Sponsored

ISPreviews Windows Vista Performance Tips

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Windows 7 is at least looking good given that it's not even out of beta yet, here's to hoping they get that one right.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
@ Orangehippo.

I can safely say the the Amiga A500 had a better OS than Vista !!!!

orangehippo

IMO, Vista offers nothing more than XP, but required greater system resources to do even the most basic things. Vista does look marginally better, even if (like me) you switch off the Aero interface.

Unfortunately, XP will be killed off fairly soon, so there won't be security patches etc for much longer.
really? i like xp. i agree, vista does look better. but i like XP, more user-friendly.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Actually, M$ DAREN'T kill off XP too quickly, most Business customers refuse to use Vista, and they do NOT want to upset them.

When reading M$ figures for copies of Vista sold, please remember that for every business copy (and retail copies as well, in some countries), they have to also supply a copy of XP to allow the buyer to "upgrade" from Vista.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Vista isn't bad, once you've disabled half of its new features, though I still can't fully figure out why it needs so much physical memory just to run a normal non-Aero desktop.. even without its caching features and other bits enabled. Using 700MB when nothing is open? Why.

Vista's biggest bug though remains file copying, specifically the dialup like speeds that can ensure when you have thousands of tiny files to move from one drive to another. It's even worse if you try to shift stuff onto a USB Stick. What would take 3mins on XP needs about 18 with Vista, they really need to fix that.

I must have like 100,000 small files related to web design work and online applications (PHP etc.). Try backing that up on Vista SP1 once a week, takes a millennium compared to XP’s few minutes. So to save 70% of the time I boot into XP, do the backup and then boot back into Vista :).

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I have been using vista sp2beta not too bad a few crashes seem opera might need tweaking but i now backup once a month :)

Davidz

Casual Member
Don't talk to me about Vista updates

The thing with Vista is you just don't feel in control, it's always doing something or other which drives you mad.

Updates, what on earth is Microsoft doing, gigabytes of updates - plain daft, why didn't they design it right in the first place?

Nor sure I agree on the Windows defender removal though with a good AV package.

I worked in IT for many years and came to the conclusion that 'after the horse has bolted' software is not necessary or needed with basic common sense.

I would choose a registry locker over AV software any day which is the main reason for using Vista, that said I am considering going back to XP Pro - it's just so nice to use in comparison to Vista.

Having lost touch with IT stuff I am a bit out of date on what's what, could you recommend a good registry locker? I used to use Spybot but unsure if that's still the best?

Many thanks,

David

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I'd go to Win7 rather than back on to XP and skip Vista where possible. Win7 is pretty good.

Davidz

Casual Member
Is it update hungry?

My lappy is only 18 months old yet needs nearly a gig of updates after a clean install :mad:

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2768)
  2. FTTP (2746)
  3. FTTC (1783)
  4. Building Digital UK (1740)
  5. Politics (1662)
  6. Openreach (1619)
  7. Business (1429)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1221)
  11. Fibre Optic (1062)
  12. 4G (1052)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1014)
  15. Virgin Media (1004)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (666)
  19. TalkTalk (661)
  20. 5G (514)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules