Sponsored Links

Huawei H112-370 5G reception keeps cutting out

4l3x

Hello,
I hope you might be able to help me; my router is picking up 5G from an external antena, the Poynting's XPOL-2-5G. the whole set up is fixed and I can get a decent 5G reception with a download speed up to 100mbps. But, and especially recently, the 5G reception would completly drops off (dead 5G light at the front of the router); I can usually get the reception back by either unplugging and replugging the external antena cables at the back of the router or by doing a reset of the router. but the reception would eventually drops again.
Is there anything i could do to have a stronger and especially more stable 5G reception?

Cheers!

Could it be interference causing the drop outs? Whats your range from the mast? (they only have a 5g range of 1000 yards.)

Could it be interference causing the drop outs? Whats your range from the mast? (they only have a 5g range of 1000 yards.)
Hi Thanks for your reply. So I need to be no further than 1000 yard away from the 5G mast? I will need to check exactely where the mast is, the Three people only gave me the direction towards it.

Sponsored Links
Its a bit hit and miss but 1000 yards may be a bit over optimistic for 5g, in reality it may be just 1000ft (or around 500 meters) from a 5g mast to get a connection!

Cellmapper - Thatll help you find the mast :)

I have experienced the same issue with both variants of the CPE Pro (H112-370 from vodafone, and H112-372 from amazon).

It would get a really good 5G connection, around 200mbit, work beautifully for up to 24 hours, then just fall back to 4G.

I tried leaving it for as long as 2 days, it never gets 5G back on it's own.

If using an external antenna, very ocasionally unplugging and replugging it would get 5G back, but not reliably.

If not using external antenna, a power reset might do it, but often that wouldn't even work.

However a factory reset using the pinhole switch underneith the device would always get 5G back, every time. I had to do this at least once a day for almost a month.

Exactly the same behavior on Vodafone and Three.

After trying every combination of settings, antenna positioning etc, I wanted to know for sure if it was a signal strength issue. So I put it in my car, ran it off a big battery and parked the car less than 100 meters from the mast, direct line of sight (only the glass window).
Speeds were incredible.
Came back the next morning, 5G gone, factory reset it and it came right back.

I cut my losses, now aggregating 4G and ADSL, far more reliable!

I'm in Hackney, London, if by chance you are dealing with the same masts.

I have exactly the same issue With the CPE pro. i can reset the router and 5g appears with 2/3 bars. Speeds are excellent - greater than 200mb for perhaps 24 hours. Then it’s dropped back to 4g+ or 4g. I’m on three in the Milton Keynes area where 5g has just been switched on (well, SE MK anyway).

A reset of the router and 5g appears. A reboot may make 5g appear but not on so many occasions as a full reset. Weird.

it’s so frustrating. I have a 5g Poynting aerial, though to be honest it doesn’t appear to make much (if any) difference.

I’ll see what it’s like when the full 5g appears all over MK. Other than waiting to try another 5g router when they appear on the markets, there’s not a lot left to try I believe.

Sponsored Links
It's reasuring to hear others are having the same issue, before this thread there is no mention of it anywhere online.

I reached out to Huawei support, they diddn't reply.
I tried the Amazon seller, no reply.
I did get a reply from someone at router-switch.com but they didn't know anything about it.

I actually still have one of them (due to be returned to Amazon soon), so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be keen to try, would love that 200mbit connection back!

Bought the 372 instead
Also seeing drops on the 5G - My router also idles when not in use before it reauths with Three again when testing speeds.

Intermittently I find the 5G will randomly drop and it will go back to 4G But ill still get something like 70 Down 30 Up for example.

TBH I think my drops are more to do with the fact that unofficial - 5G Coverage shouldnt reach me based upon maps but it does.

Weirdly enough - Ive seen it before but maybe its still happening for you - Are Three Resetting your connection and kicking you off the mast for 5G because its not supposed to be available for anyone other than Three Broadband customer (Relish - Ex rather)?

Sponsored Links
I'm also in "unofficial" coverage, but I'm up on the top floor of a block and can actually see the mast. With outdoor directional antenna 200mbit full signal bars, without 80mbit.

I'm really doubting it's a signal strenth issue, you can so reliably get 5G back with a factory reset, add the test I mentioned above when I left it in my car by the mast overnight was also with Three.

It wouldn't only drop while idle, often while watching netflix, you know about it immediately because 4G on Three in my area is so oversubscribed that it's totally useless.

What do you mean by "not supposed to be available for anyone other than ex Relish"? It's sold as 5G broadband on Three's website, I actually got a business contract and was very specific that I'd be using it for 5G data only, had conversations about the FUP etc.

For Vodafone I'm just inside the official coverage, and the mast is in the same place as Three, but unfortunately one story below it so no line of sight.
Without antenna 60mbit, with antenna pointed at a tall building for reflection 120mbit.
I didn't do the car test before my 14 day cancellation was up with Voda.

I have a Voxi sim here actually that I'm just using for 4G, maybe it's worth me doing the car test again.

@4l3x @bogalla
Could you possibly do similar tests closer to your local masts to better rule out signal strength as the cause of the dropouts?

Thank you Buggerlugz, I’ll email Huawei too. Perhaps unconnected, but as well as suffering the reset procedure daily to help maintain 5g, we suffer on our Three network, having to constantly “reload“ pages on the internet before they will work. I think this is a known issue by Three looking at other posts but as yet, as far as I can see, there is no solution for it.

You can avoid that Three issue by sending all your traffic through a VPN. Although it's impractical to set that up on the H112-37x as you have to re configure it after factory resetting it every day!

I just ran it straight into another router which handled the VPN, wifi and all my other configurations, keep the daily factory reset hassle to a minimum.

Thank you for these feedback. It must be related to the way the router works do't you think?

Hello

i have the same aerial and the 372 version of the router, what size are the connectors? think i need an adapter, they are tiny!

Sponsored Links
@crispinb I used the Ubiquiti ER-X and an AP, it really doesn't matter, any old router will do.
But really, if you're having to do the daily factory reset dance with your 370, just get rid of it, it's not worth the stress! CPE Pro 2 will be available in 2 weeks, might be more stable.

@Balb0wa They are TS9 connectors

I think I am experiencing the same issue, although on a completely different device. I am also in an unofficially 5G covered area, and have used my Samsung S10 5G usb tethered to my computer. The 5G sign with full bars appear all of a sudden, and stays until I unplug the USB C cable or move the phone slightly, which makes the full signal 5G disappear. Funnily, the phone doesn't have a reset button obviously so it takes a long time to leave the phone on a position without interference until the 5G reappears. Again, the 5G doesn't always come back, and I am not in their official 5G area in accordance to the map. On most days, I get 5G at least once during the day whilst usb tethered, and lasts until I sort of touch/move the phone slightly. What is really surprising is that the phone always shows full bars of 5G signal. I have tested on a Vodafone 5G contract, and their 5G is always fluctuating from 1 bar to zero bars, which seems correct as I have a limited coverage in my postcode according to Vodafone's coverage map. However, Three is doing something abnormal, a) I shouldn't have 5G according to their coverage map b) when 5G appears on the phone it's always full bars c) the phone HAS to be usb tethered for 5G to appear d) after losing the initial 5G signal, it seems to get harder to connect to it again for that day.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules