Sponsored Links

Landline installation

Hi,
Does anyone know if there's a telephone provider who will install a landline without having to sign up for a minimum term calls or broadband package. We've got a house that we intend to put up[ for rent and it has never had a landline.
Thanks
Al

Aquiss have monthly contracts for landline, you do not need to take broadband with the phone line. If I remeber coerrectly there is a install fee but look at their website for more details. aquiss.net

Sponsored Links
The Post Office will also do a home phone only service for £15 inc. VAT per month, although it attaches free weekend calls. ICUK also do one for about £12 that doesn't attach any free calls. Just be aware that new line install fees can vary from a few pounds and up to over £100.

The Now TV adverts say, very specifically, "all without a contract" [=commitment]

He's not after broadband or TV.

Aquiss have monthly contracts for landline, you do not need to take broadband with the phone line. If I remeber coerrectly there is a install fee but look at their website for more details. aquiss.net

When I had Aquiss install my line, the fee was £60, but there was a line contract of 12 or 18 months; this works out far cheaper than what BT charge (£150-£180 install and £20 per month v £13 per month with Aquiss).
There was no requirement to take an internet or telephone service with them though.

I would leave it up to whoever wants to rent the property, put it in the contract that you will pay for the install with whoever they want to sign up for; that way you only have to pay the install fee, and not any rental fees, or cancellation fees.

I am currently refurb'ing a rental for my sister; the tenants burnt candles in every room for the whole time they have been in there; every wall and ceiling has a liberal coating of smoke and tar embedded into the paintwork - which they hastily over-painted before moving out - so of course, their paint is now falling off the wall if you so much as touch it.

I had a 2 week turnaround planned, yet 3 weeks in and I havent finished the first two rooms yet.

Sponsored Links
Hi Martin, maybe I am in error, but I thought I remembered correctly that for new line installs there is a 12 month minimum.

Apologies if I am wrong; it was a few years ago that you rescued me from the clutches of Vispa.

From what I remember it has always been monthly for PSTN but 12 months for broadband perhaps you mixed it up or thought the 12 months was for both.

When I had Aquiss install my line, the fee was £60, but there was a line contract of 12 or 18 months; this works out far cheaper than what BT charge (£150-£180 install and £20 per month v £13 per month with Aquiss).
There was no requirement to take an internet or telephone service with them though.

I would leave it up to whoever wants to rent the property, put it in the contract that you will pay for the install with whoever they want to sign up for; that way you only have to pay the install fee, and not any rental fees, or cancellation fees.

I am currently refurb'ing a rental for my sister; the tenants burnt candles in every room for the whole time they have been in there; every wall and ceiling has a liberal coating of smoke and tar embedded into the paintwork - which they hastily over-painted before moving out - so of course, their paint is now falling off the wall if you so much as touch it.

I had a 2 week turnaround planned, yet 3 weeks in and I havent finished the first two rooms yet.

Another anti BT post in it's own way, please provide me the information you've stated because as far as I can see, it's a £65 install..

On another note, why would a company subsidise an install cost and not have you committed into a contract..

Sponsored Links
Another anti BT post in it's own way, please provide me the information you've stated because as far as I can see, it's a £65 install..

On another note, why would a company subsidise an install cost and not have you committed into a contract..

£65 is the charge to activate an existing line (as I understand it).

For a brand new line from the cabinet to my house, OpenReach charged (as of a few years back), £50 +VAT. BT Retail were quoting me £150 +VAT, so a £100 free profit for them.

Aquiss passed on the OpenReach charge, but didnt add so much as a penny to it.

Obviously, every house is different, you might be 2 miles from the nearest cabinet, and on the wrong side of a major river. I used to know someone living within Worcester City boundaries who was quoted ~ £50,000 to get a phone line install, due to the very awkward location of their house, and the need to string it across the river Severn.
(This was about 30 years ago, when £50,000 was a lot of money).

A mains electric supply was quoted at nearer £1/2 million; to this day the house is powered by a diesel generator, and has no phone line.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules