Sponsored Links

Inconsistent speeds

chinohills

Hi

Just set up my new mobile broadband with a three unlimited data sim.

I'm using the Huawei b525 hub and the poynting 4G XPOL A0001 antenna.

The speeds are reading very differently depending on where I read them. On the hub homepage it says I have 10 Gbps download and when I use the Google speed test it is about 10mbps.

Anyway my main issue is the upload is consistently higher than the download.
Should this be the case and if not then how can I try to fix this issue?

It is also worth mentioning my results drastically change.

1 moment it's 10mbps download the next it's 1 if that.

you're sharing capacity with other users. Most people download more than they upload, so your download speeds will fluctuate. Depending on where you are and how your local site is configured in terms of capacity, 10Mbps could be about right.

Obviously 10Gbps isn't right in any outcome :) . Out of interest, if you connect with your mobile phone to the same network then what speeds do you get?

Sponsored Links
I do not use Google speed test as it does not pick up I have dual wan which suggests its single thread not multiple. Instead I use speedtest.net.

I use the Ookla speedtest Windows app as I find it reasonably reliable. I find the speed I am getting on Vfe LTE to vary a lot without much a noticeable pattern I can make out. I am getting higher speeds than you though - mine anywhere from 6Mbps to 50+ Mbps. It does not often drop below 10Mbps though.

To get an idea over a longer period I download a 'large Linux distribution' from Usenet with multiple threads. My router gives an accurate graph over time. I don't think the Usenet quite utilizes all the bandwidth 100% of the time but it is a good indication.

The most reliable way of zapping all my bandwidth was when my son was at home and downloaded Steam updates - that creates hundreds of connections and just saturates the WAN....thankfully he has left home now....

Here is a typical time slice, as you can see it is quite choppy and slow at the moment:

Capture.PNG

If I was to run the same over my FWA WAN it would be quite smooth. The graph scale is MBps, not Mbps.

Seems common on congested masts. One option is to switch the router into 3G mode and test. This can give up to 20 Mb/s down in some areas.

There's a 'statistics' or similar page in the router. If you post the signal stats here it will help.

Sponsored Links
Do you use ZoneAlarm firewall??

I discovered years ago, that it can completely screw up coms driver installs if it is active during the install.
I had a mobo replaced 3 times before figuring this out.

As in the description, the corrupted driver would report GB download speeds (on a 300 Mb wifi device), but sub 1Mb speeds were the best I could achieve.

I think your find you are switching between masts with a marginal signal, upload can be higher in some situations.

I'd check to see if it's switching, should display the mast ID on the router page somewhere.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5445)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2227)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1955)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1649)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1447)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules