Sponsored

I need a solution to get out of Fast4

mp34life

Casual Member
when I got the letter from the debt collection agency I told them straight "see you in court" as no court in the land would side with Farce4

3 months later haven't heard anything since

tcib

when I got the letter from the debt collection agency I told them straight "see you in court" as no court in the land would side with Farce4

3 months later haven't heard anything since
Hi there... however can you still not be blacklisted for non payment?

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
actually thats a good point, might want to make sure they havent done what some businesses do and leave a red mark on your credit record..

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
If you intend to withhold payment of any fees a company claims you owe and have a legitimate reason for doing so, then you should write a formal letter of complaint to the company, clearly and concisely explaining your reasons for disputing the payment.

With an ISP you can ask for a deadlock letter to allow you to immediately take the dispute to their Ofcom approved arbitration service (farce4's is cisas) this is completely free - well I think if CISAS accept your complaint warrents investigation, their fee actually runs to several hundred pounds, but this is picked up entirely by the ISP and their descision is binding on the ISP, but not on you. If your ISP decides not to provide a deadlock letter then CISAS will probably require you to wait 3 months before they'll accept your complaint for investigation to give the ISP a fair chance to settle your complaint. http://www.cisas.org.uk/Guidance_Notes.asp

I'm no lawyer so you should check, but I believe while a payment is in dispute the company can't send in dept collectors or affect your credit rating. If you dispute is legitimate and you have evidence to back up your claims then hopefully CISAS should find in your favour.

Last edited:

tcib

wow they have informed me that there is a 60GB limit now when before they told me there were no suggestions of xxGB limitations!!!

hearing it from the horses mouth is rather shocking.

mp34life

Casual Member
If you intend to withhold payment of any fees a company claims you owe and have a legitimate reason for doing so, then you should write a formal letter of complaint to the company, clearly and concisely explaining your reasons for disputing the payment.

With an ISP you can ask for a deadlock letter to allow you to immediately take the dispute to their Ofcom approved arbitration service (farce4's is cisas) this is completely free - well I think if CISAS accept your complaint warrents investigation, their fee actually runs to several hundred pounds, but this is picked up entirely by the ISP and their descision is binding on the ISP, but not on you. If your ISP decides not to provide a deadlock letter then CISAS will probably require you to wait 3 months before they'll accept your complaint for investigation to give the ISP a fair chance to settle your complaint. http://www.cisas.org.uk/Guidance_Notes.asp

I'm no lawyer so you should check, but I believe while a payment is in dispute the company can't send in dept collectors or affect your credit rating. If you dispute is legitimate and you have evidence to back up your claims then hopefully CISAS should find in your favour.
I informed the company that I was in dispute with Farce4 and did also say I was willing to go to court, so from then on the ball was in there court, my credit rating cannot be touched as only court orders etc can put a mark on your credit rating

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
also family can as well... my uncle has been banned from having a bank account because he kept on spending (he didnt and still doesnt know the value of money, if its there he will spend it) in any case lve done nothing to mess mine up but lm refused credit anywhere even tho lm good for it, and it was commented on by the bank when l queried it that sometimes they take into account the history of other family members.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
also family can as well... my uncle has been banned from having a bank account because he kept on spending (he didnt and still doesnt know the value of money, if its there he will spend it) in any case lve done nothing to mess mine up but lm refused credit anywhere even tho lm good for it, and it was commented on by the bank when l queried it that sometimes they take into account the history of other family members.
That is illegal. The only way a member of your family can affect your rating is if you have a joint financial product with them - only then can a link be drawn between them and you.

Try getting a copy of your reports from Experian, Equifax and CallCredit - it costs about £2 or £3 each, and that will list all the entries on your file. I guarantee that none of them will relate to anyone in your family unless you have a joint financial product with them.

I had trouble getting a credit card a while back, and I found out it was because netiher me or my partner had much debt or had missed any payments, so there wasn't any money to be made from us. Not because I was financially irresponsible in the past.

tcib said:
Hiya, I don't know if that is entirely true. I believe that late payments can also effect your credit score. I could be entirely wrong though.
You're quite right. For example, with a credit card or loan, any missed or seriously lte payments are noted, and are visible to any company that reviews your file, and they will make a decision based on that file.

I don't know whether an ISP could enter a non-payment entry, but I can't think of any reason why not.

If that happens you can do 2 things - contest it to have the entry removed (will only happen if it was erroneous) or ask to have a note added to it (for example, if there were any extenuating circumstances that caused the problem).

tcib

My partner just asked me if it was okay to download anything right now (indicative of our current household situation - afraid to use the net without penalty). I went on Fast4 to check my bandwidth usage for the month. It is currently 4.39GB.

Is it possible that a) that has been achieved with just surfing as I don't think I have downloaded anything this month and b) that 2GB is used in 2 days with definitely NO downloads bar emails being sent and the odd youtube being watched?

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
2Gb does sound a lot - why don't you try installing your own meter software on your PC (I'm sure someone on here can recommend a program).

Even if, for example, Windows had updated itself and all your installed programs it shouldn't get to 2Gb.

Another thing I would try is to switch off your PC and router for a few hours, checking meter readings before and after. If they have gone up then obviously there is a problem.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
That is illegal. The only way a member of your family can affect your rating is if you have a joint financial product with them - only then can a link be drawn between them and you.

Try getting a copy of your reports from Experian, Equifax and CallCredit - it costs about £2 or £3 each, and that will list all the entries on your file. I guarantee that none of them will relate to anyone in your family unless you have a joint financial product with them.

I had trouble getting a credit card a while back, and I found out it was because netiher me or my partner had much debt or had missed any payments, so there wasn't any money to be made from us. Not because I was financially irresponsible in the past.
heh not if you consider the fact that his debts are running in to 10,000 he also has the tax guys after him now because he was working while on jobseekers he has missed 5 car payments, the stupid thing is he was allowed to get into this state that and borrow to such extremes. the sad thing is my granny has lost half her furniture to debt collectors because he was registered as living at her address.. all l can say is pretty much most of my family has been refused credit, and none of us have done anything to the extremes he has.

tcib

the sad thing is my granny has lost half her furniture to debt collectors because he was registered as living at her address.. all l can say is pretty much most of my family has been refused credit, and none of us have done anything to the extremes he has.
It is the unfortunate side effect that most credit scores take the whole of the address into account. Sorry to hear your story.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
indeed its annoying.

mp34life

Casual Member
Hiya, I don't know if that is entirely true. I believe that late payments can also effect your credit score. I could be entirely wrong though.
late payments can affect but only if there have been loads however it is negligable to cause serious dents things like CCJ's etc, and that was the point i'm getting at :)

tcib

So here is the latest:

I have just cancelled my a/c and had payment authorised for the canx charge and 28 days notice. I will now send them the required letter of payment under protest and ask for a deadlock letter etc.

If anyone is interested, I seem to be winging towards going with Falcon Net. I have been emailing them and they have been highly responsive. What I do like is that they have a forum on their website. After every posting the reply is efficient and proactive.

I have had it confirmed to me in email the following:

i) Contracts are only monthly and there are no exit fees. If you are unhappy then you simply request a MAC. These are usually supplied within 12 hours.

ii) Any change in terms and conditions would need to be communicated directly to you so we would likely email with a read receipt and chase up any unread emails.

Upon asking them this: for arguments sake, if one has a 300GB download allowance during off peak hours, could one use that entire 300GB in one night (don't even know if that is actually possible)? i.e. would I be penalised in downloading a lot during one off peak period?

their reply was:

iii) Absolutely no problem. It probably isn't possible to do it all in one night but your allowance is there to use as and when you wish. Connections are not throttled or blocked. However, you should be aware that Enta (the wholesale provider) implement an Anti-Loss tool that kicks in at the busiest times. The affect of this tool is that it slows the overall pipes down (to a worst case of 2mb) but it allows a reslient level of performance for all users including gamers, VOIP users etc. Enta are very open and show the status of the centrals on the NOC

I am going to have a thorough read of their Terms and Condition but based on these answers alone they are offering me more than Fast 4 ever do. And if they don't live up to their promise, I can simply leave them whenever I wish.

tcib

FYI I wrote a payment protest letter and sent it recorded 11 days ago. I asked to hear from them within 10 days. No such luck, so I guess I will write to them again.

Could anyone advise me what to do if they never respond to me please...

Curiously I just got a circular email advising customers of the successful move of all to their new supplier and that as of the 5th March there will be a 15GB cap. Of note they offer people the option of obtaining a MAC code. Would this be without penalty? Am curious to know.

Meanwhile my migration occurred smoothly last week and all seems to be great with Falcon net. Their customer service is exemplary.

tcib

The farce continues. I contacted Paul via here on Monday to advise that it has been ten days since I sent the letter of payment protest, he advised me to call Fast4.
I called them on Tuesday morning and spoke with John. He couldn't actually find my letter so he said he would have a look for it and then give me a call back shortly. He didn't. At about 2 I called and spoke to Paul who then transferred me to John. Apparently they have never received my letter. However, when I informed him that I sent it recorded and I have the receipt from Royal Mail to confirm it was delivered, he would look into it further and ring me back.
He didn't. I called yesterday. Spoke with John who apologised for not returning the call. He now thought that my letter was payment protest over wrongful charges. That therefore perhaps means he thought I was still a customer which would lead to why I received an email from them enquiring why I had cancelled my DD mandate with them and that if an alternative method of payment was not set up, they would pursue.
I corrected him. Apparently Nick was due to have a meeting with their old backbone supplier about refunding customers cancellation charges etc yesterday afternoon. Nick was apparently then due to give me a call back.
Guess what. No one has called me again.
Now there phone lines are persistently busy.

tcib

Finally got through to them. They've been too busy to return the call. Nice.

So the upshot is at this stage they do not wish to refund me, so I requested a deadlock letter.

Man, they're just adding more fuel to the fire. I have about 10 pages typed out to send on to CISAS based on their shoddy service.

So let us await this deadlock letter which John said would be sent out today. Somehow I reckon I will need to call them next week to chase it up.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2513)
  2. FTTP (2208)
  3. FTTC (1660)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1429)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1240)
  8. Statistics (1100)
  9. FTTH (1077)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1040)
  11. Fibre Optic (970)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (910)
  14. 4G (901)
  15. Virgin Media (859)
  16. Sky Broadband (596)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (581)
  19. Vodafone (520)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules