Sponsored Links

iDNET reporting major outage

It appears IDNET is suffering from a major problem. This appears to have begun at around 11:45am this morning and has resulted in complete loss of internet connectivity

When you call IDNET, they've got a message speaking of a major outage.

In the meantime, if you try and connect you get routed to the BT Wholesale service page:

1634124205322.png

This is where having a 4G back-up comes in really handy :)

IDNET Network status now updated to show:

Notifications​

Broadband - ADSL/FTTC/FTTP
Some customers may be experiencing intermittent loss of connectivity at present due to an issue with one of our suppliers networks, their engineers are currently investigating.

Rebooting your router may bring the connection back online.

Further updates will be posted as soon as we receive them

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Posted: 2021-10-13 12:00:54 Updated: 2021-10-13 12:00:54

IDNET has advised everyone to power down their routers down for five minutes and try reconnecting.

As I've found out, that's still not working.

Sponsored Links
Zen Internet has also been hit by a similar power issue, which seems related to BT / BT / Openreach's side. But there are a string of faults occurring today, so it's difficult to know which ones are causing the biggest bother.

I was offline for about 2 hours, very annoying, there was an initial fix reported then authentication issues for a bit. IDNet say:

***UPDATE**** Suppliers have confirmed a power outage within one of their data centres was the cause of the issue which has now been resolved.

If your connection is still down, please power off your router for 5 minutes and back on again before retesting.

***UPDATE 2**** Due to a secondary issue, some customers are still unable to authenticate which is under investigation by supplier engineers at present and further updates will follow.

***UPDATE 3**** Suppliers have now advised the authentication issues should now be resolved. If your connection has not come back online, please power off your router for 5 minutes and back on again, authentication servers on suppliers network are very busy so it is possible this could take more than one attempt to reconnect.

Well I'm pleased to say connectivity has now returned for me.

But there may well be some who have been away while this happened, and do need to power off their router to get things working again.

Sponsored Links
Think this was affecting everyone on IDNet that are using Zen backhaul, took me about an hour before PPP came back up correctly (rather than going to the BT diagnostic network) after they indicated it was fixed.

I also love the way IDNet have now removed all traces there was a problem from their service status page, so anyone coming home and getting complaints from their family or finding their internet still off line, can't see what it was.

Obviously IDNet doesn't think it looks good to show they've had a fault, or think their customers warrant an explanation.

Think this was affecting everyone on IDNet that are using Zen backhaul, took me about an hour before PPP came back up correctly (rather than going to the BT diagnostic network) after they indicated it was fixed.

I also love the way IDNet have now removed all traces there was a problem from their service status page, so anyone coming home and getting complaints from their family or finding their internet still off line, can't see what it was.

Obviously IDNet doesn't think it looks good to show they've had a fault, or think their customers warrant an explanation.

For posterity:

1634142623151.png

Zen Internet has also been hit by a similar power issue, which seems related to BT / BT / Openreach's side. But there are a string of faults occurring today, so it's difficult to know which ones are causing the biggest bother.

The issue IDNET had was Zen. They use Zen Wholesale (as do others). Zen's power loss at the HQ datacentre (another story entirely as to how that was a thing) caused some circuits to be broken. They're directly related.

Not everyone using idnet with Zen Wholesale backhaul circuits were affected.

Sponsored Links

That's a poor show. Their status page *does* show other previous events, so it'd be interesting to hear their side as to why they decided to rewrite history in this case.

That's a poor show. Their status page *does* show other previous events, so it'd be interesting to hear their side as to why they decided to rewrite history in this case.
Nope, it doesn't. It shows a feed of BT Wholesale fault reports (the right hand side) - it does not show a history of idnet faults.

And we have another outage, which started at just before 8am this morning and is ongoing.

From the IDNet status page:

Broadband - ADSL/FTTC/FTTP
We are currently investigating an issue affecting multiple customers causing loss of connectivity.

Further information will be provided as soon as we have it.

Posted: 2021-11-03 08:11:06 Updated: 2021-11-03 08:11:06

Yup, I'm one of the affected. I'm back online now however,

Connectivity returned for me as well.

I can see Zen reporting yet another power issue on its status page. Given that was the root cause of the issue last month, no surprise that IDNet's latest update says:

----

Suppliers have advised outages this morning have been caused by a power outage. Maintenance is ongoing to resolve this as soon as possible and further updates will be provided as soon as they have been received.

Most connections of affected customers have been restored. If your connection is still offline, please power off your router for between 5 and 10 minutes and then back on again. You may need to do this more than once as network servers will be extremely busy during this time.

----

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules