Sponsored Links

Internet for My Garage

CableGuy07

Casual Member
So I’m after a bit of advice here, I recently converted part of my garage into a office/gaming room and currently I’m using a power line adapter to get internet access (garage is detached from the house across a courtyard) however as you all know powerline adapters can be flaky at the best of times.

Due to the location of the garage being away from the house I’m unable to run a straight Ethernet cable into it, when the armoured power cable was installed it was just laid bare and not in conduit.

So I was wondering if there were any other solutions to powerline at all that could be more beneficial due to working from home more than ever.

thanks

How far away is it and how much are you willing to spend?

I think the simplest would be to put a good wireless router somewhere in the house closest to the garage, or an outdoor WiFi AP perhaps that has good enough signal to stretch into the garage.

Or You could use a point to point bridge.
Something like a Ubiquiti setup - you need the bit to go on your house such as the NanoBeam AC (model Loco5AC 50 quid on Amazon) and a LiteBeam AC antenna for the garage side (another 50 quid).

Might be a bit overkill though just for a garage. Using a cable would be the arguably superior option. If it's a courtyard could you not pull up the tiles/pavers and shove a cable underneath? Or just have the cable run suspended between the two? Especially if it's for gaming as with wireless solutions you're just going to be adding latency into your connection.

Sponsored Links
Pulling copper ethernet cables between buildings is risky. If there's a thunderstorm nearby you can get large potential differences between the buildings, which may fry the equipment - and more importantly the humans - at either end.

If you *must* use ethernet cable, then there are special ethernet surge arrestors available.

However it's better to use an outdoor-rated fibre optic cable, with 2 or more strands (send + receive). At each end you'll need a device with an SFP port, such as the Netgear GS110TP switch. The SFPs themselves are only about £7 from fs.com (you'll want 1000baseLX).

Fibre can be single-mode or multi-mode. Both will work for the distances in question, but single-mode is preferable as it's essentially future-proof for any speed, and is often cheaper.

If you get unarmoured cable then it should be pulled through a duct, or you can get aerial cable. Armoured cable can be direct-buried, and will resist being chewed by rats etc, but the metal armour needs to be correctly bonded to earth at each end, for the same safety reasons.

However, point-to-point wireless will certainly be easier to install, and over short distances should give good performance.

How far away is it and how much are you willing to spend?

I think the simplest would be to put a good wireless router somewhere in the house closest to the garage, or an outdoor WiFi AP perhaps that has good enough signal to stretch into the garage.

Or You could use a point to point bridge.
Something like a Ubiquiti setup - you need the bit to go on your house such as the NanoBeam AC (model Loco5AC 50 quid on Amazon) and a LiteBeam AC antenna for the garage side (another 50 quid).

Might be a bit overkill though just for a garage. Using a cable would be the arguably superior option. If it's a courtyard could you not pull up the tiles/pavers and shove a cable underneath? Or just have the cable run suspended between the two? Especially if it's for gaming as with wireless solutions you're just going to be adding latency into your connection.
Folks, hope you don't mind my jumping into this thread. Very similar situation as yourself and not overly versed on PTP stuff. But, it seems what you suggest above sounds like a solution, digging up the yard to install ethernet isn't an option.

So, in an explain like I'm 5 style, what do I need to get internet out to my outhouse? From my current router, do I need to run ethernet to the naonbeam AC, and then on the outhouse where the Litebeam AC will be, how do I re-distribute the signal via WiFi etc out there? Do I need an additional router or will the Litebeam do that?

Thanks in advance!

Folks, hope you don't mind my jumping into this thread. Very similar situation as yourself and not overly versed on PTP stuff. But, it seems what you suggest above sounds like a solution, digging up the yard to install ethernet isn't an option.

So, in an explain like I'm 5 style, what do I need to get internet out to my outhouse? From my current router, do I need to run ethernet to the naonbeam AC, and then on the outhouse where the Litebeam AC will be, how do I re-distribute the signal via WiFi etc out there? Do I need an additional router or will the Litebeam do that?

Thanks in advance!
You’re right in terms of the setup, on the garage end you’d need to put a router in there attached by Ethernet to the receiving antenna - preferably in access point mode so it’s just distributing the WiFi and leaving all the router-ing to the router.

Worth mentioning that as it’s just redistributing the WiFi over a very short distance any sort of a cheap (albeit reliable) router would do.

Sponsored Links
I am really interested in this thread as I have, for some time, been trying to get reliable Broadband in a hobbies' room that is about forty feet down my garden.

@TTJJ : could you expand on the Ubiquiti setup to which you refer ? Or point me in the direction of any tutorial that might be available online please ? I have searched Google and cannot find anything helpful, so something that takes me through this in small steps would be useful, as it is outside of my current comfort zone.

I am really interested in this thread as I have, for some time, been trying to get reliable Broadband in a hobbies' room that is about forty feet down my garden.

@TTJJ : could you expand on the Ubiquiti setup to which you refer ? Or point me in the direction of any tutorial that might be available online please ? I have searched Google and cannot find anything helpful, so something that takes me through this in small steps would be useful, as it is outside of my current comfort zone.
You can always burry a ethernet cable to that as long as you make sure its a suitable one

Sponsored Links
We have a garage at the end of our garden, which was converted to be an office. Its 18m from the back of the house to the garage.
I have run an armored network cable along side the armored mains cable. There is no requirement to burry these cables if you pin them to the fence line. The armored cable is spliced into normal cat6 in junction boxes on the side of the house and the side of the garage
I have heard of lightning strikes on ethernet cables but this tends to be in the US. I highly doubt lightning would strike in our 20m garden its more likely to be the house or the office its self. I run all unifi gear and the additional cost needed to run fibre wasn't worth it.
I probably have 60m of cable between the router and the studio with various switches inbetween and get 350mb (max supplied) over wifi in our garden office.

We have a garage at the end of our garden, which was converted to be an office. Its 18m from the back of the house to the garage.
I have run an armored network cable along side the armored mains cable. There is no requirement to burry these cables if you pin them to the fence line. The armored cable is spliced into normal cat6 in junction boxes on the side of the house and the side of the garage
I have heard of lightning strikes on ethernet cables but this tends to be in the US. I highly doubt lightning would strike in our 20m garden its more likely to be the house or the office its self. I run all unifi gear and the additional cost needed to run fibre wasn't worth it.
I probably have 60m of cable between the router and the studio with various switches inbetween and get 350mb (max supplied) over wifi in our garden office.

Last summer during all those massive storms we had, my office had either a direct or nearby lightning strike. I wasn't physically there so I cant comment on where it actually hit or how bad it was but it fried the modem we have for vDSL backup. It caused some other odd things to happen as well, made an etherrnet WAN port on the sonicwall firewall it was connected to inoperative/pass no traffic and also stopped a 48 port POE switch from powering devices connected to it (even though the ports would work normally with no POE).
I managed to blag a lot of it under warranty from the various suppliers of the devices but it just goes to show the weird things that can happen. Having said that I personally wouldnt worry about it too much especially for home use, the chances it could happen to you would be miniscule when you weigh up the cost of making things "lightning proof"

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules