Sponsored

Is G.FAST coverage from a cabinet (pod) shrinking?

Hi,

I live in Derby, near cabinet 2 (postcode DE22 1BG) and have been watching g.fast availability (as indicated by the BT Ultrafast postcode / address checker).

Apologies for the specifics - you'll need Google Maps or similar to understand the text below. Coverage from cabinet 2 (located at the southern junction between Belper Road and Duffield Road), northwards along Duffield Road has varied as follows:
  • On "introduction", coverage extended at least to Ruskin Road.
  • A few months ago the boundary of coverage was between 140 and 142 Duffield Road (interestingly the same pole feeds both so line length would be about the same for these two).
  • Now the boundary of coverage is between 118 and 120 Duffield Road (I haven't checked the poles).
At this rate you'll need to be living inside the pod to get g.fast coverage.

It should be noted that the cable is routed via the back roads (Belper Road, Chevin Place, Chevin Road) so will be somewhat longer than the "crow flies" distance.

Does anyone have any idea whether this reduction in coverage as a result of g.fast performance not being as expected, or as a result of a decision to increase the amount of differential there must be between g.fast and VDSL before g.fast is offered? (It is likely that VDSL will deliver coverage in the 70+Mbps range from cabinet 2 to at least Ruskin Road).

Anyone got any thoughts?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
More than likely it'll be down to the change between what the service was estimated to do pre-build and what they actually discover it can deliver once live, which may affect any estimates being reported by the checker.

One way to tell would be to look at the properties that are still on the boundary of coverage and see if their estimated speeds have changed as the predicted coverage has shrunk. I'd expect the estimates on those lines would have declined.

Of course this is one of those things that could go in both directions, thus there may be areas where G.fast actually performs better than expected. Nevertheless G.fast is highly sensitive to distance and I noted recently that Openreach are already piloting some new tweaks, which could extend its performance on longer lines.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Footprint of G-fast has shrunk I am 5 mins from cabinet and watched it shrink from inset.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £15.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: BLACKFRIDAY
  • Vodafone £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.50
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £23.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Origin Broadband £24.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2265)
  2. FTTP (1723)
  3. FTTC (1498)
  4. Broadband Delivery UK (1480)
  5. Openreach (1213)
  6. Politics (1211)
  7. Business (1079)
  8. Statistics (952)
  9. Fibre Optic (871)
  10. Mobile Broadband (869)
  11. FTTH (803)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (800)
  13. Wireless Internet (796)
  14. 4G (753)
  15. Virgin Media (735)
  16. Sky Broadband (542)
  17. TalkTalk (519)
  18. EE (502)
  19. Vodafone (393)
  20. Security (367)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules