Sponsored Links

Improving 4G home Internet - where to start?

BTW does anyone have experience of streaming 4K Netflix through 4G internet? Thinking of buying a new telly next month and will likely be getting 4K Netflix too.

Hi,

From what I read you need at least 25 Mbps, maybe with a bit extra to spare to stream 4k from Netflix.

Check your speeds at peak times @ fast.com (Netflix service) to get a sense of the situation.

Worst case you'll get 720 or 1080 which is pretty ok, depending also on bitrate.

Ps: try to avoid samsung tv, extremely aggressive with adverts and spying

BTW does anyone have experience of streaming 4K Netflix through 4G internet? Thinking of buying a new telly next month and will likely be getting 4K Netflix too.
Works fine on Vodafone over 4G. Their internet is pretty stable and doesn’t seem to have some services being throttle like on some other networks.

Network is stable but only get about 30mbps at all times - not blazing but it’s enough for what it’s needed for.

Hi,

From what I read you need at least 25 Mbps, maybe with a bit extra to spare to stream 4k from Netflix.

Check your speeds at peak times @ fast.com (Netflix service) to get a sense of the situation.

Worst case you'll get 720 or 1080 which is pretty ok, depending also on bitrate.

Ps: try to avoid samsung tv, extremely aggressive with adverts and spying
I wasn't aware of this, quite disappointing that you can spend 1k on a telly, only to be spammed out constantly when watching it! Will need to look into it a bit more. Thanks

Alas it's a sh*t show in the smart tv industry. Data is the new oil, surveillance everywhere.

I think LG are some of the less bad ones, prolly because they don't use Android, but their own OS (WebOS).
You should do your own research, of course.

Alas it's a sh*t show in the smart tv industry. Data is the new oil, surveillance everywhere.

I think LG are some of the less bad ones, prolly because they don't use Android, but their own OS (WebOS).
You should do your own research, of course.
I can add a +1 for WebOS and LG TV's. I didn't ever once see an adverts or anything intrusive. I admittedly didn't ever really open the LG movie store or anything but the smart apps worked very well.

It's a shame needing to consider advertising when trying to choose a TV, there is enough variables and restrictions already! Don't want an OLED which narrows the field a lot already!

Does anyone have a Samsung? Wondering if the adverts are worth putting up with, the Samsungs rate very well for a non-OLED tv...

It's a shame needing to consider advertising when trying to choose a TV, there is enough variables and restrictions already! Don't want an OLED which narrows the field a lot already!

Does anyone have a Samsung? Wondering if the adverts are worth putting up with, the Samsungs rate very well for a non-OLED tv...

This might not be the right forum for such questions.. :)

Thought I would take someone's advice and run speedtest on fast.com with the 3 sim card and H818 vs. TP LINK router, results attached. How does the loaded and unloaded latency compares to other peoples? The faster download speeds are the H818, results run a few minutes apart. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201009-113827_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-113827_Chrome.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20201009-120300_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-120300_Chrome.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 127
I usually get unloaded of 25-30ms, loaded can vary a lot, 150-400.

My latency would be worse than yours but it maybe to do with my old Huawei B310, speeds are always good so no issues with 4K streaming.

Attachments

• netflix.jpg
    netflix.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 132
I see similar, but what is that actually measuring? If I measure RTT to say ntp.plus.net or OpenDNS during a speed test I don't see that jump up to more than around 120ms.

I found a bit of an issue with my plan to take out an EE phone contract and use it for home broadband, apparently if you connect more than 12 devices regularly they can move you onto a different plan that they deem to be more appropriate! The same applies if you go over 600Gb a month, I wonder if they actually enforce this? I don't download games or anything, but wonder how close I'll get to the limit with 4K Netflix, and also connect more than 12 devices....

Well, I went for it, but the limit is 1TB afaik, not 600gb (I believe that's O2), I think also the devices number is 15, could be wrong.

To me those numbers are reasonable..

Hi, looks like it was changed on 2nd September of this year, this is copied from the latest terms and conditions:

"If you regularly tether 12 or more devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan. We will consider usage above 600GB/month to be non-personal use and have the right to apply traffic management controls to deprioritise your mobile traffic during busy periods or to move you to a business plan. You can gift up to 100GB. Data usage on an unlimited plan will decrement from giftable allowance. Any data boost allowance will be added to the giftable allowance"

Thanks

Roger, sucks they did that. You need to be careful with Netflix 4k, otherwise it should be plenty.

Do you really have more than 12 devices online at the same time?

I don't have 12 at the same time, probably only 9 at the same time routinely. I thought it meant if the same 12 devices were frequently used?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules