Sponsored Links

Issues with Property Director - Getting Hyperoptic

james2004k

Casual Member
I've been trying to get Hyperoptic to service the estate I live on (40 flats).
Hyperoptic are now at a stage were they would like to come do a survey and install (assuming cost etc), they have enough people interested to install.

Now comes the problem, the director of the management company has explicitly said it's low priority and I am the only one enquiring about it.

Although I have sent various articles notifying about the possible impact of slow broadband on property prices.

We can only receive broadband via BT (~50 Mbps) but am paying £38.99 for the priviledge.

Is there any advice that can be given that could help in this matter? Ideally something legal as he would not be able to say no to it.

Last year's budget included two consultations on new rules that are designed to tackle precisely this sort of problem, but those have yet to be implemented:

In the meantime the best advice is to print off some notices and slip them under as many doors in your building as possible, with the goal being of getting more people to support your efforts. Failing that most commercial apartment buildings usually have residents meetings every few months, which is another opportunity.

Last year's budget included two consultations on new rules that are designed to tackle precisely this sort of problem, but those have yet to be implemented:

In the meantime the best advice is to print off some notices and slip them under as many doors in your building as possible, with the goal being of getting more people to support your efforts. Failing that most commercial apartment buildings usually have residents meetings every few months, which is another opportunity.

Thank you. Hopefully (but unlikely) this will be done soon. As I am growing tired of trying to get it through his head about it.

I have already canvassed the estate a number of times. Even so putting my email address on the leaflet if anyone wanted to ask me any questions.

Am I right in thinking although the title read "Proposals for New Build Homes and Tenants (Both Consultations)" being a leaseholder, I am also technically a Tenant?

Sponsored Links
Yes I believe you'd be considered a tenant and further details on the related consultation for that one can be found here:

Yes I believe you'd be considered a tenant and further details on the related consultation for that one can be found here:

Thank you again Mark.J

Hopefully in the 2019 budget there will be an announcement.

I've gone and messaged Margot James (Minister for Culture, Communications and Creative Industries) to see if she will be able to help or provide advice on the matter.

We can only receive broadband via BT (~50 Mbps) but am paying £38.99 for the priviledge.
I'm assuming you're currently on FTTC with BT. If TalkTalk & Sky have unbundled your exchange - which they should have if you're not in a rural area - they can also supply you with FTTC services but running on their own networks. TalkTalk's Up To 40/10 service is £20 per month (incl line rental) and their 'Up to' 80/20 service is just £2-£3 more per month. That's quite a saving from £39 per month....

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming you're currently on FTTC with BT. If TalkTalk & Sky have unbundled your exchange - which they should have if you're not in a rural area - they can also supply you with FTTC services but running on their own networks. TalkTalk's Up To 40/10 service is £20 per month (incl line rental) and their 'Up to' 80/20 service is just £2-£3 more per month. That's quite a saving from £39 per month....

Hi Baby_frogmella,

I could get it lower but would mean being stuck in a 18 month contract, as the director is a tad volatile, it could be a matter of months before he signs it off or a year. Either way I would be stuck in a contract.

No but then the Spring Statement 2019 is now a fiscal non-event, the main budget comes at the end of the year. However I suspect we'll get an update on this toward late spring/summer.

Still having the same issues as before. The Directors are now claiming there is outstanding work to be completed on the estate. Before they will entertain the upgrade...

Sponsored Links
Still having the same issues as before. The Directors are now claiming there is outstanding work to be completed on the estate. Before they will entertain the upgrade...

I too tried to get Hyperoptic for my building - was a champion for the project and got the number of people to sign up as interested, then nothing. Every time I contacted them they were waiting for permission if indeed they even bothered to respond, but when i contacted the landlords they had never heard anything from them!

Its a waste of time in my opinion, and I believe they have many people interested and not enough capital to roll out to everyone. So if there is even a slight hiccup with getting permission or not a perfect roll out for them they will just not bother.

I am sure there are some that get lucky and finally get it installed. But I suspect you will still be waiting in years to come. Good luck. Personally I have my sights set on 5G.

I too tried to get Hyperoptic for my building - was a champion for the project and got the number of people to sign up as interested, then nothing. Every time I contacted them they were waiting for permission if indeed they even bothered to respond, but when i contacted the landlords they had never heard anything from them!

Its a waste of time in my opinion, and I believe they have many people interested and not enough capital to roll out to everyone. So if there is even a slight hiccup with getting permission or not a perfect roll out for them they will just not bother.

I am sure there are some that get lucky and finally get it installed. But I suspect you will still be waiting in years to come. Good luck. Personally I have my sights set on 5G.

Have you contacted the project managers at Hyperoptic?

Does sound like one of them is pulling a fast one. I would suspect it to be the landlord.

Hyperoptic should be able to give you the contact details for the project managers. You could then copy them into the same email so there is no confusion about email addresses.

Have you contacted the project managers at Hyperoptic?

October 2015. They e-mailed me saying

"I have been told we will be getting approval to proceed from the freeholder very shortly which is great news and there are no dramas with the installation-so happy days. We do need another 7 people to register their interest- so once we can hit this gate we can then look to pencil installation dates."

Which as champion, I did. I then emailed the "Business Development Executive" one Joshua Gould on 9th of March 2016. No reply. Sent it again 29th of March saying I had not received a reply. 5th of April I got a reply.

"From a resident interest perspective we’re ready to go ahead however we’re still awaiting approval from the freeholder before we can proceed. We’re hoping we should have this soon but we’ll keep in touch with the residents and provide updates when we know more."

No reply to my reply, which specifically asked who they had been in contact with. No further contact till over a year later.

August 2017. An e-mail from them

"We’re still in discussions with your building to bring UK’s fastest broadband service to your development. The more residents that register interest, the easier it will be to negotiate with your building. We will be able to demonstrate higher demand for a full fibre installation at Foster."

To which I declined, saying I thought this was a scam and a waste of time. They replied saying "We would like to investigate this further if you would let us. We will contact Joshua and make sure someone gets back to you regarding this issue."

He never did, and that was the last I heard.

Another 2 year later, nothings happened and neither has it happened in the other buildings which are managed by different companies and I assume have their own champions.

They have a map on their site, that shows lots of buildings still "registering interest" as I said before, I believe they do not have the capital to roll out everywhere so will focus on the easiest and most lucrative buildings.

Its great if it happens, but I would not rely on them, as they can barely reply to an e-mail.

Hi James. We could sort this out for you and it likely would not cost the property management company anything.
If you want to have a chat then drop me an email on oliver.thomas@britishfibrenetworks.co.uk

Thanks!
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

As per our site rules, you need to contact me before posting so that we can confirm your identity as an ISP representative on the forum.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules