Sponsored Links

If I ask my ISP (Sky) to monitor my connection for me then can they?

I have noticed some quite advanced and persistent attacks showing up on my firewall (not your normal background noise worm scanning.) I think that I know who this is (it's related to an ongoing court case.) I have been keeping my own sniffer logs but I don't think that they would be admissible in court since I could have made them up. I would like Sky to also keep sniffer logs as well. Is this standard practise? Can they do this for me?

Thanks,

Joe

No chance.

It may be technically possible but it won't be worth their while.

Last edited:
ISPs do keep some basic connection logs and you may be able to gain them at a small admin fee but it's not a common request, front line support probably cannot help. You might have more luck emailing in your request but from a big ISP like Sky it could be difficult.

Sponsored Links
An ISP couldn't function if it didn't, at least passively and as part of their internal network processes, know your IP address. Timed logs are also kept and data can be matched to user logins. The retained logs are however very basic.

An ISP couldn't function if it didn't, at least passively and as part of their internal network processes, know your IP address. Timed logs are also kept and data can be matched to user logins. The retained logs are however very basic.

Sorry Mark... I was referring to the person 'attacking' the OP and not the ISP.

Sponsored Links
Ah well, in that case you make a very good point :) . The op's connection is from an ISP with a dynamic IP, so disconnecting and reconnecting the router would ordinarily solve it. If it still happens then it's either not what he/she thinks or the OP is using a service with public visibility of connection data (e.g. IRC, IM etc.). Easy to track.

Remove that ^^^ idiot from the board Mark thats his 3rd post just by my count today responding to a thread just randomly cutting and pasting from a prior reply.

Yep it's a classic spammer tactic and I always check for it each day.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules