Sponsored

Independent Fibre ISP question

Brian47

I am currently with EE 36mbps contract (FTTC) and my contract has come to an end. We have an independent ISP installing FTTP in our area (partially funded by the government voucher scheme) and I have an option to sign up which I am seriously considering as it is not much more expensive than EE. Before I take the leap I would like to try and get some answers to some questions. Firstly, am I correct in assuming that the independent ISP who installed FTTP are the owners of that line and I will not be able to chose another ISP using their line at the end of the contract? Secondly, if this is the case and the cost becomes extortionate because they are the only provider, would I have any difficulty reverting back to FTTC? Does Openreach remove the connections if they haven't been used for a couple of years? Thanks in advance for your help.

kommando828

ULTIMATE Member
Your FTTC line will remain in place, disconnected with a dial tone but could be turned on when a new FTTC contract is entered, so if FTTP costs increase you will have that option until OR install FTTP when you will then have two FTTP options.

My old ADSL line is in place unused for 4 years, its going to be made FTTP later this year and then I will drop 4G and go FTTP. My address has stayed on the OR database all this time and I could have reactivated ADSL anytime.

candlerb

Top Member
Firstly, am I correct in assuming that the independent ISP who installed FTTP are the owners of that line and I will not be able to chose another ISP using their line at the end of the contract?
If you name the ISP, you'll get a more definitive answer.

In general, most small altnets don't wholesale. A few larger ones do (e.g. Gigaclear) and some are wholesale-only (e.g. Cityfibre)

Matt_2k34

Casual Member
Does Openreach remove the connections if they haven't been used for a couple of years? Thanks in advance for your help.
No. When I had BT FTTP fitted I was asked if I wanted the copper removing. Line will stay there regardless. Anyone who isn't BT won't be removing their copper (FTTC) lines.

Brian47

Thanks for your responses. The altnet is Grayshott Gigabit. I suppose I should have done this before but I decided to call their customer services team and raised the query with them. I was told that from April 2023 their network and others like them will be opened up and other ISP's will be able to use their network.

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks for your responses. The altnet is Grayshott Gigabit. I suppose I should have done this before but I decided to call their customer services team and raised the query with them. I was told that from April 2023 their network and others like them will be opened up and other ISP's will be able to use their network.
Think this is your parallel thread at TBB:

I would question the statement "from April 2023 their network and others like them will be opened up and other ISP's will be able to use their network"

There are moves afoot to allow more straightforward customer migrations across various discrete FTTP networks that come into play from April 2023. See story here on Ofcom's new One Touch Switching (OTS) and further follow-up story about the CWP platform that some of the smaller AltNets (perhaps like GG) may use to help them too comply with OTS.

However I'm unaware that there is a move to force these various network to allow wholesale access from this date. That would be something else again.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4204)
  2. BT (3181)
  3. Politics (2149)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1995)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1866)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1629)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1397)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1301)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1251)
  14. Fibre Optic (1246)
  15. Wireless Internet (1244)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (923)
  18. EE (920)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules