Sponsored Links

Is anyone using a Huawei B818-263 in bridge mode?

teleman6868

Pro Member
Hi all,

I have just bought a shiny new Asus mesh system to improve the wireless signal in my house, and hooked it up to my B818-263. Everything is working really well, except I’m suffering from Double NAT. Both the Asus and Huawei are routing, so I need one to stop, preferably the Huawei.

When the B818 has bridge mode off, the Asus correctly reports a WAN IP provided by the Huawei (192.168.1.101). When I put the B818 into bridge mode and reboot, the ASUS then reports a WAN IP of 10.146.154.229. I thought this was going to work but it’s still a private IP.

I was wondering if anyone is successfully using the B818 in bridge mode? I don’t want to spend more time on configuration if there are known issues.

Thanks all.

When I use Bridge mode on my B715 my Draytek Wan picks up the Three IP address it allocates to the sim card, not sure why the 818 is doing different. Do you have the Asus Wan set to Static or Dynamic IP, obtain IP address automatically.

When I use Bridge mode on my B715 my Draytek Wan picks up the Three IP address it allocates to the sim card, not sure why the 818 is doing different. Do you have the Asus Wan set to Static or Dynamic IP, obtain IP address automatically.
Thanks for the positive news that you have another Huawei bridging correctly. I have tried both dynamic and static, and there’s quite a few options to configure when choosing static. I’ll have to keep playing around. Everything is working well, and I really like all the config options offered by the Asus, but still seeing Double NAT reported.

Sponsored Links
I have a B818-263 in bridge mode connected to an ER-12 router and what you're coming up against is CGNAT. The B818 is correctly passing through its WAN IP...but it's still a private 10.x.x.x IP rather than a public IP. I'm with EE so there's no way around it, although 3 does let you get a public IP by using a different APN - which mobile provider are you with?

Try putting the ethernet cable into different Lan ports on the 818, either port 1 or 4 can act differently on Huawei's.
I’m away with work at the moment (crazy I know) so will have a look when I get back on Friday. Perfectly possible that I have used the wrong port. Cheers.

I have a B818-263 in bridge mode connected to an ER-12 router and what you're coming up against is CGNAT. The B818 is correctly passing through its WAN IP...but it's still a private 10.x.x.x IP rather than a public IP. I'm with EE so there's no way around it, although 3 does let you get a public IP by using a different APN - which mobile provider are you with?
I’m also on EE and understand what you’re saying. I was with Three for a while in my old place and used the APN to avoid CGNAT, but their signal quality was unreliable so I gave up. When I signed up with EE I didn’t see Double NAT being reported, although wasn’t using the mesh system there. I’ll have another look when I get back home. Thanks for the reminder about CGNAT!

Sponsored Links
I’m also on EE and understand what you’re saying. I was with Three for a while in my old place and used the APN to avoid CGNAT, but their signal quality was unreliable so I gave up. When I signed up with EE I didn’t see Double NAT being reported, although wasn’t using the mesh system there. I’ll have another look when I get back home. Thanks for the reminder about CGNAT!
Aha.... I think Asus routers (and therefore maybe the mesh system) use Symmetric NAT by default, which would cause that change in behaviour. You should be able to change it to Full-cone NAT somewhere in the settings menus.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules