Sponsored

Is Be ok?

bitter_drinker

Pro Member
I am finaly jumping ship from Virgin Media (I had to get into the queue mind you).. I am going to BT for phone and I am considering going to Be onto the Be Value package for T'internet, I only surf, the odd visit to You Tube and once in a blue moon a music track. Any thoughts?

Thanks

hatevirginmedia

Casual Member
How far are you from your local BT exchange?
Odds are you wont max out on the 8mb or 24mb they are offering but im sure it will be better than VirginMedia is.
Be: is one of my choice once my new BT line is installed.
Also if you go 24mb there is no min contract ;)

bitter_drinker

Pro Member
Less than a mile from my exchange (road distance), however as long as I get more than 2Mb I will be happy. Cant afford 24mb, and as I am taking half price installtion from BT I am locked into an 18 month contract with them so I am not bothered about a 12 month contract.

hatevirginmedia

Casual Member
Less than a mile from my exchange (road distance), however as long as I get more than 2Mb I will be happy. Cant afford 24mb, and as I am taking half price installtion from BT I am locked into an 18 month contract with them so I am not bothered about a 12 month contract.
18 months for you phone line you mean? Be do a 12 month with the 8mb service and there is a 30 notice if you take the 24mb service.

less than a mile, should be better than 2mb then from what i hear :D Let me know how you get on with them mate ;)

bitter_drinker

Pro Member
Yes 18 months for phone line, so the 12 months contract for the 8mb internet is fine by me. No point in me getting the 24mb service, dont do gaming or big downloads, only really surfing. Thanks for your help

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I'm with Be, and have found them good, but not perfect.

- tech support is awful. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=24446

-Recently my connection kept dropping, and after jumping through the usual hoops (remove extension, use faceplate etc) they changed my profile and it worked.

- They recently had DNS issues, but I now use OpenDNS anyway. I believe these have now been fixed

Generally, (profile issue aside) they are reliable and good value for money (the 24mb service recently went from £24 to £18).

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Ive been with them for about a year now and they've been great. Yeh tech support is a little iffy but if you've been with Virgin Media you'll be used to that - they are much better than VM though and its a FREECALL !!

daveyB

ive just recieved my mac code from VM and im off onto the BE* band wagon ive not heard any bad reports about them yet. ill let you know how i get on once im up and running.

bitter_drinker

Pro Member
Been on Be Value since Friday. Apart from an annoying issue between the Modem and IE7 which can be lived with. Good speeds, good customer service and everything hapened on time.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
What's the issue between IE7 & your modem (and what modem did you get?)

Andy

bitter_drinker

Pro Member
If you set a password on your modem and use IE7 you get locked out of the modem, you have to TELNET into the modem, log-in and add a line of script. This only works once. You have to do this every time, or not have a pasword on the box. This is not an issue with others like Firefox, Netscape etc. I personaly have both IE and Firefox on my PC and have a Firefox Deskstop Icon pointing straight to the Modem. Apparently it will be fixed in the next F/W release.

Edit. The modem depends on the speed. I am on the Be Value and have a Thompson 585.

dlmatthews

Casual Member
Edit. The modem depends on the speed. I am on the Be Value and have a Thompson 585.
All new connections receive the ST585. The router received isn't dependent on the service ordered. The routers shipped have just changed over time - first it was the ST716WL, then it was the ST780WL (as the 716WL was discontinued), and then Be* opted to use the ST585v6 which lacks the VoIP ports.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2428)
  2. FTTP (2036)
  3. FTTC (1612)
  4. Building Digital UK (1557)
  5. Politics (1355)
  6. Openreach (1351)
  7. Business (1190)
  8. Statistics (1054)
  9. FTTH (985)
  10. Mobile Broadband (983)
  11. Fibre Optic (948)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (891)
  13. Wireless Internet (872)
  14. 4G (858)
  15. Virgin Media (819)
  16. Sky Broadband (577)
  17. EE (564)
  18. TalkTalk (558)
  19. Vodafone (481)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules