Sponsored Links

Huawei CPE Pro from Three

sja0001

Pro Member
Hi, random question but I have received this router from Three and it's locked to them. To be fair Three have been helpful but after a number of calls, including 1 to Huawei, the router is still locked to Three. Not a problem per se but I wanted to change the APN to test something and also use an EE Sim occasionally as a comparison. Three have provided the unlock code but the router says "your device is permanently locked, refer to your network provider for assistance". Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm waiting on an 8th call back from Three soon! Thanks

Hi, random question but I have received this router from Three and it's locked to them. To be fair Three have been helpful but after a number of calls, including 1 to Huawei, the router is still locked to Three. Not a problem per se but I wanted to change the APN to test something and also use an EE Sim occasionally as a comparison. Three have provided the unlock code but the router says "your device is permanently locked, refer to your network provider for assistance". Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm waiting on an 8th call back from Three soon! Thanks
Which Huawei have you got from Three network if its Huawei Cpe pro then you wont able to unlock it as all attempts have been exhausted it will stay greyed out permanently even if you get the unlock code from Three as I have tried and other memebers on the forum know this.

If its the Huawei cpe pro 2 from Three which they have started to ship you are able to unlock it at as all attempts haven't been exhausted.

Eventually when they run out of cpe pro 2 stock I wonder what Three network will offer as Huawei are no longer manufacturing them anymore every where you look if you wanted to buy cpe pro 2 outright you will find that in most places its out of stock.

Thanks, it is the original CPE Pro. I'll see if Three are able to replace it but it's a little worrying if it's no longer being made!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, it is the original CPE Pro. I'll see if Three are able to replace it but it's a little worrying if it's no longer being made!
When did you receive it? They’ve started handing out Pro 2s now (JP got one) and they are unlockable. If you do get a new one from three is there any chance I can have your old one? Just a question as I want to try 5G but haven’t the device for it☺️

When did you receive it? They’ve started handing out Pro 2s now (JP got one) and they are unlockable. If you do get a new one from three is there any chance I can have your old one? Just a question as I want to try 5G but haven’t the device for it☺️
Sorry, the device is Three's and not mine. Good luck getting hold of one though.

Sorry, the device is Three's and not mine. Good luck getting hold of one though.
Yeah, I didn't have a good experience with one last time but I'm looking at getting one once I'm out of contract with BT now they are giving CPE Pro 2s. I forgot about the ownership thing as well, I was allowed to keep my B535.

Sponsored Links
Well attempt two with the unlock form failed also, so guess I need to contact customer service now.
Have fun, sending mine back was a pain and they nearly called the debt collectors on me 👍🏻

I'm not sending it back lol, it's working a treat to be fair.

11998388420.png

Should work much better when I'm actually in a 5G area properly, at the moment I'm only hanging on to some 5G from afar.

But I'll certainly want the flexibility to switch providers should the time come or need.
I just thought as I had seen some people asking for new unlocked ones, if it works fine that's amazing. I can see as you said wanting to change providers.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that when three say they are going to send unlocked ones out they mean the same one I have already....

Three think all there devices are unlocked by default but we know different in these cases.

So I don't think swapping is going to fix the issue, Three need to find the codes to send out
I'm having nightmares atm trying to unlock two USB HSDPA modems from them. An E160G and an E169G. Both Huawei. Not too fussed about the E160 as it barely woks anyway with the connector being extremely loose. They keep rejecting my unlock requests.

I might give them a call tomorrow if I get the time, but I had a chat with Huawei who told me to email their UK mobile support, who then told me the operator had to deal with it.
I only have the E169G now, I decided to open up the E160 and there was a nice large amount of brown goo that spat out when I opened it; safe to say it's in the bin now and not coming out again :)

Sponsored Links
Hmm, just opened welcome letter from Three, they still only loan the equipment, so I'm likely going to return it now.
Yeah, I've had quite a few of them letters from all the contracts I've opened and closed with them just to get the equipment lol

Well called this morning to cancel but I'm a day behind the 14 day return period, so I've now submitted a complaint to either cancel the service or issue me and unlock code and add the exception for me to keep the device beyond the contract.

Both these things seem acceptable seems as there website fails to mention any hiring agreements and states all devices are sold unlocked.
I agree there is no mention of any device loan on their website or in the checkout process, and that would be good to be improved.

However it is very clearly stated in the Ts&Cs regarding 5G Equipment.

"Home Broadband Terms & Conditions – for customers who joined or upgraded on or after 29 October 2020"

fPh3

And also mentioned in the Home Broadband Price Guide (effective 16th July 2021)
1631097388649.png

could i pls ask, how do you know the cpe pro 2 router is locked?

i have an ebay offer of under 300 and i wanna make sure it's unlocked before i go and get it

thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information, why couldn't they link to this when ordering.
They sort of do... during checkout you get this to tick
1631098277954.png

Clicking the Ts&Cs link takes you here:

And on that the 'here' word in the 2nd line (the bold one) is a hyperlink to the full set of Ts&Cs - though it's not obviously hyperlinked with a colour or underline.

I think we all know a lot of things we buy/use comes with some set of Ts&Cs attached, its far too easy to just tick the box without reading the details.

could i pls ask, how do you know the cpe pro 2 router is locked?

i have an ebay offer of under 300 and i wanna make sure it's unlocked before i go and get it

thanks
Hi johnro,

Strangely I can't see any reference anywhere in the CPE Pro 2's web ui, so you might not know until you try a non three sim in it.

Both the Huawei apps tell you the lock status though, Hi Link and Ai Life.

Here's my status from both apps.

Ai Life
Screenshot_20210908-121046_AI Life.jpg

HI Link
Screenshot_20210908-140028_HUAWEI HiLink.jpg

Perhaps he could send you a screen grab of that for peace of mind.

I'm sure JitteryPinger will let you know if his web ui lets you know that the device is locked.

Maybe just doesn't show on mine because it's unlocked, not sure.

Last edited:
UPDATE: the unlock status relates to the sim having a pin lock enabled, just tested this on my device and when rebooted and requiring PIN to be entred the 'Unlocked' status dissapears.
Ah right, so it's not actually the device lock status it's referring to then JP.

I just wrongly assumed that's what it meant. :rolleyes:

I know mine is definately unlocked as I've had all the 4 main network sims and loads of various piggybackers in it as well without any problems.

As you probably know it's not a three supplied one, I purchased it from Amazon many moons ago for the bargain basement price of £399. :oops:

The CPE Pro 2 devices are sold locked and can only be unlocked when a sim from another network is inserted, I posted screenshots of this previously in another thread.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules