Sponsored Links

I'm about to join plusnet - Few Questions

nip

Okay so I previously made a thread http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33522-Advice-on-AnnexM?p=233457#post233457, but will rewrite everything I want to ask here:

Hello, I'm a semi-pro gamer, and streamer on twitch.tv and in my residence (Trees, PO20 3RU), I can not get FTTC, but I want to carry on streaming when I move back home.
I'm only 312m straigh line distance from the exchange, so AnnexM should be a good option for me I hope. AKA won't lose much DL for the extra UP.

Via email, Plusnet has told me that I can get AnnexM with the residential unlimited BB & Phone package, for no extra cost (Usually AnnexM can be added for £10). As they always try to run the best service on the line automatically, in my area that being AnnexM.
So I can get all this for £18 a month (12 month contract), which seems... too good to be true. And a you always get what you pay for... I feel really doubtful about all this.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the case, and there is no catch?

Also, would it be possible to get the AnnexM service without paying the £10, but order it as a Unlimited Business package? (Using the same reasoning that I received from Plusnet "We automatically give you the best line.")
What are the advantages to having the business line instead?

If it means that I get a completely different support department, the ones that actually know what they are talking about and won't google "AnnexM" when I ask them about it, and the line care/quality is better, and my speeds won't be capped or traffic managed/throttled, I will be happy to pay the extra price?

Lastly, I wanted to ask, if I join for example with the residential annexM package, is there some sort of a trial period, where for example if not happy with the service I have 1 week after activation to cancel my contract without paying a cancellation fee and paying the rest of the months etc. Also, if I get the residential contract package, can I then switch to the business one within the same contract?

Regards,
Niki

Last edited:
I share your scepticism and hopefully one of PlusNet's agents will plod along at some point to clarify.

Officially their website states that what you're looking for is available, albeit indeed said to cost "£10 per month exc VAT" extra. I can't see them offering it at no extra cost, although I do recall mention of it being extended to residential lines sometime back so that may now be correct (equally I don't see any particular reason why they couldn't do it on a residential line).

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/upload_speeds.shtml

However you will need a decent line to make Annex M worthwhile, although I’m not sure where PlusNet draw the line on this (46dB attenuation?).

I share your scepticism and hopefully one of PlusNet's agents will plod along at some point to clarify.

Officially their website states that what you're looking for is available, albeit indeed said to cost "£10 per month exc VAT" extra. I can't see them offering it at no extra cost, although I do recall mention of it being extended to residential lines sometime back so that may now be correct (equally I don't see any particular reason why they couldn't do it on a residential line).

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/upload_speeds.shtml

However you will need a decent line to make Annex M worthwhile, although I’m not sure where PlusNet draw the line on this (46dB attenuation?).

Thanks for the info :)

Sadly I forgot to check my line attenuation and now I'm at Uni (not Home). All I remember is that my speed was 15mb / 0.85mb Fastpath.

Being 312m away from the exchange, do you think my attenuation will be high?

Sponsored Links
I think you should be safe with 15Mbps, which normally implies a fairly good quality line. Likewise 312m is fairly close in ADSL2+ terms.

Hiya Niki,

This isn't something we'd usually offer for free as part of either a residential or a business package, incidentally the latter would mean dealing with our business support team if you were to need help from us.

Regarding your final question again it's not something we'd usually offer, are you referring to just AnnexM there or a broadband package including that?

I'd like to see if anything has been documented regarding what we've discussed with you already about this. With that in mind drop me a PM with your username and I'll be happy to dig further.

Adam
Plusnet Digital Care Team

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules