Sponsored Links

Lebara Wifi / Tethering from phone

redcupmat

Casual Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a working hotspot from a mobile phone using a Lebara SIM?

I was using my Lebara SIM with a 4g router and it worked well. So I decided to port my main phone number over and wanted to tether from my phone instead. To my surprise, the hotspot would not transfer any data making it useless. My phone hotspot worked well with giffgaff.

Searching online seemed to bring up almost no info on this.

Are Lebara just blocking phones from using the hotspot feature, but still advertising it as a supported feature?

On the Lebara support chat, I was told to contact my phone provider as they have no specific settings for hotspot.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a working hotspot from a mobile phone using a Lebara SIM?

I was using my Lebara SIM with a 4g router and it worked well. So I decided to port my main phone number over and wanted to tether from my phone instead. To my surprise, the hotspot would not transfer any data making it useless. My phone hotspot worked well with giffgaff.

Searching online seemed to bring up almost no info on this.

Are Lebara just blocking phones from using the hotspot feature, but still advertising it as a supported feature?

On the Lebara support chat, I was told to contact my phone provider as they have no specific settings for hotspot.
Are you on an iPhone?

Sponsored Links
Yes, just tested it for you. Using a Moto G5 dual sim handset which is a few years old now.

Okay, that's weird. I was able to tether on Lebara on my phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 9) and I don't see why you can't. I vaguely remember something to do with the option not appearing on iPhones but now I think of it I think that was Lycamobile.

Okay, that's weird. I was able to tether on Lebara on my phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 9) and I don't see why you can't. I vaguely remember something to do with the option not appearing on iPhones but now I think of it I think that was Lycamobile.
Thanks for confirming that it worked for you. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
How old is the SIM?
Assume you have checked settings?
  • Name: Lebara Internet
  • APN: uk.lebara.mobi
  • Username: wap
  • Password: wap
MMS settings:
SIM is around 6 months old.

I just reset all network setting on my phone and added the same settings you mentioned.

Still no internet on any connected devices.

Sponsored Links
Single SIM L09 with the latest operating system available.
This is a common problem with P20, sometimes you have to back up and reset the mobile completely, gremlins!

try this first:

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Network > Access Point Name > and Delete the "Hotspot APN" - if it is there, then reboot and try again.

2) failing that, reset all network settings (system, reset, network settings reset), reset the APN (wireless & networks> mobile network > access point name > menu (three dots top right) add a new (Lebara(B) APN with the Leb settings.

Or rename the existing lebara APN or delete it and use this for it coming in as a network setting:

Hi did you find a solution to this? I ha Evan iPhone and a lebara sim and also cannot tether. Thank you

I just noticed the exact same issue on iPhone , it was fine before . I am with Lebara since December and it was fine with tethering since then , I have used tethering from past 2 months now , also I updated my iOS from 14 to 15 recently. So not sure entirely if it’s iOS 15 problem or something has changed in Lebara

Hi - posting my experience in case it helps someone. Slightly different phone but same issue.

I have a Huawei p30 lite, tethering worked fine with o2, I moved to Lebara, and the data worked fine but although I could tether/connect to my devices no data flowed.
Lebara chat etc provided no help other than saying the sim was not blocked - the issue was possibly the phone.
So I tested Lebara SIM in a Samsung phone - it worked and tethered
I tested in a different p30 - same problem.
Long story short - I deleted completely the APNs. Rebooted. Created a new APN manually using:
name L
APN. uk.lebara.mobi
Username WAP
Password. WAP

Rebooted

It works

(I did not have to delete any other settings/ resort to factory settings etc)

Sponsored Links
Hi - posting my experience in case it helps someone. Slightly different phone but same issue.

I have a Huawei p30 lite, tethering worked fine with o2, I moved to Lebara, and the data worked fine but although I could tether/connect to my devices no data flowed.
Lebara chat etc provided no help other than saying the sim was not blocked - the issue was possibly the phone.
So I tested Lebara SIM in a Samsung phone - it worked and tethered
I tested in a different p30 - same problem.
Long story short - I deleted completely the APNs. Rebooted. Created a new APN manually using:
name L
APN. uk.lebara.mobi
Username WAP
Password. WAP

Rebooted

It works

(I did not have to delete any other settings/ resort to factory settings etc)
You are a life saver.

Thought I would just add to this as iPhone 12 user swapped from EE to Lebara SIM.

Got the text through to say number had ported out with the EE SIM in with Lebara.
Wanted to test. So speed test from the phone. Then a speed test from laptop using wifi tethering. Couldn't be seen - no worries I thought - I'll go into settings turn it off and on again to make it visible. No "Personal Hotspot" menu.
Hmmm. Quick google came across this post. So I checked all APN settings. The APN settings are repeated for "Mobile Data" "LTE Setup (optional)" and "Personal Hotspot" - the phone had automatically set a mixture of Lebara and VF APN settings. Changed all settings (including MMS to Lebara settings) - the personal hotspot was set to VF APN now corrected - got the Personal Hotspot menu back on phone and can now tether to phone again.

Interesting. I have an iPhone SE and swapped from Three to Lebara. Hotspot worked fine. The APN settings had been auto set to Vodafone. I’ve just had to manually change them to Lebara to get data while roaming abroad. Hotspot evidently still works as I am using it now.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules