Sponsored Links

Leaving Virgin Media

My sister in law's husband has recently died & she has been looking to change her services from Virgin. When she rang them she asked about changing to a basic package (her husband had tv, 30gb broadband etc), and was told she would have to pay £40+ a month, the same as the current cost. The rep at Virgin was rather rude & offensive when she queried this, but I won't go into the detail.
I've suggested she goes elsewhere, but it will obviously have to be to adsl.

When I ditched VM cable a couple of years ago they would not allow me to take the telephone number with me. Is this still the case with them? I believe she was on Sky before VM so I imagine her tel number was moved across in the first place.

Thanks
YB

I would think the phone number would have to change because you would be changing to a BT landline. As opposed to cable with VM.

I moved my VM phone number over to BT line over 5 years ago.. It is possible just tell BT you wish to keep the same number.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the info, very useful & much appreciated. I'm inclined to steer her in the direction of Plusnet, which I think
would be useful for a "low end" user. I might also suggest my ISP(ICUK) who I'm well satisfied with. May be not the cheapest but a lot lower cost than VM and very reliable so far for me.

Thanks again

YB

She was in contact with a foreign call centre and, needless to say, had trouble understanding whatever mangled version of English was in use

My sister in law has been in touch with VM again & this time was able to speak to a rep with a brain, who has said that she should not have been told that she would have to continue paying at the old rate. She must have raised the issue of PlusNet as they offered to match them. I'm not sure whether or not she's taken it up, but I imagine that she will as a changeover is something extra she has to deal with which, obviously, she can do without at the moment.

Thanks for your help & replies

Sponsored Links
Too late now, but a word of caution about plusnet.

My parents house and mine are both on the same exchange; their house is about 300-400m nearer (along the same road), and it is 50 years newer, with new iPlates etc.

Plusnet tell them that congestion at the exchange means they can only get about 2MB (a suspiciously consistent 2MB over the last 3 years).

I am with Vispa, and get 6.5-7.5MB.

When the local cabinets were upgraded to 21CN I saw a mild speed boost in download speed, and a large increase in upload speed, they saw nothing either way, and STILL only get 2MB.

I leave the conclusions to you.

Part of the reason for that Captain might be because BT's line core estimate appears to factor in old performance data. I've noticed on several lines that the estimates seemed to be based more on what the previous connection got than what the line itself could potentially do today, which only changed after the line was re-trained or a 20CN to 21CN upgrade had taken place.

Anyone who gets less then $MPBS on BT's ADSL-max will see no increase or very little when moved to 21cn some can see a decrease due to the faster upload.

It is the way BT's outdated network over copper works..

Their house had no ADSL connection until after it was renovated 3 years ago, and at that time a new phone line was installed as the old one entered the property at a part of the building being demolished.
At the time, they installed the exact same (NetGear) router as I was using, and were getting better line stats than I was, partially due to my line being full of micro fractures from tree branch hits (I managed to get the line replaced eventually); yet even with that damaged line I was still pulling down 4.5-5MB.
I have played with their equipment (while they were away), and the best I ever managed was 2.2MB and the worst was 1.7MB (speedtest.net).
Various speed estimators say they should get 4+MB and I should get 5+MB

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules