Sponsored Links

Is Openreach FTTP futureproofed for symmetrical speeds.

xm3lite

Hi, I just wanted to ask, are the fibre cables laid by Openreach to my home capable of delivering symmetrical speeds in the future, will they have to replace the fibre cables to achieve that?

Sponsored Links
The cables themselves can probably do Terabit speeds in the future, although Openreach may need to change the kit they use at either end. Essentially in an FTTP deployment the cable itself is no longer a constraint like it has been with copper.

I should caveat though that a small number of areas are being built using ECI FTTP because it would be very difficult / expensive to adopt their favoured approach. You can read more about what this means here:

The cables themselves can probably do Terabit speeds in the future, although Openreach may need to change the kit they use at either end. Essentially in an FTTP deployment the cable itself is no longer a constraint like it has been with copper.

I should caveat though that a small number of areas are being built using ECI FTTP because it would be very difficult / expensive to adopt their favoured approach. You can read more about what this means here:

Thanks for your reply.

Hi, I just wanted to ask, are the fibre cables laid by Openreach to my home capable of delivering symmetrical speeds in the future, will they have to replace the fibre cables to achieve that?

The Openreach design is a PON architecture, but while today this is only deployed as GPON it is completely compatible with future XGS-PON architecture supporting shared 10G symmetrical speeds with 25G and 100G version of the standard coming.

Even it the current OLT Headend is ECI, this doesn't prevent future upgrades.

@Mark.J
Isn't Openreach currently doing a very limited & very secretive trial of FTTP symmetrical speeds? If so, then I would be very surprised if we did NOT see symmetrical speeds on the Openreach FTTP network one day. Though "one day" is perhaps years away...

Sponsored Links
I'll have to check in with my sources to see if that has entered the practical trial phase, although yes we did leak their proposals to trial a symmetrical 1Gbps service (aimed at SMEs, not consumers). You can expect that to be quite expensive though.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5511)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules