Sponsored

If I ask my ISP (Sky) to monitor my connection for me then can they?

JoeShearn

I have noticed some quite advanced and persistent attacks showing up on my firewall (not your normal background noise worm scanning.) I think that I know who this is (it's related to an ongoing court case.) I have been keeping my own sniffer logs but I don't think that they would be admissible in court since I could have made them up. I would like Sky to also keep sniffer logs as well. Is this standard practise? Can they do this for me?

Thanks,

Joe

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
ISPs do keep some basic connection logs and you may be able to gain them at a small admin fee but it's not a common request, front line support probably cannot help. You might have more luck emailing in your request but from a big ISP like Sky it could be difficult.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
An ISP couldn't function if it didn't, at least passively and as part of their internal network processes, know your IP address. Timed logs are also kept and data can be matched to user logins. The retained logs are however very basic.

AmberGreen

Casual Member
An ISP couldn't function if it didn't, at least passively and as part of their internal network processes, know your IP address. Timed logs are also kept and data can be matched to user logins. The retained logs are however very basic.
Sorry Mark... I was referring to the person 'attacking' the OP and not the ISP.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Ah well, in that case you make a very good point :) . The op's connection is from an ISP with a dynamic IP, so disconnecting and reconnecting the router would ordinarily solve it. If it still happens then it's either not what he/she thinks or the OP is using a service with public visibility of connection data (e.g. IRC, IM etc.). Easy to track.

truth4free

ULTIMATE Member
Remove that ^^^ idiot from the board Mark thats his 3rd post just by my count today responding to a thread just randomly cutting and pasting from a prior reply.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Yep it's a classic spammer tactic and I always check for it each day.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2531)
  2. FTTP (2253)
  3. FTTC (1675)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1430)
  7. Business (1258)
  8. Statistics (1110)
  9. FTTH (1105)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1056)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (602)
  17. Sky Broadband (600)
  18. TalkTalk (586)
  19. Vodafone (532)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules