Sponsored

LCP down CHAP authentication failed

Paul969

Casual Member
Hey i just joined this forum advised by my brother. I am with Fast.co.uk and they are very good but i have a problem. Basically I have been with fast 4 for a while and i was getting dial up speeds. 0.12mb's I was also loosing connection very often and sometimes when i turned my router on it would not find even the DSL connection. Sometimes when it did the internet sign would just come up red. I am using a netgear DG834 router. Finally i left fast 4 because i wanted a change and as soon as i put in my login and other details in for Fast i got a connection of 5.5mb. It remained around that speed all day untill i went to bed and woke up the next morning and did a speed test. It came up with that same old speed 0.12 again.

I have rung Fast many times and they have been helpful giving me things to try but nothing seems to work. I had BT come out and look at my phone line, he did numerous checks and the line came up fine. I tried replacing the phone cable, tried a different router tried a different filter and the problem persists. Finally i went into the router logs and it came up with a protocol failure. It read something like 'LCP is allowed to come up, Initialize LCP, LCP down, CHAP Authentication failed'. It would repeat this till it connected after a long time and when it does i get that same dial up speed connection.

Please if anyone can help i would be greatfull
Thanks,
Paul

fast

ISP Rep
Hi Paul,

"CHAP Authentication failed" normally means a username/password error, but from memory of speaking to you there were no failed login attempts at our side which suggests it could be either the router using a wrong username at first, or an exchange issue.

I can't remember the exact outcome of call for this one, but if you are still having a problem we need to hear from you :)

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
If you have a netgear router then this might help you find it.
http://myreader.co.uk/message/522264.aspx

I would definitely reboot router put user name and password in again check you are putting the right one in if fails reset router to factory default and restart doing the user name/password.

Paul969

Casual Member
Hi Paul,

"CHAP Authentication failed" normally means a username/password error, but from memory of speaking to you there were no failed login attempts at our side which suggests it could be either the router using a wrong username at first, or an exchange issue.

I can't remember the exact outcome of call for this one, but if you are still having a problem we need to hear from you :)
Yeah dude thanks for your help so far. I know that chap is a challenge handshake protocol so i imagined it would be login details. However the link control protocol is abit harder to work around. the LCP is a protocol that is carried out before the CHAP. So something is stopping me even getting to the login stage. I just wish i could find out what.

I have done some research into it and i have found out what the lcp does.
The LCP protocol:

* checks the identity of the linked device and either accepts or rejects the peer device
* determines the acceptable packet size for transmission
* searches for errors in configuration
* can terminate the link if requirements exceed the parameters
So my problem could be a number of things. Its very unspecific.

alas.. I will give you another ring soon.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hmmm well that would at least explain the poor speeds, if sometimes the connection actually connects and most others it fails - rinse and repeat a lot, then that will make the broadband connection think you have an unstable line and drop your speed to compensate until stability returns.

If this happens within the first week or two, while a line is trying to test your connection for the best speed, then it can cause serious performance problems; especially on ADSL MAX based 8Mbps services. Then again it could be another factor that is causing your line to disconnect and the router might merely be reconnecting faster than the authentication server is ready for it.

On the other hand you state there have been a lot of these before it reconnects and you also tried a different router. It seems you have had this problem between two completely separate ISPs so I would be inclined to rule the ISP itself out. Out of interest, what do your router stats look like (line attenuation, noise margin etc.)?

To date, as kits pointed out above, I am only familiar with problems like this occurring on bad or faulty router firmware, but you have already tried a different one with the same result. To further confuse matters Fast.co.uk appears not to have noticed any failed login attempts. I guess we end up back at BT’s exchange.

I suggest you have a read through our ADSL Connection Tips article, paying special attention to BT’s test logins and whether you get the same problem with those?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/adsltips/

fast

ISP Rep
To further confuse matters Fast.co.uk appears not to have noticed any failed login attempts. I guess we end up back at BT’s exchange.
Yup, no failed logins hitting our radius!

Paul - please get in touch ASAP so that we can continue to help you with this :)

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
For what it's worth, netgear routers have a PPP debug mode, which logs the radius's CHAP challenge and the router's response messages (among other stuff) to a file. It is activated with the following url (the PPP connection will be dropped and restarted):-

http://192.168.0.1/?todo=ppp_debug

And this URL to view the PPP debug log.

http://192.168.0.1/ppp_log

Rebooting clears debug mode (otherwise over a number of days this file may grow so big that it crashes the router)

Paul969

Casual Member
:crap: Tried so many things now. I rang fast again today and spoke to Rob, He explained to me that next time my connection goes down I am to ring up and they will ring BT and give all details. Good luck with that i say!

I am getting a new router tomorrow and it will be wireless so i do not have to worry about length of phone cable to the router. I realize this is very unlikely to resolve the problem but i got it anyway.

Starting to give up hope of ever resolving this problem. :hrmph:

fast

ISP Rep
Hi Paul,

If you work with us, and continue to let us help you then we'll continue until your problem is fixed :)

Paul969

Casual Member
Hi Paul,

If you work with us, and continue to let us help you then we'll continue until your problem is fixed :)
Yeah man i wont stop trying. Im pretty sure its a hardware problem. I will ring again tomorrow when my router cant find the connection. Then as Rob said get BT to do further investigation

Paul969

Casual Member
*Update* From last night around 1am my router decided to give me a 4.5mb connection. It still seems to be fine today. I keep kidding myself that the problem is sorted but as soon as i start to relax it will let me down again.

I will keep you posted as soon as it drops again. :shrug:

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2196)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1606)
  5. Politics (1425)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1072)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1037)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (579)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (412)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules