Sponsored

Leaving AOL

Muddles

I'm hopefully being connected this weekend to Plusnet, after being with AOL for over 10yrs.

As everyone else knows the service has gone rapidly down hill and now my connection is almost unusable, hanging, disconnecting. I thought it was just me but after reading several forums to my relief find it's not.

I moved house last October, informed AOL's moving house people, and after being at the new house with new telephone number for 6mths find my AOL subscription had gone up from the £9.99 I'd been paying for the last 5yrs to £14.99. When I rang AOL they told me because I'd moved house they'd cancelled my contract (I didn't have a contract) and given me a new 18mth contract which meant I paid £9.99 for 6mths and then £14.99 a month thereafter. All without my knowledge. They said they'd send emails stating that but they hadn't. I was very angry that they'd taken it upon themselves to cancel a non existent contract just because I moved house and then had the ordacity to put me on a new contract without telling me and increasing my payment to them each month.

Especially since the service is rubbish now.

So it'll be party time once I get shot of them once and for all. I was loyal to them for years, but not any more. They must be the worse ISP available at the moment, people are leaving them in hordes.

rogerdee51

Casual Member
AOL to plusnet

thats like jumping from the frying pan into the fire,
plusnet belongs to tiscali and everyone is leaving plusnet in there hordes,
best do some research, and think again. :eek:

you can find good research on this website.;)

Last edited:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Roger,

PlusNet does not belong to Tiscali, they are in fact owned by BT. I believe that some of their broadband lines use Tiscali's datastream product, although despite the name - that is a wholesale product for ISPs and should in no way be comparable to Tiscali's own retail services.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
Although Plusnet are not owned by Tiscali, they still have what is probably the most heavily traffic-managed network in the UK. That alone is enough to put me off... :hrmph:

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Roger,

PlusNet does not belong to Tiscali, they are in fact owned by BT. I believe that some of their broadband lines use Tiscali's datastream product, although despite the name - that is a wholesale product for ISPs and should in no way be comparable to Tiscali's own retail services.
I believe they also have some customers on Tiscali wholesale's LLU product, but since being bought by BT (and possibly longer), Plusnet stopped transferring customers to Tiscali Wholesale products.

Bures

Top Member
PlusNet

I have been with PlusNet since Jan08 and I cannot speak to highly of them.
Never had any problems with ADSL or billing, they get full marks from me.
Certainly nothing to do with BT.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
l tell you to something funny, l was asked to leave by AOL when they introduced the invisible 60GB cap, recently they posted me a letter asking for me to go back to them for a 18month contract where ld get a free laptop that isnt worth more than £100 >_<

laroc

Casual Member
I have been with PlusNet since Jan08 and I cannot speak to highly of them.
Never had any problems with ADSL or billing, they get full marks from me.
Certainly nothing to do with AOL.

laroc

Casual Member
Laroc wrote earlier Nothing to do with BT, should have read Nothing to do with AOL, sorry

Muddles

Well I moved to Plusnet because several people I know use them, and reckon they're very very good. The customer service is excellent.

I'm waiting for the switch over any day so will post my opinions on them then.

Thanks for replying people.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2510)
  2. FTTP (2198)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1426)
  6. Openreach (1418)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1074)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1038)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (907)
  14. 4G (899)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules