Sponsored Links

Lebara WiFi Calling and 4G Calling (VoLTE) is now available

bulldog

ULTIMATE Member
Lebara.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wonder if it works on Pixels yet.
Did it not originally? I would have thought it would since they use Vodafone's IMS?

Did it not originally? I would have thought it would since they use Vodafone's IMS?

Listed:
Pixel 3, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 6a, Pixel 6 Pro as not working.

There's a patch to enable:

So if a volte patch works to enable what is the issue?

Code:
How does it work?
There is a checker method, ImsManager.isVolteEnabledByPlatform(Context), which determines if VoLTE is possible for your device-carrier combination(ref: googlesource.com). The abstract logic of that method is:

Check if persist.dbg.volte_avail_ovr System Property is true
If yes, return true
This is how voenabler works
Else continue
Check if device supports VoLTE
If not, return false
Else continue
Check if your carrier supports VoLTE
If not, return false
Else continue
Check if your carrier requires BGA-capable SIM for VoLTE
If not, return true
Else continue
Check if GBA bit is active at EF IST
If yes, return true
If not, return false
This patch alters the bolded logic, by force injecting config values as true regardless of carrier configuration.

Sponsored Links
Just to mention got this problem on partners Pixel 7a. Kind of assumed a new device like the Pixel 7a would work with Lebara and have all the latest carrier settings and config... but no. Lebara even sent an email saying it was enabled and to turn it on, but no settings are made available for VoLTE on the Pixel 7a with Lebara.

My own Xiaomi phone worked straight away for VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on Lebara and it's a couple of years old now.

I will try the fix above and report back if it worked.

There are complaints showing up over the internet for this problem, and it seems Google blame Lebara and Lebara blame Google. It is going to be a simple flag that needs setting to allow the settings to be visible and switched on, and I thought the whole point of Carrier Settings on Android was to be able to easily fix problems like this. Trouble is whilst they are blaming each other, the issue isn't being escalated to someone who could actually do the changes required.

Just to mention got this problem on partners Pixel 7a. Kind of assumed a new device like the Pixel 7a would work with Lebara and have all the latest carrier settings and config... but no. Lebara even sent an email saying it was enabled and to turn it on, but no settings are made available for VoLTE on the Pixel 7a with Lebara.

My own Xiaomi phone worked straight away for VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on Lebara and it's a couple of years old now.

I will try the fix above and report back if it worked.

There are complaints showing up over the internet for this problem, and it seems Google blame Lebara and Lebara blame Google. It is going to be a simple flag that needs setting to allow the settings to be visible and switched on, and I thought the whole point of Carrier Settings on Android was to be able to easily fix problems like this. Trouble is whilst they are blaming each other, the issue isn't being escalated to someone who could actually do the changes required.
It’s crazy how this is slipping by.

Sponsored Links
wifi calling - Lebara (vodafone) say my 'phone is not supported. Three however do support it (dual sim). I did have a chat with someone at Lebara a while back.
Some online "experts" say vodafone do not support it as it was not bought from them. Suspect this will be the same story for a few handsets and networks.
Does not bother me at all.

@Mr Choo if I purchase a phone from Lebara or Asda, and volte and WiFi calling doesn't work because I didn't purchase it from Vodafone what is my legal recourse?

I bought my phone from Amazon SIM-free, and it has worked out of the box with all of EE (1p), Three and Vodafone for VoLTE and wi-fi calling, no fiddling required, the setting was available from day one. I think this "doesn't work if not purchased from us" is a bit of backside-covering from Voda.

"The not purchased from us" is just something I read online. The Lebara man just quoted vodafone "not supported".
The lack of said function does not bother me.
meritez - If these functions are the reason you purchased the item I would speak to the seller. I would like to think they would sort you out with one that does.

This problem is definitely not resolved, there are posts from last year when Lebara went live with VoWiFi about this. Lebara's tech team respond like robots saying it's been escalated with Google. Only pixels purchased directly from Vodafone will work on Lebara VoLTE and VoWiFi. No other Pixels work. Believe me I've tried raising with Lebara CEO office and they just don't care.

Google are just as bad, their chat tells you to send feedback but users have been doing this for months. With the 3g switch off there's going to be an impact and I don't understand why there isn't more industry noise about this as this seems to be a wider industry problem since it's replicated across other devices and other mainly MVNOs, but then we know Ofcom have no teeth. This to me should be a news story on this website due to the impact.

Sponsored Links
My unlocked Pixel 3a has WiFi calling with a Vodafone PAYG SIM, not tried a Lebara SIM.
I've had to install a Magisk module (root stuff) to get my Puxel 3a to use volte & WiFi calling.

Only goes to show the underlying network supports it and it's just a software switch.

Very interested to hear any feedback as this has hundreds of comments from Pixel users online.
He says he doesn't really work with the Pixel team, he does more in terms of actually writing the apps - he wrote out most of Gmail for Android. He said he doesn't know if he'd be able to get it escalated like he could with an app issue but he said he'd try. I'll come back with any more updates I can get.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3492)
  3. Politics (2499)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1944)
  9. Statistics (1766)
  10. 4G (1641)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1439)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1218)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1113)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules