Sponsored Links

Issues past few days?

Apparently Vispa have removed their forum so I can't ask this there. (I wonder why this is too.)

Is anyone having any lag related issues in gaming recently?
Past couple of days I've been having major lag spikes which is making gaming a big problem. I used to have this issue some years back and while vispa has never given me a good connection (annoyingly high pings) I've managed to deal with it but when I get lagspikes that freezes gameplay it makes it practically unplayable. I also get it on websites too with some pages (on all websites) taking a while to change and to need a refresh sometimes to get it going again.
Also my connection is dropping completely randomly along with all of this.

I havent been able to log into Vispa forums for months, it keeps saying my username and password are wrong (and this after I had them reset).

I suspect someone hacked the forum, the last few weeks, when checking my usage (which is also wrong, but I have given up complaining about it), I have noticed that every posting has been some form of spam.

Robo,

Some of that could be down to an incorrect MTU setting on your router, which should ideally be set to match your ISP. MTU values are normally between 1400 and 1500, so it may be worth asking your ISP what their default MTU is for your specific line and then adjusting your router accordingly (the MTU setting should be there somewhere, you might need to hunt for it).

Otherwise you might have a problem on your line, which would show up if you posted your router stats (attenuation, noise margin etc.). Just paste them in and we might be able to spot a problem.

Also, when you identify a website or server that has problems then why not try running a tracerout. This maps the server hops between your connection and the website/server, which can sometimes show up any routing problems. One way to do this is to open your Windows Command Prompt from 'Accessories' (assuming you have MS Windows) and type something like this:

tracert ispreview.co.uk

Paste the result.

PS - Has Vispa actually said what happened to their forum?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Apparently Vispa have removed their forum so I can't ask this there. (I wonder why this is too.)

We haven't removed our forums, we were just inundated with spam, so to combat this have stopped any posts (for the time being), while we clean it up, and set a pre-authorisation to forum posts to stop the unnecessary spam. We will have this back up and running soon....

Anyway, onto to your issue.......

After taking a look at your account, and verifying with our radius server, we can see lots of disconnections recently on your connection. However, all of these disconnections have been a result of 'User-Request'.

A User-Request termination code means the termination request came from the router, which dialled into our radius server, and requested that the session terminated. Basically, as if the user hit the 'disconnect' button on their router. With the amount of disconnects, and the frequency of them, we know that they certainly weren't 'user' requests, but this does not mean that they did not come from your router. It could be that the router is malfunctioning, or local interference is affecting the internal connection either being transmitted down the telephone line through faulty internal wiring, or frequencies affecting the wireless signal, which is causing the router to disconnect.

The issue described above could also be the reason for your high latency and pings.....

However, before trying the below, try setting your router's MTU setting to 1432 bytes and the modulation to G.Dmt. If either of these make no difference, then complete the following steps:

Try your router directly in your 'test' socket (located behind the front cover of your master BT telephone socket), to rule out any local interference to the router. Also, try using an ethernet cable (if using wireless) or an alternative ethernet cable (if using ethernet) and see how the connection goes . If it seems more stable then one step at a time, relocat your router to where it was before and go back to your previous connection (ethernet or wireless), again if the connection seemed stable on one connection, but not another, then it is internal wiring/cabling that is causing this issue.

However, if none of the above work, then try restoring your router to factory defaults, this can be done be either accessing your router's setup interface using it's IP address, or by holding the 'reset' button (usually a small 'pin sized' hole) found on the back of your router. This will remove any firmware upgrade that may have occurred, and any settings you have previously entered (including wireless security) so will need to be reconfigured to allow internet connection. If this still fails after resetting your router, then it may be that your router has obtained a fault, and the only way to determine this is to use an alternative.

If you try these, and you still are having issues, contact our support team who can investigate further on your behalf.

As I siad I had more issues than usual starting thursday night and that still hasn't stopped.
I've changed those router settings you mentioned and they've made no difference (Maybe even made it worse?). I've done all thsoe steps you said in the past for my usual connection issues, I've had them for this router, my previous router and even when I didn't have a router.

Just forget I even made the topic, I wanted to know if there was any kind of issues starting over the past few days to make my connection even worse than usual (which quite obviously is worse than usual as I use it), and all I get is the typical handwavy "everything is fine we never have problems check your router response" from support I always get.
I'll just wait until it goes back to its usual slow speed without the lagspikes I guess.

Robojoe

If you post your router stats we might spot the problem and give you an idea of what to report to the ISP, the stats need to cover the sync up and down SNR ATT plus errors on the line.

This information helps to spot if the problem is PSTN or broadband related.

How do I find those stats? I don't really understand any of that, sorry :/

The problem is I've been getting these large lagspikes and a higher general ping for the past week or so. So I thought maybe something was wrong or changed, but apparently not (as always). I used to get it like this in the past alot but generally don't get large lagspikes that makes games very difficult to play (I do however have a very slow connection plus a high ping at the best of times anyway, but I've learned to live with that).

I've had BT engineers out and changed my computer and router various times over the few years I've been with Vispa, I'm sure its either a problemw ith my exchange somehow or with Vispa (which is why I made this topic as things were worse than usual so I was thinking maybe there weas some more issues at Vispa, but as always nothing is ever wrong there).

I'm sure that before I moved to Vispa I had a decent enough very stable connection but the ISP I was on went bankrupt or something. Plus really, Vispa is one of the "best" ISPs I can actually get in this rural area and I'm worried about the cost and effort of changing ISPs if I get the same issues, even though I'm sure I used to get better on that old ISP.

I dislike complaining all the time, as I know some people are perfectly fine on Vispa, yet others have had similar issues (just like all ISPs), I'm just pretty tired of it all being blamed on something here like my router or my socket or whatever when over time and tests its shown not to be that.

Sponsored Links
So yesterday afternoon and night from approx 17:30 to now 03:30 my internet connection has been completely offline and my router has been unable to connect to the internet. The router internet status light was red and no matter how much I mashed the connect button button in the router status it wouldn't go online, I tried turning off the router multiple times and whatnot but no luck.

Something is definitely wrong here with my connection being offline all this time.

Also the service status line is pretty awful, I'd telephone in and hear "Welcome to Vispa" and then the call with disconnect without allowing me to hear any kind of status.

Last edited:
Robo,

The connection stats can be found by accessing your router from a web browser via its gateway IP (usually pasted in the router manual or on the back of the router, it'll be something like this "http://192.168.0.1"). The manual should have the default login and password for your router, unless it's ISP supplied then they may have set something different. The gateway [IPv4 Default Gateway] IP can also be found under MS Windows by examining the connection details/properties/status of your network connection.

The Router admin interface is a bit like a website, with sections and lots of settings that you can change. It's often a matter of looking for "Connection Status" or something like that. You can usually find the line Attenuation and Noise Margin readings under there. Just click around until you find it.

I think this is what you what:
AIs8T.jpg

ALL these numbers change every time the connection drops/restarts though. I'll get another picture if I can during a lagspike.

I got this back from Vispa support about my lack of internet yesterday:

Hi Joe,

There was an BT Wholesale network outage in one of their core nodes (reading / slough area) last night. This ran between approx 5.30pm - 3.20am & took thousands of users in that area off the air.

It was actually the ISP's that notified BT that they had a problem with their network. To date there has been no official notifications from BT as to the outage or what caused it.
Kind Regards

I'm not in slough/reading though which is confusing (I'm in Cornwall) so I don't really know why it affected me but I guess it did.

Edit:
I'm still having very large lagspikes plus my general ping is higher than usual. As I said this has only been occuring the past week or so again with nothing being changed my end.

edit2: did the stat thing say anything useful?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah those are the right stats.

Hmm your stats don't look too abnormal, although with an attenuation of 55.5db I'm quite surprised that the line's "connection speed" has managed to pull off 4Mbps, yet the upstream is just 448Kbps. Did you take Vispa's advice and switch to G.DMT ADSL modulation and did you also update your MTU value as the rep suggested?

On a 55db line I'd expect a profile speed reading of around 3.5Mbps on an ADSL2+ line or 3Mbps (3000Kbps) on an ADSL link, while real-world performance would normally be about 20% lower than both. Sometimes routers and ISPs end up pushing the line faster than it can go, which can cause instability, although your noise margin isn't too bad. One indication of line stability problems can come if your downstream SNR fluctuates dramatically between lower and medium values (e.g. occasionally jumping from 5 to 8 etc.).

You might find that this article gives you a few other things to consider and try:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/adsltips/

I'm not in slough/reading though which is confusing (I'm in Cornwall) so I don't really know why it affected me but I guess it did.

Just to let you know, the outage was a BT core network node, so was affecting anybody whose ADSL connection was routing through there (this node is used to pass on the connection to the ISP for authentication), and that can include anyone in the whole southern region, not just local to the outage, which is why you were affected.

OK so why has that made my connection worse the past week? Are BT fixing it? Will being routed somewhere else fix my connection?
e: more accurately a higher ping & lagspikes.

E:
Yes Mark.J I did what he asked.
It makes no difference of course, I looked through the page you linked and the stuff with changing the socket and whatnoa a BT engineer has done. As I've said I've had multiple routers and computers and poeple looking at this from my end, but nothigng changes my slow speed.
Where you say I pulled off 4mbps, thats random. Anytime the connection drops it goes from a random number between 3500-4500. The attentuations changes also.

What my issues is NOW is the higher ping and lagspikes which has started the past weke or so making online gaming very difficult (which was annoying to beginw ith due to the slowness of the overall connection).

Last edited:
Been in contact with Vispa support again, they've requesed that Itnerleaving is removed from my line which can apparently improve pings and whatnot, so hopefully this will help me!

Sponsored Links
A fluctuation between 3500-4500 wouldn't be too unusual, the stats do change slightly when you reconnect. The question is usually by how much.

From the picture you posted it looks alot like you have a NetGear router, which means that you could probably make use of Routerstats to see how your noise margin is changing and whether or not there are any spikes that could cause connection or latency problems occuring on your line.

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstatslite

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules