Sponsored Links

Indoor 4G setup in comercial space building

HavocLP

Casual Member
Hi all,
I struggle to find best approach for backup internet connection we need asap. It will be positioned in the comercial building, with limited options for any works. This is big open space on a first floor of the building. Construction is typical shopping centre like, corridor in the middle and offices on the left and right. Lots of glass and other obstructions. In one word-nightmare.
Thing is....my mobile phone can go up to 150/20mbps via Lebara sim on 4G. Which I am happy with. But I had RUTX14 for a day and when connected with it via Wi-Fi speed test only go up to 60 or 100mbps at best (depends on how I position those tiny antennas).

I was really surprised to see it to work slower than a mobile phone....ideas?

So, what I am trying to figure out is if I can get a stable network connection for few users with lets say TRB500 and Poynting 5G-XPOL-1 but...installed Indoor only when my mobile phone has a good enough signal. I could try and dream about catching 5G as it seems like there is EE mast nearby, but this probably will not work without antenna installed outside.

Could you guys advice please? I am clueless in regards of how much signal improvement I can get from low entry antennas like that. Or should I go with cheaper router and better antenna? Any advices? All i need from router is some remote management and ethernet port. No wi-fi needed, external AP will be used.

This sounds like something you need to pay a consultant for, given that it's for a business premises (and required "asap") rather than a home user looking for improved residential internet.

Thing is....my mobile phone can go up to 150/20mbps via Lebara sim on 4G. Which I am happy with. But I had RUTX14 for a day and when connected with it via Wi-Fi speed test only go up to 60 or 100mbps at best (depends on how I position those tiny antennas).

The RUTX14 is Cat 12, your mobile (depending on what it is) is likely to be much higher.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like something you need to pay a consultant for, given that it's for a business premises (and required "asap") rather than a home user looking for improved residential internet.
Not sure what the difference is. Bottom line, what I am asking is if I can get any improvement in signal quality if I will use antenna made for outdoor use, but indoor. Either if it is xpol-1-v2 or Poynting A-OMNI-493 Omni-Directional for example.

Not sure what the difference is. Bottom line, what I am asking is if I can get any improvement in signal quality if I will use antenna made for outdoor use, but indoor. Either if it is xpol-1-v2 or Poynting A-OMNI-493 Omni-Directional for example.
What you're demanding is free help "ASAP" from people on the internet, on a site you literally just signed up to, for your business. Pay professionals, that's how the world works.

Hi all,
I struggle to find best approach for backup internet connection we need asap. It will be positioned in the comercial building, with limited options for any works. This is big open space on a first floor of the building. Construction is typical shopping centre like, corridor in the middle and offices on the left and right. Lots of glass and other obstructions. In one word-nightmare.

So, what I am trying to figure out is if I can get a stable network connection for few users with lets say TRB500 and Poynting 5G-XPOL-1 but...installed Indoor only when my mobile phone has a good enough signal. I could try and dream about catching 5G as it seems like there is EE mast nearby, but this probably will not work without antenna installed outside.

Could you guys advice please? I am clueless in regards of how much signal improvement I can get from low entry antennas like that. Or should I go with cheaper router and better antenna? Any advices? All i need from router is some remote management and ethernet port. No wi-fi needed, external AP will be used.
Does your ISP offer a backup solution, as if they do it may be worth investigating.

What you're demanding is free help "ASAP" from people on the internet, on a site you literally just signed up to, for your business. Pay professionals, that's how the world works.
Listen, I didn't know I have to go to so much details about it, but you misunderstood what I meant. ASAP is for me...I need this now, I am not requiring anyone here to jump on and help me ASAP. This is forum, those usually exists for sharing expierience. I don't see a difference between expierence in a business environement and personal home.
More of what, I am IT techie and I am doing this for my own benefit (as opportunity and need strike me) and again, to gain some expierience with this. Not going to pay any pro for placing a router and antenna on a desk....
But if you must know, I have done queries and ask around. Best option I received was tp-link router worth £70 with no antenna... Also that router was over £150 on a invoice containting installation charge of £900.... seriously, I might need some help but I would rather "borrow" equipment from amazon and test various configs, than to pay someone 900 for pluging consumer grade device into power...I am not a moron.

Sponsored Links
Does your ISP offer a backup solution, as if they do it may be worth investigating.
THat is my problem. Building has fibre connected but managing company is a banch of *****. Network barely works. We have no control over the building or fibre line coming in. Also we cannot connect anything on our own. 4G is the only option. We have been back and forth with them for weeks...nothing is getting change anytime soon.

THat is my problem. Building has fibre connected but managing company is a banch of *****. Network barely works. We have no control over the building or fibre line coming in. Also we cannot connect anything on our own. 4G is the only option. We have been back and forth with them for weeks...nothing is getting change anytime soon.
So what is the current router, can it support dual WAN?

What you are looking for a is a Mobile Broadband Bridge Modem like the MC7010.
TRB500 could be considered overkill for your requirements.

The way we do this is using a proper fail over network configuration into our shops, which is done via the router. Even where it is in a shopping centre...

So get one connection in from the landlord and one from AN Other ISP (as and example), and then use one as live and the second connection as a hot swap..

This is really something you should get someone with a network background to help with or one of the enterprise teams at an ISP. And your property team..

We have tried this with 4G Hotswap and have had allsorts of issues, especially where CCTV or EPOS and Card Machines are involved..

Sponsored Links
No, you aren't my boss and we aren't your staff. Don't sign up here and make immediate demands and then tell people to "listen".
Weird...I don't see your name on a contact page...I hope you don't mind if I will not follow your order sir...thank you for your input but I will stick to discussion with others willing to help.

The way we do this is using a proper fail over network configuration into our shops, which is done via the router. Even where it is in a shopping centre...

So get one connection in from the landlord and one from AN Other ISP (as and example), and then use one as live and the second connection as a hot swap..

This is really something you should get someone with a network background to help with or one of the enterprise teams at an ISP. And your property team..

We have tried this with 4G Hotswap and have had allsorts of issues, especially where CCTV or EPOS and Card Machines are involved..

So what is the current router, can it support dual WAN?

What you are looking for a is a Mobile Broadband Bridge Modem like the MC7010.
TRB500 could be considered overkill for your requirements.

Well we cant use it as a failover, as network infrastructure crashes but it is mostly qos or lost packets issue. I know for a fact it wouldn't kick in any failover in the router, as network seems active even when you cannot do anything on it.
So we want to cut out fully from that one. Other bit is, we cannot get our own IP range and are force to work on a "guest" wifi with 15 year old APs. This is just no good.
I cannot say much more, but this is not a private sector and there are people whos learning and develop depends of having access to internet during a day and we just trying to help as much as possible.
MC7010 doesn't have SMA connectors...does it?

So you want to move to a Public CGNAT Mobile connection, that has inherent packet loss and latency...

Sorry to say but you are heading for a big fail and a world of pain, with thinking a mobile connection is the best solution.. And sounds like you are trying to shoe horn a solution in...

Is there not network architecture team that can have a look?

As I said this needs a network professional to look at it, as others have said you are into the world of consultancy....

and indeed this is an area where an ISP solution can be better. The BT version of this requires you to use their router, but in return you get unlimited data and most importantly your static IP or multi static block of addresses is seamlessly switched over to the 4G too, so any systems that expect a specific IP address or can't tolerate a sudden change of IP would continue to operate.

As for the OP, I'm not sure what sort of weird building they're in where they can't even get a phone line for broadband, but to me that seems like a better move than faffing around with random equipment and ruining Amazon's return policies for the rest of us

I cannot say much more
Then contract with a consultant, who you can be as candid with as you need to be, and who will be bound by confidentiality.
there are people whos learning and develop depends of having access to internet
You were running EPOS and card machines a few posts ago, and now you're Mother Teresa running an altruistic not-for-profit.

Sponsored Links
Mate I don’t understand much of what you’re saying to be honest but I understand enough to say that your working in a multimillion pound project and having trouble getting your management team to work with you to have a reliable internet connection, so Quit

If the people your working with are so incompetent or stupid, either stick with 4G on your phone, spend stupid money playing around with routers antennas and SIMs like we all do, or quit and work somewhere that has the foresight to hire people who do this properly

I would rather "borrow" equipment from amazon and test various configs, than to pay someone 900 for pluging consumer grade device into power...I am not a moron.
A business owner hires a professional to do a job for her. The guy turns up, pokes around a bit, does the job and after half an hour he's done and hands her a bill for £700.

"£700?" she says, incredulous. "It only took you half an hour, I'm not paying you that for half an hour's work."

"Yes," he replies. "But it took me ten years to learn how to do that in half an hour. You're paying me for the ten years."

A business owner hires a professional to do a job for her. The guy turns up, pokes around a bit, does the job and after half an hour he's done and hands her a bill for £700.

"£700?" she says, incredulous. "It only took you half an hour, I'm not paying you that for half an hour's work."

"Yes," he replies. "But it took me ten years to learn how to do that in half an hour. You're paying me for the ten years."

So true..

The Op doesn't realise that a Networking professional wont install the consumer grade kit, they will install Enterprise Grade kit, with support and do a job properly, unlike the half job and on the cheap he is doing....

Asking on a forum for professional enterprise solutions is taking the pee to be honest....

I don't think there's any need to get this heated toward the original poster and growing an unnecessary argument out of it. I think most would agree that a proper consultant is what is needed here, but just leave it at that, and if anybody else wants to add constructive feedback then please do so.

Back to the question at hand. I think the reality here is that it's a very difficult question to answer, and figuring out the best antenna / kit combo to use for such an unusual situation is going to be tricky. In order to understand this better, I suggest reading through this article, which helps to highlight just how tedious mobile signals can be to fully understand and that's when trying to do it the normal way (external deployment):

Normally I'd suggest a mobile repeater / booster, but I'm not sure if that'd make much sense unless you can find a way to fit the receiver outside. In addition, these aren't really orientated toward the enterprise environment:

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5384)
  2. BT (3489)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1377)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1110)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules