Sponsored Links

Isp

NicK

Hi, i have been with NTL/Virgin Media for some time now. Since there take over.... well you prob already no what im gonna say so i will save you the time lol. Since they have put this traffic managment system into effect i cant stream vids, online gaming or even surf the web at a decent speed. I also have there 10MB package because i got it for gaming but know i cant use it as im getting loads of packet loss and really high pings. Could any of you guys reco me a GOOD isp for gaming? i was thinking about going with BT.

Thanks in advance :)

That's a tough one, BT is usually reasonable for pings, Nildram aren't bad, I've heard Names.co.uk and perhaps Fast.co.uk can be ok too. Hopefully those with active experience on some more providers can give additional suggestions.

Just remember to avoid budget ISP’s if you’re a gamer, they’re more likely to suffer packet loss. Likewise, as I’m sure you’re aware, it can be best to avoid providers that make more general use of traffic management/shaping technology.

I also have a friend on Bulldog and to my sheer disbelief he seems to always get pings of around 20 to 30ms.

That's a tough one, BT is usually reasonable for pings, Nildram aren't bad, I've heard Names.co.uk and perhaps Fast.co.uk can be ok too. Hopefully those with active experience on some more providers can give additional suggestions.

I've seen quite a few complaints in recent months about poor pings on names.co, eg:- http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showfla...2986298&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

From what I read it seems to be down to which central the customer is put on, although they have a central on order which will hopefully sort it out.

Avoid AOL, although I get excellent pings (13ms or so) on my fixed rate connection, I've read when they upgrade you to an adsl max product, they enable interleaving by default and support usually won't deactivate it, which adds 20ms or so to ping times :(

Sponsored Links
Im with NDO/Namesco..

Play online no probs..decent pings to UK..Dutch..servers..been farther afield with no probs either.

The poor ping issue seem related to BB Max on Namesco, the 'upto' packages..some have reported peak time probs too..but i can only speak for myself..and i've been fine. 2Mb fixed.

:)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules