Sponsored Links

ISPreview Site Service Status Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
08/07/2019

We've had quite a lot of spammers hitting our forum over the past week. This sort of thing tends to be a game of whack-a-mole and so I've had to impose a few extra filters, such as on post length and title length, which will help to keep it manageable. Legitimate posts will almost never run into these but do let me know if they affect you, thanks.

22/08/2019

Just wanted to apologise to desktop users of the site. If you're looking at the front page today then for some reason Google's ad system has decided to ignore our usual height restrictions and made their banner above the main news way too high. I like to keep ads unobtrusive and this goes against our policy.

I saw a similar problem on mobile versions of the site a month back and Google usually fixes it after a few days. Certainly they should not be interfering with the style code of external sites, which is what they're currently doing.

02/03/2020

I haven't had a chance to do one of these updates in awhile, due partly to a family member falling seriously ill (caused quite a big disruption from late Nov 2019 to late Feb 2020) and all the usual content/development work taking priority.

Otherwise a few of the changes made over the past few months include moving the server to the latest PHP 7.4 release (had some bugs to fix but all seems to be working well now), removing third-party java based social media sharing buttons on news articles / pages and replacing those with direct links (faster and no privacy concerns but less feedback for users) and various upgrades/bug patches to site systems (e.g. forum upgrades etc.).

We've also continued to develop our new reader ISP reviews system. The latest feature addition has been a new sitemap feature and rich snippets (this is really just for Google's benefit). We've also added an automated Right-to-Reply system so that we can assign official representatives to ISPs, which enables them to post a response to reviews without me needing to do it manually. Several ISPs have helped to test this and as a result we've already fixed a couple of bugs.

Going forward I'm quietly developing a new system, which I don't want to talk about just yet as it's far too early. Otherwise the main focus, aside from the usual content work, is likely to be on updating some aspects of ISPreview's style for desktop users. The layout of the site for desktop users (especially the front page) does the job but we haven't changed it much in a long time and I want to take advantage of higher resolution displays a bit more.

26/06/2020

With any luck nobody noticed, but this week ISPreview.co.uk upgraded our web server to something that delivers a performance jump of 70-100% over the previous setup. We actually ended up with a more powerful system than I ordered (a quirk on the supply side that favoured us) and so can't complain :) .

The old server has done a good job since 2016 but it was time for something more powerful to help with growing traffic and to keep everything smooth. Thankfully most of the migration was automated and everything is now live, seemingly without any obvious problems.

19/07/2023

I haven't done one of these for a while, mainly because I had to put some projects on hold as all my time was being taken up with content (news) work - due in no small part to the mass of alternative networks we now have to cover.

However, I did just want to apologise if anybody comes across some bugs on the site, particularly over the past few weeks. I'm currently re-doing some old code, partly to ensure the site can move to the latest PHP 8.2 framework, and needless to say that jumping from PHP 8.1 to 8.2 has produced more bugs than I'd usually expect. Including some particularly tedious ones that only show up under edge case conditions.

I'm getting close to having them all whacked now, but if you do click something somewhere and find it errors out or simply doesn't work.. well, now you know why. One of these days, the PHP creators might remember to focus on compatibility and stability of code, rather than breaking key things with every new release.

27/10/2023

Just a small update to say that PHP 8.2 has now been enabled across the server today, albeit somewhat of a live public test. I've whacked almost all the bugs, although one system is still waiting on the original author to release a patch. But none of the related errors will break the site and have simply been hidden.

So if you do see any errors over the next 24 hours or so, then that's likely to be the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules