Sponsored Links

ISP Reports

dexterblue

As a person who has limited knowledge of computer systems I searched and found this site in the hope someone can help. Twice now my home has been visited by police with a warrant under a section 8 where they said they were looking for evidence of child exploitation etc on devices. When asked where the information came from I was told they could not tell me but it was not an individual so I'm thinking do ISPs information police of these types of things. Laptops etc were screened and nothing found. Twice this has happened and twice nothing found. No explanation. Nothing. All I was told was to change password on our hub which iv done. My hub has always been password protected but I followed the police advice. I'm getting paranoid that someone is feeding the police false information and they are lying when they say it wasn't information from an individual. As this has happened twice I want to ensure it doesn't happen again but am at a lose as where to turn.

I can't see anything in the bill that says ISPs pass information to the police other than on request. I can see the need for police to access records they store with or without a warrant but thought this happened only after surveillance or a tip off.

Sponsored Links
Requesting ICRs does not require a warrant and all ISPs need to keep ICR data from your connection for 12 months regardless. Getting access to the content of your communications (i.e. what you've actually written etc.) does still require a warrant.

so I'm thinking do ISPs information police of these types of things.

Often the police will already have the IP address they believe is responsible and they'll write to the IP owner under RIPA (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act) request asking for the subscribers details. Usually only the name, address, contact information and sometimes how services are paid for.

The ISP are rarely told why they want that data but the requests are graded due to the level of severity and how quick the police want the data.

Nearly every RIPA request will include a non-disclosure statement preventing the ISP from disclosing this even happened.

Matt

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules