Sponsored Links

Internet filters for children

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
So the time has come to do internet filtering, the kids are spending a while on the computers for school and I'm not able to supervise 100% of the time.

What do people use ? I'm not really keen on ISP filters, or installing bits of software on every single computer/device. I had looked into using squid proxy transparently via the router and using some lists but there are apparently issues with it according to some people (like it not working too well, needing regular updates etc.

So I'm open to suggestions but ideally it would

1) be network wide, so I don't have to install on each device (but if it must , then it must)
2) be able to turn it off for the adults.
3) be good at blocking the bad stuff and not require me to maintain lists of hosts etc
4) not be run by my ISP (I want to decice what's blocked, not them, and besides we have 2 ISPs)
5) not be easily defeated, say by using 1.1.1.1/8.8.8.8/opendns etc.

if it runs on a linux based router, even better.

thank you very much.

I think DNS based control is still the way to go.
Check NextDNS or even Pihole.
Block connections on port 53, except for your local resolver and block access to the likes of 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 altogether (to avoid DoH etc).

I think DNS based control is still the way to go.
Check NextDNS or even Pihole.
Block connections on port 53, except for your local resolver and block access to the likes of 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 altogether (to avoid DoH etc).
I tried pihole some time ago, but abandoned it due to it blocking stuff it shouldn't have, maybe i'll reinvestigate that. I know openDNS has some controls for filtering too.

I guess DNS isn't too bad, as I said we have two ISPs so I currently use cloudflare DNS.

Thanks Lucian.

Sponsored Links
3) be good at blocking the bad stuff and not require me to maintain lists of hosts etc
Think this will still be an issue with openDNS/pihole, you'd have to hunt down some lists of the categories of websites you'd want to block and add them to the configuration.

Not very hands-free, really. Likely still the best bet you'd have though, I'm not aware of any other solutions that would also tick the not run by ISP/not easily defeated boxes...

I have two wireless networks running, one for adults and one for kids.
The kids one has DNS resolve to a pihole running in a docker container and then the pihole uses cloudflare families for dns resolution. I found this was the easiest way to manage it, this way me and the wife can look at whatever we want and the kids cant.

I subscribe to the "don't let them near the internet" principle, and just make sure one of us is with the kids whenever they use a PC or mobile phone.

iOS and Android has particularly good filters, I’m sure Windows does also.

Sponsored Links
Do you know about "Qustodio" I think it is one of the best options for you, especially if you have younger children.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules