Sponsored Links

I may be wrong to ask this.................

I may be wrong to ask this, because I've posed a similar question higher up. But:-

Our BT box is dowstairs with a three way adapter in it, two phones in lounge and the third socket is for an extension cable upstairs for my computer and phone. Everything was fine when I was with e7even and a slower speed.

A few days ago, I got connected with talktalk. Initially the disc wouldn't work so installation was done manually. OK for 4/5 days, during which time phone calls were made whilst on line using ONE phone. A few nights ago, with the computer on, we took a phone call downstairs using two phones with the comp on. When the call was terminated, I discovered the comp off and couldn't get connected again that eve, Tue or most of Wed. When I did get on-line, it was with phones disconnected. TT told me the maybe the extension cable is not ADSL capable and replace it, or consider a wireless router.

Given the distance involved to get the cable upstairs and doors frames that need to be encountered, it is a bit of a pain. Id like someone to explain to me in ABC terms, what would be involved to use a wireless router. The argos book suggests these are ideal for people with comps some distance away from the BT box. Oh, I have windows'98 SE.

Don't tell me off for this double entry. I'm at my wits end after running up and downstairs trying various combinations of micro filtre/ 2/3 way adapter/ connection and reconnection of cables, my old ticker can't take much more.

wouldn't dream of telling you off Islandman :D will start to dig around for answers for you.

Wireless

Wireless sounds like to be the best option.

I would personally suggest placing the wireless router at the main BT socket removing all other extensions and invest in a new telephone of which being digital and having various points around your house.

You will only need a power supply available for these lines.

As your pc seems to be quite old you will need to purchase a wireless card for your laptop I believe that Argos sell these as well.

I hope that this has helped you in someway.

Sponsored Links
Just my opinion but sounds more like you have a dodgy filter or maybe have them configured wrong. I have 2 phones, 1 downstairs, 1 upstairs. The BT Master Socket is downstairs and i had a plug-in extension running upstairs. I recently hard wired that direct into the Master Socket extension points which increased my speed slightly. You shouldn't attempt that until you've got everything working.

First up, check your filters are like this:http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13 and post back after. Note that if you have an extension plugged in the Master Socket, the filter should be plugged into the extension plug/splitter and not the master socket.

Sorry for the delay. I appreciate the responses but read on.

Since I last posted, I've had intermitent connections. TT said I should either replace the extension cable used for the comp and phone upstairs, just in case the current cable is not ADSL capable. OR, I should consider a wireless router. But before I did either, I should disconnect everything and take the comp downstairs and plug directly into the phone box.

Today I did just that. Still no connection but I kept trying then hey presto I had lift off. In case it was a one-off, I disconnected and attempted again. I was able to surf merrily for an hour. A house door slammed and I lost connection. Vibration and dodgy connection ??? I attempted several times moving the micro filter slightly each time, eventually connecting.

I then remembered that when I was with my old provider, I had "stuck" the filter to the wall so that it didn't get knocked when vacuuming, so clearly there was no vibration issue. Throughout the day,. connection has been off and on. TT are to ring within 24 hrs to organise an engineer to see if it is the old BT box which has a loose wire etc. If that's all it is, then fine, but soddin frustrating all the same. I reluctant to try your advice whilst its working, we'll see tomorrow. Thanks anyway

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules