Sponsored

Ip searches

snowman57

Casual Member
HELLO,
I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM, SO PLEASE TELL ME IF I WOULD BE BETTER OFF POSTING THIS THREAD IN ANOTHER SECTION...?
MY QUESTION TO YOU GUYS IS ABOUT IP SEARCHING AND ISP.??
I HAVE DONE A TRACE ON A SPANISH IP ADDRESS. THE INFORMATION TELLS ME WHO THE ISP IS, AND WHICH CITY THIS IS IN.
MY QUESTION IS: THESE IP SEARCHES CAN ONLY PROVIDE THE ISP COMPANY AND CITY LOCATION, BUT TO FIND WHERE AN ACTUAL LOCAL COMPUTER WAS USED AND WHERE IT WAS ACCESSED, IS A ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STORY AND NOT POSSIBLE, CORRECT?
AS I UNDERSTAND, THE ISP GIVE OUT A IP LOCATION ADDRESS TO A WIDE AREA WHICH COULD BE MANY MANY MILES AWAY FROM WHERE THEY ARE? AND WHERE THE LOCAL COMPUTER WAS ACCESSED.
SO TRACKING TO AN "EXACT" LOCATION IS NOT POSSIBLE.
WOULD CONTACTING A ISP COMPANY BE OF ANY USE? WOULD THEY BE ABLE TO SAY FROM WHICH SPECIFIC AREA OR SMALL TOWN THIS IP ADDRESS COVERED? HERE IS THE IP ADDRESS: 88.28.235.191
I WOULD APPRECIATE IF ANY OF YOU TECH GUYS COULD GIVE ADVICE.
THIS SEEMS TO BE WHAT I AM FINDING OUT.
THANKS
SNOWMAN......:confused:

kansenji

Top Member
Hi snowman57,

I'm no "Tech Guy", so I hope someone else joins the discussion. I do understand though, that an Internet Protocol (IP) Address can only be converted to a physical address by the Internet Service Provider (ISP) that the IP address initially leads to. My own IP address is: 95.172.230.185 & leads to XILO Communications in The City of London (their Registered Office), whereas I am actually located in Somerset! :laugh:

The only thing you can be (fairly) certain of, is that the physical address is in the same country as the ISP the IP Address leads to! In your case, the IP leads to Madrid & I suspect that the physical address could be anywhere in Spain, even in The Canary Islands if Telefonica provide ISP services there (and their Registered Office is in Madrid).

ISPs will certainly not provide that information to a private individual (thank goodness!) I understand that they will only provide it to law enforcement agencies or lawyers where there is evidence of a crime having been committed.

What problem have YOU had concerning that IP address?

Last edited:

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
there are ways to find out geographical locations, but there are allot of things that are unrelated to the IP you would have to search for.. it would all come down to how much that person left online..

as for the IP side of things about the best you can do is trace an IP to its gateway, apart from knowing the ISP used or who the block of IPs are owned by the only thing one can do to actually know the spesific user using said connection would be to have access to the ISPs user list which often requires court orders and such (you would also likely have to be someone from the BPI/RIAA to acquire such information as well)

uno

ISP Rep
I see your IP as;

95.172.230.185 GB United Kingdom C7 Coventry Coventry 52.4167 -1.5500 uno Broadband

Says Maxmind. Their database can often be quite accurate due to information shared by third parties like Google that make up their IP database. I found an article once on how they do this.

Matt

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
WOULD THEY BE ABLE TO SAY FROM WHICH SPECIFIC AREA OR SMALL TOWN THIS IP ADDRESS COVERED? HERE IS THE IP ADDRESS: 88.28.235.191
I WOULD APPRECIATE IF ANY OF YOU TECH GUYS COULD GIVE ADVICE.
THIS SEEMS TO BE WHAT I AM FINDING OUT.
THANKS
SNOWMAN......:confused:

Th IP is verified so when I check the IP address I get Spain.

IP address: 88.28.235.191
Reverse DNS: 191.red-88-28-235.staticip.rima-tde.net.
Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified]
ASN: 3352
ASN Name: Telefonica-Data-Espana (Internet Access Network of TDE)
IP range connectivity: 2
Registrar (per ASN): RIPE
Country (per IP registrar): ES [Spain]
Country Currency: EUR [euros]
Country IP Range: 88.0.0.0 to 88.31.255.255
Country fraud profile: Normal
City (per outside source): Madrid, Madrid
Country (per outside source): ES [Spain]
Private (internal) IP? No
IP address registrar: whois.ripe.net
Known Proxy? No
Link for WHOIS: 88.28.235.191

snowman57

Casual Member
Hello and thanks for everyone's input here to my rather perplexing question, which really confirms what i suspected. The "actual" user ip address could be in a completely different part of a country to where the isp is.
Which leads me to the point what good does an ip search have, in my view, very little if any at all, yes you may say, it is in this country and the isp head office is registered in some city........that does not in my view help trying to trace a ip address. Yes the police authorities etc have the power and quite rightly so, and for good reason. In my case i was trying to locate where my girlfriend is living in spain as she moved address and does not want to divulged where she is for some strange reason i don't know why. So a ip search was my course of investigation to see where she was, alas, without success. If there is any one who could do this for me? I would really appreciate it very much, although as long as the method was legal. If there is a method at all I doubt, "extreme member" mentioned a way, but I don't no. I do not need necessarily a physical address , just a town or city would do for this ip address : 88.28.235.191 which i have posted again if anyone can help.... many thanks guys..!!!
P.s funnily enough, i was watching on and off a film on tv today whilst busy doing other things, and something caught my attention, the lady in the movie called some guy and asked him if he could trace a ip address, two minutes later, he told her it was done and gave her a physical address for it.......hollywood.....:)

boggits

Top Member
A quick look shows that 88.28.235.191 is part of Telefonica Moviles Espana aka Movistar.es so its the IP address being used by mobile broadband. Could be anywhere in Spain (or even over the border into France or Portugal)

snowman57

Casual Member
Thanks boggits.....anywhere in spain portugal or france?....well the distance from the ISP registered office madrid gets even wider....................especially as you said mobile broadband, are you saying my girlfriend has mobile broadband then? p.s I contacted telefonica and was informed I would need to contact the authorities, all I ask was, which city this IP was allocated, they could or would not even divulge that..

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Due to data protection they cannot.

kansenji

Top Member
I see your IP as;

95.172.230.185 GB United Kingdom C7 Coventry Coventry 52.4167 -1.5500 uno Broadband

Says Maxmind. Their database can often be quite accurate due to information shared by third parties like Google that make up their IP database. I found an article once on how they do this.

Matt

That's MY IP & I'm 95 miles away (in a straight line) from Coventry, in Somerset!

:laugh:

snowman57

Casual Member
Thanks again......all this talk about ip searches and finding where the ip address is, in my opinion, is all for nothing.
Who wants to know where the isp is anyway? Certainly not the vast majority of people who try what i did to find the source of an email.
A waste of time quite frankly.........

butler

ULTIMATE Member
wouldn't it be easier to ask you girlfriend where she is ?

snowman57

Casual Member
Yes it does :) but it isn't, just a confused soul lost in the wilderness of oblivion....hence the need to find her.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Or a scared woman trying to avoid a stalker

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I have to agree if she wanted you to know where she is she would tel you.

It does look like she has moved on but you are unable to let go.

snowman57

Casual Member
Yes everyone has their take on things and asumptions from what is posted here, to clarify things i am seeing my girlfriend tomorrow. However, she does not want to tell me where she is living in spain for reasons only beknown to her.....perhaps it will be revealed tomorrow but i suspect not.
By the way, the thread was originally put to question ip searches
not to discuss the why's and wherefore's of my search for answers and original enquiry posted here.
From what i can tell, we are all in agreement this ip search will only provide an isp, from there who knows where the trail goes..............................................................................

boggits

Top Member
Just so people don't get the idea that they are completely anonymous, if it was a case where law enforcement (or fire/ambulance) was involved then the trial would still be live as they would be able to get more details from the ISP.

For example, on BT's WBC & IPSC the line ID (i.e. the physical location on the copper) is passed to the ISPs RADIUS platform at the time of login even if a 'different' subscriber login is used, (LLU service providers tend to have the same functionality built into their network but don't necessarily pass it at the time of login) LEOs could then use it to identify the location that subscriber is connecting from (or at least trace that hop in the path if they are vpn'ing)

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2431)
  2. FTTP (2043)
  3. FTTC (1614)
  4. Building Digital UK (1558)
  5. Politics (1358)
  6. Openreach (1353)
  7. Business (1194)
  8. Statistics (1058)
  9. FTTH (990)
  10. Mobile Broadband (987)
  11. Fibre Optic (950)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (892)
  13. Wireless Internet (874)
  14. 4G (860)
  15. Virgin Media (823)
  16. Sky Broadband (580)
  17. EE (566)
  18. TalkTalk (560)
  19. Vodafone (485)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules