Sponsored Links

Leased line prices

Interesting chat with TalkTalk. £275 for 100/100 leased line and no install charge. This is incredibly cheap and has me wondering what quotes others have gotten. There's a similar thread on thinkbroadband but well, i find their forum layout horrible.

Here are some others i've had (all 100/100 except the FTTPoD quote and yes it's not a leased line just throwing it in for comparison)

FluidOne : £300 a month with £0 install (36 months)
BT: £350 a month, £1,250 install charge (36 months)
TalkTalk: £275 , £0 install (36 months) .. same monthly with £1875 install charge (12 months)
Cerberus FTTPoD: £100 month with £8,700 install !!! (36 months)
Virgin Media DIA 100Mbit : £299, £0 install (36 months)

So far, talk talk are the winners here. Let's see who can beat them.

What does that include is it just the line as in a wires only service or does it include a managed router as well?

Leased lines have come down a lot in price but one thing to consider is if you only get a 100 meg tail and need more bandwidth within the contract (bandwidth needs can change a lot in 3 years) then you wont be able to re-grade it without having a new 1 gig and paying off the rest of the contract on the existing line.

I think you'll find it difficult to compare leased line quotes correctly because every premises will be in a different location, with different challenges to consider in the build phase. On top of that these are desktop quotes and the final post-survey quote should deliver a more accurate costing, which may go up or down.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mark. I usually find the monthly price is the same or very similar for most people, but installation charges are what seem to vary. Of course you probably know better than I on the subject and I only have anecdotal evidence from people I know that have enquired. I'm just interested to see what others have been quoted for even if it cannot be directly compared as you say.

@ManOfMeans These quotes are all "wires only" as I have no need for a managed router. Except in the FluidOne case where the sales person told me I have no option but to accept their managed router. I did not include the cost for that... which is £800!!! (Cisco, but they won't say which model)

Actually you may want to re-consider FTTPoD.

FTTPoD 330/30 over 12 months works out at £9900 incl monthly service charges.

Leased line with TT over 36 months also works out the same.....£9900. But its only 100 Mbps. Of course for the same amount as FTTPoD you get an extra 24 months service, however when you factor in a £2.5k gigabit voucher it could potentially work out cheaper to get FTTPoD installed. Don't forget that with FTTPoD, you are installing a pure fibre optic line for life, so ideal if its your forever home or business.

On the downside FTTPoD doesn't have the same SLA as a fibre leased line and the current 30 Mbps upload stinks of poo :(

FTTPoD carries a very expensive installation fee, everyone who asks for a quote will have to have the survey and the costs worked out to get the fibre in.

Yes FTTPoD does carry large installation costs but over the long term (say 20 years) it can work out signficantly cheaper especially if you have a forever home or business. The main selling point of FTTPoD is that it reverts to a native FTTP line after 12 months of service so you have a choice multiple FTTP providers who won't charge you an arm & a leg. Whereas with a leased line you are pretty much stuck with paying £100s per month for life and don't really have the same choice of providers such as FTTP.

Sponsored Links
In todays uncertainty any business would need to judge if paying approx £25,000 intall fee is worth the risk as in the words forever business or address could mean nothing. Property can get compulsary purchased, financial issues could cause some to move even though they never wanted to. There is never a certainty so looking at install costs I would say it was a risk to far. 20 years from now could have free install of FTTP.

@Kits
But the OP hasn't been quoted 25k for FTTPoD...he's been quoted 8.7k and when you throw in a 2.5k voucher, the potential cost of 6.2k isn't too bad for what is a long term investment.

Disclosure: I work in this industry, and am therefore biased....But....
I agree with "TheMatt" (OP) that prices on DIA (Dedicated Internet Access, a.k.a. "leased lines") are falling; plummeting in some areas. It's all thanks for OpenReach putting in more fibre nodes - these allow a plethora of ISPs to interconnect, and the shorter distance and reduced wholesale prices lately are bringing the wholesale costs down. I've seen prices at sub-£199 for 100 Mbps on 1 Gbps bearer.
FTTPoD: laughable - I can get an "initial" (free) quote from OpenReach for FTTPoD (you must pay £250 for a "real" survey quote, which admittedly often comes back with a cheaper price), and these initial quotes are a joke: £50k, £20k, £5k. £5k seems about the lowest average. OK, so if I get a quote for a DIA line (same tech - fibre) for a 300 Mbps on a 1Gbps bearer I can almost guarantee £1800 install to the same property. The monthly on an FTTPoD will come out at c.£135, compared to say £250 for an average 300 Mbps DIA line. Difference is, FTTPoD is asymmetrical, with a puny upload compared to the 300 Mbps upload of a DIA line. Support? 4 hour fix time SLAs on DIA line (industry norm). FTTPoD SLA? There isn't one.
A couple of years ago I salivated over the FTTPoD offerings, only to have my heart dashed to pieces by the ridiculous OpenReach quotes for install fees. (Let's not get confused with WBC FTTP - which is a stunning product with typically £0 install fee). I'd love to hear of someone - anyone - who's has a decent quote for FTTPoD install fees; anyone out there?

I paid £3700 for 330/30 Mbps FTTPoD (last year under old pricing model) with £300 per month rental on a 36 month min term. The cheapest leased line quote i got for a 300 Mbps service was £700 per month or £1300 per month for a 1 Gig line - both with zero install costs on a 3 year term. I suspect the eye watering leased line costs were down to my location in the Scottish Highlands.

Sponsored Links
Regardless of who you got to, FTTPoD will be deluvered by OR. Therefore the install costs will ve the same no matter who you go to.
If you put "FTTP checker" into google you'll find the people you'll need to talk to, but they will all use OR, and therefore the install cost will not differ greatly.
All roads lead to OR on FTTPoD I'm afraid.

Regardless of who you got to, FTTPoD will be deluvered by OR. Therefore the install costs will ve the same no matter who you go to.
If you put "FTTP checker" into google you'll find the people you'll need to talk to, but they will all use OR, and therefore the install cost will not differ greatly.
All roads lead to OR on FTTPoD I'm afraid.

Not strictly true. the OR cost may be the same, but BT already Double/Triple the OR line install cost when passing it on to the consumer; whereas a number of smaller ISPs pass it on at cost.
The same may be true of other OR install costs.

Late to the party, but it might be worth checking out a company called Optimity, they provide wireless leased lines in London so tend not to have the same lead times and costs as everyone else I spoke to. The only issue is they can only serve certain parts of London apparently

I know some months have passed but I thought I would register and put some info here about my research into leased lines.

I live just outside the M25 on the east side. We bought a new property here two years ago and are only served with ADSL which tops out at around 9mbps down with less that a 1mbps up.

I have tried to get a quote for a leased line a year ago but nothing was available. Recently something changed, probably because the new homes being built accross from my house all have FTTP. I am now able to order a leased line, but nothing else, no one even replies to my FTTPoD queries.

Prices I have gotten for a 100mbps leased line ranged from £205 to £470 excl vat. It is the wild west out there when trying to get a fair price on a leased line! My recommendation is to get at least 10 quotes. I think because they are selling to a "business" they try and extract massive profits. They really don't care if you are a sole trader.

Something interesting I found out, although not 100% sure if it is true is that a leased line, even although it is a fibre connection to your home is fundamentally different from consumer FTTP in that you can't purchase a consumer level service from a ISP later after your leased line contract ends without extra construction costs. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have gotten some conflicting info from the ppl I asked.

Sponsored Links
Something interesting I found out, although not 100% sure if it is true is that a leased line, even although it is a fibre connection to your home is fundamentally different from consumer FTTP in that you can't purchase a consumer level service from a ISP later after your leased line contract ends without extra construction costs. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have gotten some conflicting info from the ppl I asked.

A leased line as you say is just that, comes pure into your property basically uncontended, so grading of services is not needed. Our install charges on Leased Lines are free and are fully managed (so we supply hardware to site), so regardless you would not get charged extra construction costs. If you have never had a leased line before, then as a small business, we can also apply on your behalf for a voucher to reduce your monthly costs further.

PS: Leased line are not related to FTTP of FTTPoD (most providers won't touch FTTPoD atm).

Just a quick leased line primer:
  • Leased Lines are available at all UK postcodes including NI
  • Major city areas will have more network choice and lower costs than rural sites
  • They are uncontended and symmetrical with good SLA
  • Most are managed with an ISP router on site but Wires Only is also an option
  • The technology is unrelated to FTTP or FoD
  • Installation is usually free with a 3 year term but £2-3K for a 1 year term
  • Most circuits cost £200-600 p.m.
  • Most services use an Openreach tail for the "last mile" (except Virgin on-net)
  • The tail will run at 100Mb, 1 Gig or 10Gig
  • Tail speed is determined by the equipment at each end - the fibre itself is speed agnostic
  • There will be a site survey a couple of weeks after ordering
  • It will determine if there are any ECC (Excess Construction Charges)
  • If there are ECC the choice is to pay or cancel at zero cost
  • If there are no ECC the original order becomes absolute
  • Provisioning typically takes 2-4 months
  • The fibre will terminate on an NTE (ADVA for Openreach, Alcatel Lucent for Virgin)
  • The NTE will connect to the ISP router in a managed service
  • The next device is your Firewall
  • Most circuits come with a /29 subnet giving 5 usable IP addresses
  • Larger subnets are available if justified on a RIPE form
  • Good service providers offer real time traffic and latency stats
Hope that helps.
Barry Ashdown, LineBroker

Last edited:
I've removed the URL LineBroker as that turned the post into spam for a commercial website.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules