with all networking gear, the fact they rely on the carriers to provide updates just goes to show how little aftercare support they operate.

Like LG's doing the same, it puts me off buying anything else from them.

Thanks gents. This is most interesting. The APN settings in the B818 sadly don't provide an IPv4/IPv6 section. Except... guess what? There *is* such a field - but it needs to be unhidden using the browser developer tools. I'll fiddle with this and report back.
I don't suppose you could post a step by step on how to do this?

I've had a B818 for a few months. I have it linked up to a Unifi USG (gateway router) and using a 3 sim it all works fine. If I put an EE sim in (much, much faster) I get no connection to the internet.

It may be a red herring, but am partly convinced the cause of this is the EE sim only getting an IPv6 address. The tech support guys at EE gave me APN details that should use an IPv4 address enabled, but it still didn't work.

I'm thinking if I could use the hidden setting you found, I may be able to force the use of IPv4?

I don't suppose you could post a step by step on how to do this?

I've had a B818 for a few months. I have it linked up to a Unifi USG (gateway router) and using a 3 sim it all works fine. If I put an EE sim in (much, much faster) I get no connection to the internet.

It may be a red herring, but am partly convinced the cause of this is the EE sim only getting an IPv6 address. The tech support guys at EE gave me APN details that should use an IPv4 address enabled, but it still didn't work.

I'm thinking if I could use the hidden setting you found, I may be able to force the use of IPv4?
IGNORE!

TrevorPage - not to put too fine a point on it, I could kiss you! Or at the very least buy you a lot of beers :)

Noticed your command and figured out how to use it in console.

Created a 'test' APN that only uses IPv4...and it looks like my B818 with EE sim is now playing nicely with my Unifi USG!!!

Bit more testing to do. And a bit of tidy up needed. But I think you have solved a problem that was stumping everyone - THANK YOU!

Hey, that's brilliant! I'm actually really chuffed this has helped someone else out already. Perhaps I should do a separate 'how-to' / FAQ post.

Random thought: I wonder what other potentially useful hidden fields there are. :unsure:

Hey, that's brilliant! I'm actually really chuffed this has helped someone else out already. Perhaps I should do a separate 'how-to' / FAQ post.

Random thought: I wonder what other potentially useful hidden fields there are. :unsure:
I was wondering the same thing on the hidden commands.

Though tbh I'm likely to leave it well alone for a little while :)

There are fields to specify your own DNS servers instead of the default ones

If anyone can find the fields where it looks for updated firmware, it'd be a very helpful. I presume we could manually download them and flash them then.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules