Sponsored Links

In urgent need of advice - moving to remote house next week.

I am moving to a cottage in the Scottish highlands next week and have been badly let down on the installation of a landline. I desperately need internet access, as I work from home. I am also beginning to think that a landline may not be a good idea anyway, as they have only promised maximum speeds of 1mbps. An elderly neighbour has a landline and when I tested his connection, he was actually getting under 1mbps. I have done some tests in the area and Giffgaff seemed to be the strongest network (they only have 4G in the area), although I could only get about 2 bars outside (vodaphone I could not get a signal at all). I don't know for sure but believe the telephone mast is about 5 miles away. When tethering to a phone and depending where I was in the house (walls are very thick), I was getting between 256kbps and 800kbps. The trouble is I am now hundreds of miles away, so can't do anymore tests before I move.

In light of this, I desperately need some sort of outdoor solution. I have read other threads and have seen HUAWEI 5G CPE Win recommended. People say they purchased HUAWEI 5G CPE Win from A1smartshop for around £250 - but I can't find it on there now? Other options I have examined is something like a Huawei B525 paired with a Poynting XPOL-1 external antenna. Not sure if there is anything else I should examine - TP-Link Archer MR600, D-Link DWR-953 Wireless AC1200 4G LTE etc?

The problem is I don't have time to experiment with different solutions and need to order something ASAP that will give the highest probability of working. I understand that is is difficult to guarantee performance, but what do people think is likely to give the best chance of getting a decent speed? I am really running out of time and need to order something ASAP as I work from home.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi tommydog

I am messaging on behalf of Poynting Antennas, we are presenting a webinar tomorrow and thought you and many others on this platform would like to attend as this would help you with your decision on choosing the perfect solution for your application.

Selecting the right LTE Antenna can be a daunting task if you don’t know the selection criteria, why? and how? This Webinar explores the LTE reception challenges; why and how to choose the right (Poynting) Antenna for best performance.

If you struggle with slow internet for gaming, working from home, home schooling, or downloading movies, you will also benefit from this webinar as it will give you an understanding of what an antenna is and what it can do for you.

Included will be some useful links and cheat sheets that will help both the novice and the more experienced person identifying which antenna is best in different scenarios.

We will be presenting the same content during two sessions to accommodate different time zones. Please select which time zone suits you best

Session 1: 8:00 GMT+2 (CAT)(Johannesburg)/ 14:00 GMT+8 (AWST)(Perth)/16:00 GMT+10 (AEST) (Sydney)
https://register.gotowebinar.com/regi.../8456878706360904205
Session 2: 15:00 GMT+2 (CAT)(Johannesburg)/ 9:00 GMT-4 (EST)(New York)/15:00 GMT+2 (CEST) (Berlin)
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/839555607618289419

I look forward to seeing yourself and many others tuned in tomorrow
All the best
Shane

No I am still getting my head around everything! Can I just ask how it works with POE if I don't want to use the POE injector that the SXT and LHG ships with? I would prefer to power the device directly from a POE switch (like TP link TL-SF1005P V2 or Mikrotik HAP ac lite), but how would this work if I want the SXT or LHG to also provide internet to the network switch? I ask this as many network switches supporting POE do not support POE from the port which services internet to the switch.
Hi, I have never heard of this you may be getting confused with a router. I haven't personally found a router with a POE WAN port (there may well be ones out there). Certainly POE capable switches should be fine, but make sure you confirm which ports are POE before you connect everything up as not all ports on the switch will be POE capable.

The TP-Link switch you mentioned has 4 POE ports and 1 normal port. It is also only a 10/100 capable switch why not go for one that can handle 1 Gig? Like this one https://www.ebuyer.com/806637-tp-li...bit-desktop-switch-with-4-port-poe-tl-sg1005p

Just a suggestion

Hi, I have never heard of this you may be getting confused with a router. I haven't personally found a router with a POE WAN port (there may well be ones out there). Certainly POE capable switches should be fine, but make sure you confirm which ports are POE before you connect everything up as not all ports on the switch will be POE capable.

Just to confirm I ordered MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 in the end, as I thought the dish may give better results. I have also ordered a Smarty SIM for testing.

As for what I want to do, I want to power the Mikrotik HAP ac lite with POE from something like the Mikrotik HAP ac lite (or other suitable device). I don't want to have to use 2 separate power supplies e.g. one power supply to power the LHG and one power supply to power the HAP ac Lite. The HAP ac Lite must also receive internet from the MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6. Not sure what cables etc I need to make this work?

I've never used those devices, so can't say, but since it's all power over ethernet.. then all you need are ethernet cables.

but since it's all power over ethernet.. then all you need are ethernet cables.
But the power injector that ships with the MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 uses a barrel plug, so not sure what cables I need if I just want everything powered from the POE on the Mikrotik HAP ac lite and also the MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 to provide internet to the Mikrotik HAP ac lite? The Mikrotik HAP ac lite will be my only source for internet. I just want to set this up so I don't have two power adapters plugged into the wall.

But the power injector that ships with the MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 uses a barrel plug, so not sure what cables I need if I just want everything powered from the POE on the Mikrotik HAP ac lite and also the MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 to provide internet to the Mikrotik HAP ac lite? The Mikrotik HAP ac lite will be my only source for internet. I just want to set this up so I don't have two power adapters plugged into the wall.
All you need is to supply power to the POE switch from the mains, it will come with a suitable mains power supply.

You then plug one end of the Ethernet cable into one of the POE enabled ports of the switch.

Then connect the other end into you 4G router and that's it.

The Switch should auto adjust the output voltage to that required by the router.

Put the power supply and the dodge cable it comes with in the "man draw" for safe keeping

Sponsored Links
All you need is to supply power to the POE switch from the mains, it will come with a suitable mains power supply.

You then plug one end of the Ethernet cable into one of the POE enabled ports of the switch.

Then connect the other end into you 4G router and that's it.

But I was thinking if I went for something like the Mikrotik hAP AC Lite RB952Ui-5ac2nD, I would not need a separate router and switch?

The Mikrotik HAP AC Lite will do all the routing and switching you need from what I can gather. Mind you, with thick house walls, you might need another AP in another part of the building to cover it all properly.

I am still not sure the Mikrotik hAP AC Lite RB952Ui-5ac2nD can power the LTE router. The router requires active PoE according to the specs, whereas the AC Lite only provides passive poe and I think too low amperage, as well.

Do take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't used either devices. Ideally you'd speak to mikrotik or someone who sells them.

But I was thinking if I went for something like the Mikrotik hAP AC Lite RB952Ui-5ac2nD, I would not need a separate router and switch?
The equipment you are thinking about getting are both routers as far as I can see, I agree with Lucian you need to talk to a Mikrotik reseller to confirm that both work together before you spend any cash and end up with 2 incomparable pieces of equipment.

Personally I would do this:

4G router------POE Switch--------WiFi Access Point (AP)

Both the 4G router and the AP could be powered from the POE switch.

This is only a suggestion and I have never used any Mikrotik equipment.

Both the 4G router and the AP could be powered from the POE switch.
Yes the 4G router can be powered from a POE switch, but the problem is most switches I have seen have a dedicated port that the router must be plugged into for internet, and non of these dedicated ports seem to support POE. So while I could power the MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 from a POE port on a switch, there would be no internet coming to the switch from the router. Unless anyone knows a product that will work?

Sponsored Links
No idea, mate. Perhaps others know more.
In the end, worst case, it's just that one extra wire.. surely you'll grow to tolerate it. :)

Yes the 4G router can be powered from a POE switch, but the problem is most switches I have seen have a dedicated port that the router must be plugged into for internet, and non of these dedicated ports seem to support POE. So while I could power the MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 from a POE port on a switch, there would be no internet coming to the switch from the router. Unless anyone knows a product that will work?
Sorry I don't understand what you mean by no internet, the whole reason to have a switch is to distribute the network (The Internet) from a router to other connected devices such as computers and WiFi access points.

Most switch's don't have a dedicated uplink port (not the ones I use anyway) for connection to a router

Give MikroTick a call I'm sure they can figure something out for you

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by no internet, the whole reason to have a switch is to distribute the network (The Internet) from a router to other connected devices such as computers and WiFi access points.

If you look at devices like the below. The device providing internet to the switch must be connected to a specific port. This port does not support POE to power the device providing the internet.

41f-PR5bp-P8-L-AC.jpg

If you look at devices like the below. The device providing internet to the switch must be connected to a specific port. This port does not support POE to power the device providing the internet.

41f-PR5bp-P8-L-AC.jpg
That's because it's a router not a switch so these are you WAN connections. You ideally only want to have one router on your network. So I would have the 4G router doing all the routing operations and just have a switch to do the distribution.

That's because it's a router not a switch so these are you WAN connections. You ideally only want to have one router on your network. So I would have the 4G router doing all the routing operations and just have a switch to do the distribution.
Or put the lte router in bridge mode and let this other router do the routing.. but it's all becoming a bit too redundant..

That's because it's a router not a switch so these are you WAN connections.
Well all the switches I can find also require that you supply the internet to one specific port which is not POE. Below is an example of a TP link device:

switch.jpg

Well all the switches I can find also require that you supply the internet to one specific port which is not POE. Below is an example of a TP link device:

switch.jpg
A switch should not care which port is the "internet" port, all ports are switched by default in the same (v)lan.

Perhaps they assume you don't want to send power upstream, towards the ISP which might be some DSL modem you could damage, hence leaving a port out of the Poe scheme.

I think any/most poe switches will work for you, just plug the router in a powered port... eg:

Perhaps they assume you don't want to send power upstream, towards the ISP which might be some DSL modem you could damage, hence leaving a port out of the Poe scheme.

I think any/most poe switches will work for you, just plug the router in a powered port... eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005P-Ethernet-Configuration-Required/dp/B076982FVC/

If you think that will work to power the MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 (which is a 4g modem, router, antenna combined) and supply internet to the Switch , just from one single POE port then I will get it.

I know you said the switch does not care which is the "internet" port, but from a theoretical perspective what would happen if someone plugged two different MikroTik RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6 devices (connected to two different 4G providers) into POE ports (say ports 1 and 2). Which internet connection would ports 3 and 4 see? I am not going to do this, but it's a theoretical question.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules