Sponsored Links

Line Speed vs data rate

I might be speaking out my my A**. But has anyone got any ideas or explain why the below is happening?

Previous ISP Router sync rate 1152kbps max D/L rate achieved 120kB/s
Current ISP Router sync rate 1024Kbps max D/L rate achieved 60kB/s
(sorry for mixed units)

????

I have used Dan Ewells Broadband speed test program (Dan Elwell - www.broadbandspeedtest.net) To check the line. This program seems to do a good comprehensive check and confirms my crude results:

Good ping time
only 3 hops to Giganews (less than 7ms)
No packet losses.
Download rate from anywhere max'ed at 60kB/s

Checked out router mtu etc all ok... Like I said only difference is Eclipse (to my mind that is).

Now to me this suggests that I am being capped. As the hardware is exactly the same. Same house same exchange etc etc. Only difference I moved to Eclipse. I chose their highest option to ensure I achieved the 'best' bandwidth posible. Eclipse are taking 20min+ to respond to a phone call (thats if the line does not drop)

Ho hum
So any thoughts or experience in interpreting this issues folks
Help much apreciated!

Hi,

Looks like your on the end of the line, the reason you are getting the speeds is that if your line syncs at between 576 and under 1152 then you will have a 576 BRAS profile where is you are in sync at 1152 or higher upto 1728 i think or there abouts you will have a 1152 BRAS profile and so on.

LeeH

Thanks LeeH, I think I understand what your saying...
I guess it fall down to:

My 'old' upto 2 meg service would give me 1000kbps download. But new service 'up 8meg' - (which I never hoped to achieve speed, as you point out I am too far away from the exchange) only gives me 500Kbps so much for progress.

But I don't understand why the router will sync at upto 1056Kbps yet I get a data rate of no more than 500kbps - ever. Perhaps Im just stupid, but I thought the sync rate meant something more than just numbers. I assumed that the sync indicate the max download you could achieve...

I ran the BT speedtest domain via my ISP login and BT login and the reported ISP download speed is much lower than that quoted for BT.

I wait to see what Eclipse have to say! Oh the joy of the digital revolution!

Perhaps, LeeH you know more about the networks than a competitor mentioned above :D

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules