Sponsored

ISP with good relationship with OpenReach

mandelbug

Hi there,

I am currently on Vodafone and have been for a couple of years now. Over those years, I have had a lot of issues with the phone line (BT have sent out about 5 engineers within a 1 year period). It looks like the last one who attended finally managed to resolve the issue by replacing the cable from pole to premises. My line has been so problematic that I have a permanent 15% discount applied (making it £18/pm inc line rental) so very cheap.

My gripe with VF was that they would not complain to Openreach, and they do not seem to have any relationship with them. I was complaining to them as a VF customer but they would not complain to OR as an OR customer.

With the new cable though my line appears to have stabalised. My line is a rubbish line, I am about 1 mile from the green cabinet (due north) which is then 1 mile from the exchange (due SW). As a result, the BT Wholesale checker gives the following stats:

Clean DL High 18.5, Low 11.4 UL High 1.3, Low 1.1, Handback 8.8 (VF have min as 7.3)
Dirty DL High 18.2, Low 10 UL 1.3-1.1 Handback 6.5

Best performance of my line that I have seen is 15Mbps which is fine it's all it can do after all. I would be happy with that (or at least as happy as I can be without FTTP). Max observed rate is 13.09 which was on 13/06.

Since my line has become stable, I have removed the VF hub and replaced it with a DrayTek Vigor 130. I have altered the SNR margin and in the stats it indicates I should be able to get a 15ish Mbps connection. I am currently connected at 1139900 and it seems to be a hard limit. DLM hasn't changed anything despite the DrayTek being in place for 2 months and SNR change 4 weeks ago. I have tried powering off the route for 45 minutes to force a DLM profile reset but this hasn't made any difference. I have tried to get VF to reset the DLM profile, even highlighting the article https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...each-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-arrives.html to them indicating it can be done. But because my line is above the minimum guaranteed speed they won't/can't do it.

OR won't help via Twitter as quite rightly, I am not their customer (VF is). I have looked at plusnet as the next cheapest option for Broadband, they seem to have a good customer service aspect to them. Does anyone have any recommendations on either how to get VF to reset my DLM profile, or whether it would be worth moving to plusnet? Any suggestions for other ISPs? I do have a static IP as well that I make use of in Firewall rules for remote hosting. I would like to maintain a static IP (appreciate it will be different with a new supplier)

Thanks in advance

kommando828

Top Member
You don't want the one with the good relationship but the one that gets OR to act. This would be Andrews & Arnold.

Expensive but the best for getting OR to work for their money.

Give us a month and we'll sort your problem broadband line or your money back. If you are migrating your service to us, even though you know you have a problem with your broadband line, we'll take on the fault. We'll tackle the problem and get it fixed within one month. If we don't, then you can migrate away, and owe us nothing for your migration to us and your service charges for that month. - A&A

mandelbug

I was just looking at them, they look like they give OR the kick in they deserve at times. The data cap and cost just put me off a little. Just been reading reviews on Uno which look good on here, but their checker is offline.

NeedHelp

AAISP are excellent if they suit you and you don't mind paying the price and the data caps etc.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Nearly any smaller ISP will get OR to do more than the big guys.
I use Aquiss, when I had an outage last month, they had OR out to me in under an hour.
Not only did the OR guy find and fix the issue, he did some remedial work to stop further damage to my line by a tree, and removed and tidied up some old phone lines that had been disconnected many years ago and left to rot.
3 hours after calling Aquiss with the fault, I was back online.

Unlike A&A, Aquiss have no usage limits.

mandelbug

How are TalkTalk nowadays? From the outside it looks like they are better than they were. Was thinking of the business broadband

TTJJ

ULTIMATE Member
How are TalkTalk nowadays? From the outside it looks like they are better than they were. Was thinking of the business broadband
Don't expect much in terms of support. They still use overseas staff unlike a lot of larger providers. Not that they're doing anything wrong but you get more of a read from the script kind of experience - even if you've done everything in the list they're going to make you do it again on the phone with them otherwise their programming doesn't let them continue the troubleshooting script.

SamuelC

Casual Member
Depends - if you're on a budget and use a decent amount of bandwidth then best bet in my opinion would be Zen. Otherwise Andrews & Arnold are probably the best but quite expensive for the premium service and bandwidth usage cap.

Last edited:
Andrews & Arnold are hard to beat if you want a rock solid service, top-notch technical support and a team that get results out of OpenReach. Yes, it’s a premium price but it’s a premium service to match.

I’d still be with them if I hadn’t moved to place where wired broadband isn’t a viable option, but that’s nothing to do with AAISP.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2769)
  2. FTTP (2756)
  3. FTTC (1785)
  4. Building Digital UK (1743)
  5. Politics (1667)
  6. Openreach (1622)
  7. Business (1434)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1241)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1227)
  11. Fibre Optic (1064)
  12. 4G (1057)
  13. Wireless Internet (1021)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1015)
  15. Virgin Media (1006)
  16. EE (697)
  17. Vodafone (669)
  18. Sky Broadband (668)
  19. TalkTalk (663)
  20. 5G (517)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules