Sponsored Links

Is cheap broadband ok?

I'm looking to get a broadband connection for a holiday flat. It won't be used for gaming or streaming movies etc. Just need it for getting email and a bit of browsing.

My main home runs BT superfast and is great but the cheapest connection BT do is £24.99pm at 10 Mb.

However, i've noticed a lot cheaper offers. For example if you look at the broadband price list below, you can see the cheapest is the Post Office at just £15.90 at 11 Mb.

[Removed spam link - check ISPr's own list https://www.ispreview.co.uk/list.shtml]

So the Post Office connection is slightly faster than BT but £9pm cheaper!

Am I missing something? Has anybody had experience of using the Post Office broadband?

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
BT are generally one of the most expensive ISPs for standard and superfast broadband packages (partly because of all the value-added features they bolt on top), so you'd find much bigger discounts at TalkTalk, Vodafone, Post Office, Sky Broadband, Direct Save Telecom etc.

When looking at slower ADSL class lines then those rivals tend to benefit from harnessing unbundled (LLU) networks, which can be offered at a much lower price.

However if you only use your holiday flat for a few months every year then have you considered the option of a Mobile Broadband plan? Or even buying a better mobile plan for your phone and sharing that out via the WiFi hotspot feature (tethering)?

I agree with Mark on this one, not to mention many of the big providers will lock you into a year or 2 year contract and leaving early can end up having to pay the rest off.

given your desired usage, mobile broadband sounds a better idea, the only issue would be signal in the area your planning to use it the most in, but l guess my experiences are a little outdated since the last time l used mobile net was back in 2010 so connectivity is likely allot better than is was.

Sponsored Links
For what you describe, I would agree with Mark; if you have a landline, you have to pay line rental all year - even when you are not using it; something like a GiffGaff SIM with a £5 Goodybag would probably be more than enough for each month you are occupying the property, and you pay nothing for the months you are not using it.

Obviously, you would need a suitable 4G router, or a phone that allows HotSpot use (not all do); and a few tests to make sure you get a decent signal.

We run our shops payment system through a GG sim - we were the only people in the local high street able to process card payments last month, after OR ballsed up the ADSL connections for 2 1/2 weeks.

We use a TPLink MR200 4G router, although there are plenty of others out there.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5511)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules