Sponsored Links

Liberty broadband investors

Finally, someone recognised a good business! Do you think that this will mean there maybe a small price drop for single home users to compete with ADSL?

Hopefully so. I just want 1Gb though (It's *never* enough is it). Here's the full story from TheRegister.co.uk...

Liberty Broadband gets new funding
By Tim Richardson
Posted: 09/10/2002 at 10:45 GMT

Liberty Broadband - formerly known as Tele2 (UK) - has secured new funding following its severance from parent Millicom International Cellular (MIC) earlier this year.

A group of investors under the name of Birmingham Online has provided new funding to support the wireless broadband outfit, giving the company renewed security after a difficult couple of months.

During the summer it restructured the business while maintaining a service for its 3,000 broadband customers.

Now it's looking to increase its customer base and develop new areas for its business to grow.

In the next few weeks the company is expected to launch a new community broadband initiative in which groups can set up their own broadband network in areas currently not served by xDSL or cable services.

Liberty Broadband would build the wireless network, supply and install the equipment and train people to run it.

The company claims such a service would be of interest to business parks currently out of reach of conventional broadband technologies, with firms coming together to fund the network.

Regional authorities and some local ISPs keen to roll-out broadband in rural areas, for example, are also likely to be interested.

The cost of such a service would be more than xDSL or cable services with rough estimates suggesting that it would cost 100 users around £50 a month for the wireless broadband.

However, with large parts of the country currently unable to get xDSL or cable then any alternative has to be good news for punters.

Being involved in the last initiatives they had like this (get 100 people to sign in your area and we will install!), I wouldn’t hold my breath. They promised people that they would come to their areas. they had a massive response and installed 0. I hope that Tele2 keep to their pledges this time because it could be the best of the best in the SDSL market.

Sponsored Links
That was mainly because their main investors suddenly pulled out, leaving them high and dry. They, of course, don't say that on their website, but that would be the main reason for it.
Anyway, im more concerned with their current prices as I am already covered by them, but just a £5/month drop would probably help me pursuade the powers that be to get me wdsl.

I think he was refering to
<a href="http://www.bringingbroadband2you.co.uk" target="_blank">www.bringingbroadband2you.co.uk</a>
Which was tele2 :p

Yes, i know he was, but its kinda deviating from my original point about current prices where the service is already avialable

Hmm,
There are 66 pre-registrations for ADSL where I live. I wonder if it will get upgraded in the next year, cause if so I dont want wdsl, as it is just that little bit more expensive.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules